Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A bit concerned about my pre-season pick (Spurs)

Should I be worried? 8 games back.

Default Re: A bit concerned about my pre-season pick (Spurs)

Started with Alba, tbh.

Seriously, I wouldn't be too worried. We're missing our best player and he's back in a couple of weeks. Our schedule for the rest of the season is pretty good too.

Honestly, if there were a guarantee that we make the Playoffs I'd happily take the 7th seed. Higher draft pick and facing either Golden State, Portland or Memphis in round 1?

They are not winning it this year, teams are figuring out their stay of play.

Quote Originally Posted by nba_55
    They are not winning it this year, teams are figuring out their stay of play.
    They're not winning because they can't repeat. Spurs tradition

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Started with Alba, tbh.

Seriously, I wouldn't be too worried. We're missing our best player and he's back in a couple of weeks. Our schedule for the rest of the season is pretty good too.

Honestly, if there were a guarantee that we make the Playoffs I'd happily take the 7th seed. Higher draft pick and facing either Golden State, Portland or Memphis in round 1?
    I may be off, but I don't think you need to fear GS with a healthy Duncan/Manu/Kawhi, UNLESS Bogut is 100%

Portland is a terrific team, but I still think they rely too much on the jumper. Memphis is always tough if healthy, and it's difficult playing them in their house.

Blame the female coach.

They're not winning it imo but they're also not nearly as weak as the level they're playing at right now. Fully healthy and in-form they're still a 60+ win, finals level team. And by playoff time I think they reach that level. Seeding might kill them though, playing a team like Memphis or GS in the 1st round would be brutal.

I still think it's OKC's year, even with them getting dismantled last game. Durant looked red hot the first two games after his return but after that he came back down to earth and looked like what he is - a dude returning from injury. Still the best player in the world, but it's gonna take time for those first two games to become more of the norm. 30 games of chemistry building from now...I think OKC's performance will match the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I may be off, but I don't think you need to fear GS with a healthy Duncan/Manu/Kawhi, UNLESS Bogut is 100%

Portland is a terrific team, but I still think they rely too much on the jumper. Memphis is always tough if healthy, and it's difficult playing them in their house.
    Sure, every Western team is a tough out, but it's all about matchups.

Houston and the Thunder are the black death for me. We need to avoid them at all costs.

Dallas pushed us to 7 last year and I don't know what to make with their new squad.

So that leaves the Clippers, Warriors, Trailblazers and Grizzlies, all teams we've had success against in the Playoffs.

I doubt Bogut will be healthy though.. If he's healthy I'm scared of them, but not if he isn't. Call me cocky, but I just don't fear those other three.

Houston and the Thunder are the black death for me. We need to avoid them at all costs.

Dallas pushed us to 7 last year and I don't know what to make with their new squad.

So that leaves the Clippers, Warriors, Trailblazers and Grizzlies, all teams we've had success against in the Playoffs.

I doubt Bogut will be healthy though.. If he's healthy I'm scared of them, but not if he isn't. Call me cocky, but I just don't fear those other three.
    What makes Houston so tough?

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    They're not winning it imo but they're also not nearly as weak as the level they're playing at right now. Fully healthy and in-form they're still a 60+ win, finals level team. And by playoff time I think they reach that level. Seeding might kill them though, playing a team like Memphis or GS in the 1st round would be brutal.

I still think it's OKC's year, even with them getting dismantled last game. Durant looked red hot the first two games after his return but after that he came back down to earth and looked like what he is - a dude returning from injury. Still the best player in the world, but it's gonna take time for those first two games to become more of the norm. 30 games of chemistry building from now...I think OKC's performance will match the talent.
    So by playoffs time, Spurs will reach the finals level team , yet they won't make the finals despite reaching that level?

You're afraid of Houston but not GS? Does not compute.

Houston is ass compared to the other teams in that conference. They're talented and can make the 2nd round but a full strength Spurs team would destroy them, as would GS, Memphis, healthy OKC, and Portland and Dallas would beat them although it'd be closer. They've had a good season so far but they scream 2nd round ceiling, like they always do.
    Quote Originally Posted by nba_55
    So by playoffs time, Spurs will reach the finals level team level, yet they won't make the finals despite reaching that level?
    Yeah. It's not like there's only 1 championship contender per conference every year.
    Last edited by Milbuck; 01-07-2015 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    What makes Houston so tough?
    Too much athleticism, too much offensive rebounding. Not to mention they have a Spur killer in Harden (who usually comes up short in the Playoffs but
    you can't assume that'll happen again).

They've won 8 of the last 9 against us, and a bunch of them were blowouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Houston is ass compared to the other teams in that conference. They're talented and can make the 2nd round but a full strength Spurs team would destroy them, as would GS, Memphis, healthy OKC, and probably Portland and Dallas as well. They've had a good season so far but they scream 2nd round ceiling, like they always do.
    Yeah. It's not like there's only 1 championship contender per conference every year.
    I interpretated that ''level'' thing differently, I get it know.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    You're afraid of Houston but not GS? Does not compute.
    I'm not afraid of GS without their defensive anchor and second most important player.

Going small ball with David Lee in the Playoffs is a recipe for disaster. And we had a very good win against them earlier in the season.