Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is MJ Hating?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Is MJ Hating?

the weaker brand of basketball played today is obvious - although today's game has spacing that generates open shots, it takes time to set up those open shots, so the pace is slower.

also, setting up and maintaining the spacing requires that players remain behind the 3-point line on a perpetual basis, which limits the range and diversity of player movement on the floor - the spacing often looks rigid and marching-band-like with predictable setups and less instinctive player movements.

and of course, the very intent of spacing - to get open shots - ends up commodotizing players skills, since anyone can make open shots, as you can see below: patty mills, to green, to splitter, to diaw.

otoh, in the absence of spacing to generate the type of open shots that anyone can make, previous eras required a higher level of individually-unique skill to make better-contested shots..

also, without having to set up spacing that keeps players behind the 3-point line and restricts player-movement, teams could play much faster, players made quicker decisions, and the game was played more instinctively.

Last edited by 3ball; 01-04-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Except there's players that played in a number of eras.

Players such as GP, Horry, Harper, Shaq, Miller, etc.etc. played in multiple eras. Oh... and even Kobe has stated that today's era is weak and soft.

MJ played in today's era as well (well.. early 2k)
    Yeah, and how about McGrady, Duncan and Garnett all saying it is harder to score now? All playing over several eras.

Let me guess, you'll ignore that?

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Has-been trying to stay relevant in the Lebron era.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Yeah, and how about McGrady, Duncan and Garnett all saying it is harder to score now? All playing over several eras.

provide us with those quotes where mcgrady, duncan and garnett said that.

secondly, there are far more guys saying it's easier to score today than harder - we can compare down the line and it's pretty clear and not close.. even the NBA says so.

also, we are never going to hear Jordan get specific and say EXACTLY why today's players would struggle in previous eras - that requires too much minutia for any interview he would give...

but at the end of the day, i think mj is talking about two things: the spacing and the physicality because they are the two biggest differences between the eras - and everything is harder without spacing, especially if you have to deal with physicality as well.

he must think today's brand of basketball is simply easier and requires fewer hard and/or quick decisions (setting up the spacing makes the game slower, so you can react slower and take your time more with decisions today - just a totally different type of basketball than no spacing).
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Did OP JUST find this interview?

Are we just making up shyt now?

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09sC...nIsTheRealKing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsj_...annel=triklops

Interesting thing about Artest calling MJ the toughest cover, he never got to play prime MJ. He would have been referring to Wizards MJ.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Lol at "zone" which has been proven to not be a true zone but something that is used as often as palming is called.

Anywho, KG and TD are bigs, the rules have changed to benefit perimeter players.

Also, I could've sworn Tmac stated past eras were harder.

Lol at "zone" which has been proven to not be a true zone but something that is used as often as palming is called.

Anywho, KG and TD are bigs, the rules have changed to benefit perimeter players.

Crazy that people dont get it. When people talk about Zone they mean the fact that you no longer have to guard your man if you dont want to. Obviously with the 3 seconds they didnt want to implement a full zone.

They are talking about their experiences on the court, not what is regarded as real zone or not, or what basketball purists care to comment on in regard to technicalities. The rule changes, by their own experience, have made it harder to dominate as an individual.

KG was a face up big, who drifted to the perimeter as well.

remember - spacing, defensive 3 seconds, and zone are three different things.

prime Lebron can finish through contact, so i think he'd be fine in MJ's era. he'd be a scarier defender too, able to handcheck opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    prime Lebron can finish through contact, so i think he'd be fine in MJ's era. he'd be a scarier defender too, able to handcheck opponents.
    he'd have to take a ton of mid-range though, so his efficiency would be down and he'd have to increase his volume to maintain the same production.

but he's not a volume guy, nor does he like shooting mid-range, so he might go the other way and take on a smaller load altogether back then... at a minimum, his efficiency would be materially lower.

lebron would also have to finish ON defenders amongst heavy paint traffic as a standard, just like jordan had to, so his at-rim percentages would also be lower.

i would also guess his assists would be down, since it's easier to pass and get assists WITH spacing, than without... also, with a faster pace, he would be expected to play faster and make quicker decisions.

I would guess his numbers to be 24-26ppg, 6 rebs, 5 assists (i feel like i'm being generous - i haven't considered the higher physicality and hand-checking)... initially, his FG% would be really low, like 40%, maybe less, as he adjusts to no-spacing, faster pace, a heavy does of mid-range, higher physicality, and having to finish amongst more traffic in the paint... eventually his FG% would stabilize at around 46-47%.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    They are talking about Zone defense, it's pretty explicit, they aren't saying it's hard to score today. Dat reading skills.

KICKS: If you guys could change one rule in the League, what would it be?
    KG: No zone.
    TD: Yeah, the zone.

How many teams uses zone? How many times do you see it on a NBA game? 3 point shooting kills the zone. Notice McGrady whining how facking Wally szczerbiak can create for himself but him Mcgrady can't? how ridicule is that? Zone sucks for ball dominant players.

That's why Lebron worked his game off the ball, because no only he choked historically, but mavs girlie zone stopped him.

Duncan 00-01 - 22ppg
    Duncan 01-02 - 25ppg

Garnett 00-01 - 22.9ppg
    Garnett 01-02 - 22.0ppg

McGrady 00-01 - 26.8ppg
    McGrady 02-03 - 32.8ppg

[COLOR="Red"]Yep it really slowed them down.[/COLOR]
    It didn't slow them down because of this:

here were a series of rule changes spanning from 1996-2004, but the biggest of them came in 2001. The intention of the changes was to open up the game. These rule changes included taking away the hand check, allowing for zone defense, installing the defensive three-seconds rule and other more minor changes.

All of these changes were intended to allow for a more "open" basketball game that allowed the perimeter player a better opportunity to drive through the lane and make more exciting plays. In effect, the goal of the rules was to make more "Michael Jordans."
    Just because a player says it doesn't like sleeved shirt and make it harder to score, it doesn't make it true.

Nice try though.