2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Question How has Marcus Smart graded out so far?

Curious, Celtic fans, or just great NBA observers.

What are your thoughts thus far on Marcus Smart? I haven't caught any Celtic games, but have seen some good (and bad) highlights of Marcus.

What's the general sentiment?

Default Re: How has Marcus Smart graded out so far?

He had an ankle injury and since returning he's been less sharp and quick. He hasn't looked 100%. Either way he's been exactly what everyone expected out of college: offensively inefficient but elite defensive instincts.

He's having more chances lately. He's going through a lot of growing pains from becoming an NBA player with the ball in his hands. It's gotta happen sooner rather than later.

One thing that sticks out is how well he has performed under pressure. He has orchestrated two insane comebacks this season when the rest of the team was sucking it more than usual.

He should work on tightening his handle. He's pretty safe with the ball, but if he kept the ball and his body lower to the ground he could get where he wants to go faster. He needs to get into the paint more and learn how to make things happen if he wants to run a successful team.

Banned

While I am really happy with Orlando taking Payton and how he looks, Smart has looked promising aswell. I wasn't high on him pre Draft but he's been solid and looks better than exum at pretty much everything. I don't see a star in him but I see the kind of contributor who winning teams can really use in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    While I am really happy with Orlando taking Payton and how he looks, Smart has looked promising aswell. I wasn't high on him pre Draft but he's been solid and looks better than exum at pretty much everything.
    On the topic of Payton: Elfrid Payton is cool, but I don't see him as a capable starter for the long-term.

I see him becoming a solid back-up PG to set the pace and keep a team going. He's definitely more valuable than Exum.