Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: how many players have been argued as the GOAT

[QUOTE=MJistheGOAT]For me it

Banned

The goat to me is whos career youd want surgically attached to your team going forward

Kareems career is undisputed goat

Even I dont believe kobe is the goat. But he has had millions argue in his favor at certain times

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    But the bigger mystery is, who do you personally think is the GOAT? For the life of me I can't figure out who your choice is.

Hard to notice ...

Seriously speaking, I have MJ as GOAT, but I accept the Wilt and KAJ arguments without too much problems.

Banned

I think the percentage of people who thought kobe was goat went up and down throughoit the years

2006 - 30%
    2007 - 25%
    2008 - 20%
    2009 - 25%
    2010 - 30%
    2011 - 15%
    2012 - 20%
    2013 - 25%
    2014 - right now 15%. When he passed mj in points -25%

It goes up and down. One day youre trash. The next day youre a triple double goat candidate

People are all about what you did lately

Quote Originally Posted by MJistheGOAT

Hard to notice ...

Seriously speaking, I have MJ as GOAT, but I accept the Wilt and KAJ arguments without too much problems.
    My pick's Kareem, but really, a convincing case can be made for any of those. I throw Magic into the mix because he's my favorite player and I think he had the greatest overall career since Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    During his peak milestones he was above 25% of the population for minimal requirements to be known as "argued"

I never said he had a majority
    What population? Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Russell, and Bird have all been argued as GOAT by reputable, knowledgeable, and credible individuals. In terms of popularity, perhaps Kobe can be argued as number one, but popularity doesn't constitue him being legitimately in the GOAT discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    My pick's Kareem, but really, a convincing case can be made for any of those. I throw Magic into the mix because he's my favorite player and I think he had the greatest overall career since Russell.
    Outside of that GOAT trio, I consider Magic and Bird a little short case because of defense, longevity and stacked teams.

But same skilled/high IQ/crafty Bird with MJ athleticism = undisputed GOAT.

Outside of that GOAT trio, I consider Magic and Bird a little short case because of defense, longevity and stacked teams.

But same skilled/high IQ/crafty Bird with MJ athleticism = undisputed GOAT.
    Russell was certainly in the discussion at one point.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

they were never really argued as the goat. were always in the shadows of russell/wilt/kareem IMO
    Nah, they had GOAT talks. In the mid 80s, Bird was getting GOAT talks. That was the peak of his talks. Magic got GOAT talks in the late 80s, but not as much as Bird. Bird had a lot of hype.

MJ got GOAT talks in the late 80s too tho. They pretty much called him GOAT and one man army or something along those lines. But they bashed him for taking too many shots at times compared to Magic and Bird until he won and then it just spiked up from there.

Anyway, you still have ppl who think that Magic was the GOAT b-ball player. As well as Kareem, Russell, Wilt and MJ.
    Last edited by Micku; 01-02-2015 at 10:32 PM.

they were never really argued as the goat. were always in the shadows of russell/wilt/kareem IMO
    Actually Bird was being called the GOAT while playing. Magic never got that praise, but Bird certainly did.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Nah, they had GOAT talks. In the mid 80s, Bird was getting GOAT talks. That was the peak of his talks. Magic got GOAT talks in the late 80s.

MJ got GOAT talks in the late 80s too tho. They pretty much called him GOAT and one man army or something along those lines. But they bashed him for taking too many shots at times compared to Magic and Bird until he won and then it just spiked up from there.

Anyway, you still have ppl who think that Magic was the GOAT b-ball player. As well as Kareem, Russell, Wilt and MJ.
    I consider Russell a not so strong case because of offense and epic stacked teams compared to competition, when Wilt arrived, he often rape Russell in individual duels, but lost because of weaker teams [COLOR="White"](and choking)[/COLOR]

Basketball Genius

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Actually Bird was being called the GOAT while playing. Magic never got that praise, but Bird certainly did.
    because he was white

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I consider Russell a not so strong case because of offense and epic stacked teams compared to competition, when Wilt arrived, he often rape Russell in individual duels, but lost because of weaker teams [COLOR="White"](and choking)[/COLOR]
    It's ok if you don't think so. I'm just saying Russell had GOAT talks. You still find articles of ppl writing Russell as the GOAT player. Not nearly as many as MJ, but you still find them. This is all subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe
    because he was white
    Yeah, it contributed to the hype. Before he came into the league, they called him the great white hope. Prime Bird had the skills to back it up tho. Dude was the best player in game for a bit there. Him and Magic basically revolutionize the game.
    Last edited by Micku; 01-02-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    It's ok if you don't think so. I'm just saying Russell had GOAT talks. You still find articles of ppl writing Russell as the GOAT player. Not nearly as many as MJ, but you still find them. This is all subjective.
    Ok, i was only giving my opinion. When were the GOAT Russel talks (60s pre-Wilt??)

Russell
    Wilt
    Kareem
    MJ

I was young, but I don't remember people arguing that Bird or Magic were in the GOAT discussion over guys like Russell or Wilt... or Kareem, who was still playing and racking up titles. Since Kareem only MJ has really been argued as GOAT, and nobody since MJ has had a legit argument.