HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Andre Drummond been doing the old Moses Malone

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A reporter pointed out to Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond late Tuesday that one of the most skillful offensive players at his position in NBA history, Moses Malone, was particularly adept at the purposeful miss.

One way for Drummond to improve his offensive game is to emulate the former Philadelphia 76ers great by missing shots in such a fashion that he can exploit his NBA-best offensive rebounding acumen.

Three times in the 109-86 win over Orlando, Drummond scored after rebounding his own misses, and at least a couple of those were purposely misdirected so he could corral a predictable carom.

"Yeah, I'd say sometimes I do," Drummond said, when asked if he indeed plots some misses directionally. "I'm not going to lie. I do sometimes. I know I can go get it and put it right back in."
    http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...ummond_47.html
    I for one applaud his honesty and wish that some of these other cats who like to pad fess up.

Default Re: Andre Drummond been doing the old Moses Malone

I expected a...different story

NBA Superstar

Dudes thinking so much about stats they be forcing misses....

NBA Superstar

I think there could be some truth there, but I believe it's more a function of Drummond's shortcomings than it is him trying to statpad. Here's an example of what they're likely talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqX1FCJ7HEA#t=0m52s

His touch is coming along more than I thought it might at this point, but he's still generally awful out of the post. So I think there's certain situations he puts himself in where the chances of him making the shot would be relatively slim, even if he tried his hardest. As a result, I can buy the notion that he flips some shots up quickly if he sees a lane to go in and make it easier via rebound.

It's kind of like a self-lob off the glass but uglier.

Decent playground baller dgaras's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think there could be some truth there, but I believe it's more a function of Drummond's shortcomings than it is him trying to statpad. Here's an example of what they're likely talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqX1FCJ7HEA#t=0m52s

His touch is coming along more than I thought it might at this point, but he's still generally awful out of the post. So I think there's certain situations he puts himself in where the chances of him making the shot would be relatively slim, even if he tried his hardest. As a result, I can buy the notion that he flips some shots up quickly if he sees a lane to go in and make it easier via rebound.

It's kind of like a self-lob off the glass but uglier.
    this

its a rare skill that not many have

This man is really coming along. Within the next two years, watch out nah!!!

Not airballing my layups anymore

Missing from the quote, but from the article-

The first objective is to score.

"Most of the time, I just try to finish the play," Drummond said.

When that doesn't work out, he sometimes can resort to his backup plan, depending on several factors, including the positioning of other players.

"I've got a quick second jump," he said.

Not really about stat padding here...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sundog67
    Missing from the quote, but from the article-

The first objective is to score.

"Most of the time, I just try to finish the play," Drummond said.

When that doesn't work out, he sometimes can resort to his backup plan, depending on several factors, including the positioning of other players.

"I've got a quick second jump," he said.

Not really about stat padding here...
    Right on. Definitely has more of a feel of a player putting himself in a certain position before realizing, "Oh crap, I'm an awful shooter from here" then resigning to dumping and chasing.

I don't think it's about getting an extra rebound, It's more about getting a shot from a better angle. If he knows he's going to get the rebound it's just a pass to himself, or a dribble off the backboard lol

Banned

I don't think he really has to "force" a miss considering his lack of touch around the rim

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    I don't think he really has to "force" a miss considering his lack of touch around the rim
    Yeah, I'd call it more of a surrender. Kind of like a "Who am I kidding, I can't make this, I better just get a head start to the rim as I release."