Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: Are The '95 Rockets the luckiest and most opportune Champions in NBA History?

Quote Originally Posted by Audio One
    Any championship team that caught THAT many breaks as Houston did that year, yeah I'd love to read about it. And no, Houston didn't beat any great teams that year, as none of those teams came close to winning a title before or afterwards. Using win totals to justify how good a team is/was is horrible logic, going by that the '98 Sonics and '08 Warriors were better teams than the '95 Rockets...
    The Suns were two years removed from the Finals, a series in which they were a Paxson three pointer away from forcing a Game 7 at home. The Jazz were in the WCF in 94', 96' and Finals in 97' and 98'. Both teams were perennial contenders during that period, although it is true the Suns' window closed after 1995. The Magic were a rising team which backed up their 95' run with a 60 win season and a trip to the ECF the following year, losing to the legendary 72-10 Jordan-Pippen Bulls. Had Shaq remained in Orlando they would have continued to contend.

The only outlier was the Spurs. 95' was their only serious playoff run during the Robinson era previous to Duncan being drafted.

Local High School Star Shaquille O'Neal's Avatar

Default Re: Are The '95 Rockets the luckiest and most opportune Champions in NBA History?

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Contender for worst post ever. A wall of text that could have been summarised into: 'Rockets won because they were better than the teams they faced over a 7 game series'. You can blame injuries, choke artists or the tooth fairy, but the same could be done for virtually every championship ever won by a team that isn't universally considered the best at the beginning of the playoffs. They were the best when it counted, that's all.

Ultimately Hakeem did this:

1st round (3-2 vs Jazz): 35-9-4 on 57%
    2nd round (4-3 vs Suns): 30-9-4 on 50%
    WCF (4-2 vs Spurs): 35-13-5-4 on 56% vs MVP David Robinson
    Finals (4-0 vs Magic): 33-12-6 on 48%

Rockets defeated 60, 59, 62 and 57 teams on route to the championship. Arguably the GOAT individual playoff run.

How Akeem's ass taste son?

Only wish you could give me back the minute or so I wasted reading that diatribe.
    This. Except for the image of Hakeem's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    I would take out 2011 Mavs and add 06, 12 heat as well.

You really are pitiful. Swear you're borderline retarded (and i'm being kind).

The OP is saying that the Rockets lucked out after sweeping a team?

One thing OP forgot to mention was Sonics choking during those years factor in the Rockets winning it all too.

The '87 Lakers beat 3 NBDL teams in the western playoffs and then played a Celtics team with 2/3rds of the roster injured in some way.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Audio One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    The Suns were two years removed from the Finals, a series in which they were a Paxson three pointer away from forcing a Game 7 at home. The Jazz were in the WCF in 94', 96' and Finals in 97' and 98'. Both teams were perennial contenders during that period, although it is true the Suns' window closed after 1995. The Magic were a rising team which backed up their 95' run with a 60 win season and a trip to the ECF the following year, losing to the legendary 72-10 Jordan-Pippen Bulls. Had Shaq remained in Orlando they would have continued to contend.

The only outlier was the Spurs. 95' was their only serious playoff run during the Robinson era previous to Duncan being drafted.
    Like I said, expansion, Jordan's suspension and the influx of CBA talent weakened the NBA product to an all-time quality low. None of those teams Houston beat ever won a title before or afterwards. Tim Duncan in '03 taking out that Lakeset dynasty is better than Olajuwon EVER did. And again, WHO CARES about arbitrary win totals, as this implies that a) those teams were great in an all-time sense, and b) you must not think that highly of Olajuwon to give him so much credit for beating the teams he was supposed to beat, even if on the road. You win more games in the regular season, you have HCA, he did what he was supposed to do, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    The OP is saying that the Rockets lucked out after sweeping a team?
    Houston caught a grip of breaks in virtually every round that year, even if you want to exclude the final round. I'm aware all title teams have a lil' bit of luck, but I just wanted to know if there was a team that caught THAT many breaks. Honestly, the defending champs were very fortunate to not get bounced in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    One thing OP forgot to mention was Sonics choking during those years factor in the Rockets winning it all too.
    You know, I was gonna mention that, but I decided to remain somewhat bipartisan. I also believe the '95 Lakers would've gave 'em that work, had they upset San Antonio

lol no, you can only face the teams that are in front of you and Hakeem owned the entire western conference frontcourt

Another thing I don't get, is why do Akeem supporters give him SO MUCH DAMN credit for outplaying the "MVP", when they believe the MVP should've been Olajuwon's anyways? Now, if you want to say that Akeem outplayed the best player in the NBA that year, then that'd be more accurate

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    lol no, you can only face the teams that are in front of you and Hakeem owned the entire western conference frontcourt
    Who does this frontcourt consist of, besides someone that you'd probably not even think twice about choosing before Olajuwon

Hakeem ass pounded everyone in that run. MVPs, Shaq, you name it. All while Clyde Drexler finally provided the necessary superstar support on the perimeter. Every team needs it fair share of luck, but to insinuate they didn't earn their ring is tremendously disrespectful. Stupid actually.

Is Audio a Lazerus alt?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Hakeem ass pounded everyone in that run. MVPs, Shaq, you name it. All while Clyde Drexler finally provided the necessary superstar support on the perimeter. Every team needs it fair share of luck, but to insinuate they didn't earn their ring is tremendously disrespectful. Stupid actually.
    Never said or (meant to if I did) implied as such, all I said was that they had more luck than any team I can think of... There's nothing wrong with being extremely lucky, that team did have a lot of miracles