Default All-white suburban team vs all black Chicago team for IL HS Championship 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81KQGsp3tk

Anyone remember the "Victories Glory" sketch? The black team that is scared to play the mighty white team? I found a real life version of that sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdOySPn_Jmk

...and it really is a ****ing massacre ...the Chicago team blocks like 20+ shots (some of those kids are WAY over the rim) and run up the score by 25+ Suburban guys look way physically outclassed, don't block a single shot for comparison. Only reason they had points on the board is because they actually had good outside shooters, almost everything inside got rejected. I'm tempted to make highlights of this to some 60's music

Default Re: All-white suburban team vs all black Chicago team for IL HS Championship 1960

In AAU we had an all white team, but we played fundamental basketball.

We played in a tourney against a team of like, I kid you not, an AAU team of guys all 6'4" and taller. They were throwing lobs to each other in warm ups, laughing it up.

When the game started, the first lob someone threw up, I stepped right over in front of the dude and he took a spill. He actually got called for the foul. From that point on, it was a slaughter. I stepped on so many ankles, I elbowed so many hip bones, I boxed out on peoples thighs all game.

We beat the shit out of them.

It goes both ways, but what I've come to find, is if you can play basketball the way its supposed to be played, with angles and sharp passes and fundamentals, no amount of athleticism will help you. To a certain point its an advantage, but if you play 1950s fundamental basketball and are smart about it, you can't beat it. Hard screens, sharp cuts, boxing out.

That team we beat went to nationals. No idea how they did, but I imagine they did pretty well.
    Last edited by UK2K; 12-23-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Default Re: All-white suburban team vs all black Chicago team for IL HS Championship 1960

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    In AAU we had an all white team, but we played fundamental basketball.

We played in a tourney against a team of like, I kid you not, an AAU team of guys all 6'4" and taller. They were throwing lobs to each other in warm ups, laughing it up.

When the game started, the first lob someone threw up, I stepped right over in front of the dude and he took a spill. He actually got called for the foul. From that point on, it was a slaughter. I stepped on so many ankles, I elbowed so many hip bones, I boxed out on peoples thighs all game.

We beat the shit out of them.

It goes both ways, but what I've come to find, is if you can play basketball the way its supposed to be played, with angles and sharp passes and fundamentals, no amount of athleticism will help you.
    True but the black team in question in the game I found is actually really really good, like those guys are moving the ball and hitting shots from everywhere... they also happen to use their length and athleticism to block like 20 of the other teams shots and sweep up the lion share of rebounds, which the other team had no answers for

NBA rookie of the year

Whites dominate highschool basketball and football. They just can't produce enough talent at college and pro level.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    True but the black team in question in the game I found is actually really really good, like those guys are moving the ball and hitting shots from everywhere... they also happen to use their length and athleticism to block like 20 of the other teams shots and sweep up the lion share of rebounds, which the other team had no answers for
    The one area it does give you a big advantage is shot blocking, but our center was about 6'4" 280. His drop step with his wide ass negated any kind of blocking they could try.

That's why I like guys like Rondo so much. Watching him play, its like art. The way he sees the game, he leads cutters like a quarterback, he plays the angles, he does the little things. He's a gamer.

People hate on the Spurs, but if you are a basketball fan, a TRUE basketball fan, you can't help but to like them. The way they move the ball so smoothly, if you watch anybody who doesnt have the ball, they're never standing around, always back screening and drifting to corners, always maneuvering for position.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    White teams dominate highschool basketball and football. They just can't produce enough talent at college and pro level.
    Blacks dominate high school basketball because they're usually far superior athletically.

But a team that plays as one unit is tough to beat. See: Spurs, San Antonio

Cool video. The two forwards for Marshal really dominated the game defensively. Interesting how both teams pressed most of the game, without much success.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Cool video. The two forwards for Marshal really dominated the game defensively. Interesting how both teams pressed most of the game, without much success.
    I've watched a few championship games from that channel and time period. IL basketball championship games from that time seem pretty competitive, almost all the teams I've watched have very accurate shooters.

1956 - note both teams are integrated with a mix of black and white players, interesting because most of America was not this way at that time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUZ6euz50Q

1961 - Chick Hearn sighting!
    http://youtu.be/8u4e69Jo85M?t=5m2s

1963 - sound and video, very competitive/close game pretty cool to watch!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVC3tuX5ojA
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 12-23-2014 at 05:39 AM.

So true! Watching the Spurs play their game is a thing of beauty and beats the hell out of watching iso after iso.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    The one area it does give you a big advantage is shot blocking, but our center was about 6'4" 280. His drop step with his wide ass negated any kind of blocking they could try.

That's why I like guys like Rondo so much. Watching him play, its like art. The way he sees the game, he leads cutters like a quarterback, he plays the angles, he does the little things. He's a gamer.

People hate on the Spurs, but if you are a basketball fan, a TRUE basketball fan, you can't help but to like them. The way they move the ball so smoothly, if you watch anybody who doesnt have the ball, they're never standing around, always back screening and drifting to corners, always maneuvering for position.

Everybody was shooting the mid range jumper on prime Rip's level

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

High school players in the 60's had better fundamentals than some of the guys that just play one year in college today. They don't teach fundamentals today. Sad.