Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Quote I read on Reddit regarding MJ vs Kobe

"illegal defense" was a joke, weak ass 90s

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

You know for all this bullshit about Kobe taking 3 pointers and that's why his percentages are lower...he's averaged over 50% in two point shots ONCE IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER...and that was in the 2012-2013 season when he was past his prime. At his best...he couldn't get over 50% ever with his two point shots for a season. In contrast...Jordan has only averaged less than 50% from 2 point shots five times...Wade has averaged over 50% in 9/12 seasons...Ray Allen has done it five times...and was able to do it in 2001 in his prime when he was the main man with all the attention.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

you know you're right when all people can do is attack you.

FACT is I never denied what Thibs said was true. The 'rules' were what Thibs stated.

But

There is tons of evidence that show how teams got around rules and the rules weren't enforced like they are today.

When I have more time and I have access to footage I will work on a video showing exactly what the difference is.

But anybody with any sort of objective eye will tell you lanes are simply less crowded today than in the past. We have shown repeatedly how the league purposely changed to rules to encourage perimeter scoring. That is a FACT, can't be denied, no matter how much you scream blue and throw jabs.

Thibs also said this:

“Jordan put so much pressure on you in so many different ways,” Thibodeau said. “It’s a different game now than it was then. It was a lot more physical than it is today. You couldn’t play zone the way you can today. In some ways, having the ability to play some zone and use some zone principles helps. It’s still difficult to guard the great players. But it helps some."

So he says the game was a lot more physical in the past.

Then he says zone defense helps today, but it's still difficult to guard the best players.

So how much is it really helping?

He continues.

“And then the flip side is not being able to be as physical hurts you some. When Jordan played, you could play a lot more physical. He took a beating. All the great players take beatings. But it was probably to an extreme in the 90s. I think the game is a lot better today because they cleaned that stuff up.”

So imagine Jordan today in an NBA where the physicality has been toned down and players are protected from the extreme beatings of the 90s.
    Last edited by Poetry; 12-21-2014 at 03:47 AM.

You have to love arguments on here.

One person comes out with a plethora of comments, and OP only uses the ones that fit his argument, while completely dismissing his other comments or deeming them to be wrong.

How reliable do you think your source is if you're shitting on it yourself?