Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: 80s superteams transplanted into the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    the suns were super-stacked too and had better defenders for Jordan.

but again, i think the consensus either way is about 3 rings - by either way, i mean transplanting the Bulls back to the 80's or transplanting the 80's teams to the 90's...

3 rings while carrying the largest load ever is still goat accomplishment in the best era ever... better than 2/5 in a weak era.
    What is "largest load"? Jordan was the Bulls best scorer. He took the lions share of the shots because that was the type of player he was. As I said before, he took the lions share of the shots during the 92 Olympics.
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 12-02-2014 at 08:53 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    What is largest load? Jordan was the Bulls best scorer. He took the lions share of the shots because that was the type of player he was. As I said before, he took the lions share of the shots during the 92 Olympics.
    everything - scoring, passing, defense - he led his team in all these areas... the offense ran through him - he decided the pace of the game and the nature of the Bulls offense.. the defense reacted to him, he countered, and on from there.

jordan was easily the best perimeter defender of all time imo, and the consensus is at least top 5.

jordan was easily the best perimeter defender of all time imo, and the consensus is at least top 5.

The consensus is that the best versions of the 76ers (83), Celtics (86), and Lakers (87) are better than any team those championship Bulls had to play. And the Bucks at their best were about on par with any of those teams.

So three titles at the most. It would have been amazing to see Jordan and the Bulls get pushed that hard, and actually lose playoff series (there was Orlando, but that gets swept under the rug).

I just can't see the Bulls beating the Lakers and Celtics in a seven game series. Those are arguably the two most talented teams of all time. And they were big teams as well to boot. Plus they had offensive firepower off the charts. The Bulls had the GOAT in MJ, a versatile marvel in Pippen, a genius coach, the Triangle, and great defense. They never had the deepest team but what they DID have were the best of all time in their respective ways.

The Bulls EXEMPLIFIED the term TEAM consistently beating teams who had more talent depth top to bottom in Finals. I would go so far to say that ALL THE TEAMS the Bulls beat had more roster depth than Chicago. But THE BUCK STOPS with the Lakers and Celtics.

The only two perimeter players u could argue picking over MJ for your team is Magic and Bird. And u got arguably the two greatest technicians ever on the block in Kareem and McHale. When u throw in other talent, those teams are simply TOO STRONG for the Bulls. Lakers and Celts DOMINATE ANY ERA!! The Bulls beat Detroit, so I will give them credit on that one.
    Last edited by bizil; 12-02-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by comerb
    Most of the 80s teams were god awful defensively. I could see the Celtics taking a couple, and maybe the Lakers snatching up one. The Jordan-Pippin-Rodman bulls were better than any team on that list though, they were elite on both ends of the floor.
    Don't agree. Rodman's 87-89 Pistons teams were better than his Bulls teams.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I just can't see the Bulls beating the Lakers and Celtics in a seven game series.
    But lesser teams beat the Lakers and Celtics. You literally arguing against something that actually happened. Unless you feel that the Bucks, and.Rockets were better than the Bulls.

And they were big teams as well to boot. Plus they had offensive firepower off the charts.
    They played in the 80s. Every team had off rhe charts offensive firepower. You just cant acknowledge this plain fact why? Why do you continue to try to draw an even parallel between 80s and 90s statistics?

The Bulls had the GOAT in MJ, a versatile marvel in Pippen, a genius coach, the Triangle, and great defense. They never had the deepest team but what they DID have were the best of all time in their respective ways.
    Deep how? Offensively? Athetically? IQ? Defensively? Rebounding? Versatility?

Can we find a.common ground here?

Bump. Can someone answer my questions?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    But lesser teams beat the Lakers and Celtics. You literally arguing against something that actually happened. Unless you feel that the Bucks, and.Rockets were better than the Bulls.

They played in the 80s. Every team had off rhe charts offensive firepower. You just cant acknowledge this plain fact why? Why do you continue to try to draw an even parallel between 80s and 90s statistics?

Deep how? Offensively? Athetically? IQ? Defensively? Rebounding? Versatility?

Can we find a.common ground here?

In terms of depth top to bottom, The Bulls were NOWHERE CLOSE to the Lakers and Celtics. I don't need to explain NOTHING ELSE! All u have to do is lineup the rosters and u will see that. And we are talking a decade of having the peak 80's Lakers and peak 80's Celtics. With that said roster depth DOESN'T mean everything. But these are Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics.

Plus I'm talking those two particular teams AT THEIR BEST VERSIONS!! I'm not backing down at all, the 86 Celtics beat the Bulls in a seven game series. And the Lakers in 85 when Kareem still had major juice WOULD beat the Bulls in a seven game series. Sure when ANY TEAM regresses or start to slip some new teams step up. That's why the Bulls beat the Pistons finally. And the Bulls beat Magic's Lakers. But generally speaking, I say the best versions of the Lakers and Celtics BEAT the best version of the Bulls. FLAT OUT!! I'm not talking when one team regresses and the other is on the comeup. For example, I could see the 90's Bulls beating a late 80's version of the Lakers or Celtics. But those teams weren't like the teams in the mid 80's. I took the OP's question as those teams at their ABSOLUTE best in the 90's.

Finally, I'm not drawing a parallel to 80's statstics to 90's statistics. IM LOOKING AT THE ACTUAL PLAYERS who would be dominant in any era! We are talking Magic, Bird, Kareem, Worthy, and McHale. McAdoo would still be a beast of the bench for the Lakers. Parish would still be a multiple time All Star. What the hell are u talking about!!
    Last edited by bizil; 12-03-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    If you "transplanted" the 1990-1998 Bulls to 1980-1988, I'd say they would've won in 1981, 1982 and 1988... Not saying they couldn't do more but also 1988 would've been very difficult too, with the Lakers and the Pistons.

People underrate the 1983 76ers too much though... That team was beastly, and the 1993 Bulls wouldn't beat them tbh.
    This.

I saw both decades, up close. In general, 1980s>1990s, but I will say that the 1990s were a tougher era defensively, and more physical too.

So it's hard to tell, but the question would be which era team would be able to dictate it's game on the other? Would the Bulls tougher defense slow down the high octane offensive teams from the 1980s? That to me would be the key.

Also, how would the Bulls react to finally encounter a great team with a great center i.e. KAJ or Moses or Boston's front line?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

everything - scoring, passing, defense - he led his team in all these areas... the offense ran through him - he decided the pace of the game and the nature of the Bulls offense.. the defense reacted to him, he countered, and on from there.

Revisionist history at it's best? According to this guy...scoring, passing, defense...everyone else was just along for the ride. Jordan was so good at everything that he carried the paltry Bulls to those titles. He was the best at everything, period. In the league, PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD.

3ball is the biggest joke on the forum these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    This.

I saw both decades, up close. In general, 1980s>1990s, but I will say that the 1990s were a tougher era defensively, and more physical too.

So it's hard to tell, but the question would be which era team would be able to dictate it's game on the other? Would the Bulls tougher defense slow down the high octane offensive teams from the 1980s? That to me would be the key.

Also, how would the Bulls react to finally encounter a great team with a great center i.e. KAJ or Moses or Boston's front line?
    Well said! In particular, I've ALWAYS thought the 83 Sixers, the 86 Celtics, and the 85 Lakers would beat the Bulls in a seven game series. For starters u have immortals on the perimeter in Doc, Magic, and Bird. The three mainstream faces of the NBA until MJ came of age. Then u have two of the top six centers even in Moses and Kareem. And of course Boston boasted the best frontline of all time when u add McHale and Parish to Larry. MJ is the GOAT, but even Superman had Kryptonite. I think these three teams are built to beat a team like the Bulls.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever

i've never figured out why people say this when Jordan swept Shaq and his dream team, beat Ewing for years (who snap-made the Finals each time Jordan retired in 94' and 99'), and beat Alonzo and Tim Hardaway's 61-win, #1 defensive-rated Heat.

i've never figured out why people say this when Jordan swept Shaq and his dream team, beat Ewing for years (who snap-made the Finals each time Jordan retired in 94' and 99'), and beat Alonzo and Tim Hardaway's 61-win, #1 defensive-rated Heat.
    Those teams AREN'T the peak Celtics and Lakers from the mid 80's. Totally different level of EPICNESS!!

I'm not sure, but if you transplanted those teams into the 10s, LeBron would still be ringless.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    In terms of depth top to bottom, The Bulls were NOWHERE CLOSE to the Lakers and Celtics. I don't need to explain NOTHING ELSE! All u have to do is lineup the rosters and u will see that. And we are talking a decade of having the peak 80's Lakers and peak 80's Celtics. With that said roster depth DOESN'T mean everything. But these are Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics.

Plus I'm talking those two particular teams AT THEIR BEST VERSIONS!! I'm not backing down at all, the 86 Celtics beat the Bulls in a seven game series. And the Lakers in 85 when Kareem still had major juice WOULD beat the Bulls in a seven game series. Sure when ANY TEAM regresses or start to slip some new teams step up. That's why the Bulls beat the Pistons finally. And the Bulls beat Magic's Lakers. But generally speaking, I say the best versions of the Lakers and Celtics BEAT the best version of the Bulls. FLAT OUT!! I'm not talking when one team regresses and the other is on the comeup

Finally, I'm not drawing a parallel to 80's statstics to 90's statistics. IM LOOKING AT THE ACTUAL PLAYERS who would be dominant in any era! We are talking Magic, Bird, Kareem, Worthy, and McHale. McAdoo would still be a beast of the bench for the Lakers. Parish would still be a multiple time All Star. What the hell are u talking about!!
    So you basically reiterated your previous post. Was Kevin Mchale ever a top 5 player like Pippen? Is Robert Parrish impact on par with Dennis Rodman? What are you basing your conclusions on?

And again rhe life of me, if the Lakers and Celtics were soooo much better than the Bulls whydid the Bulls give the Pistons hell, who in turn gave the Celtics and Lakers hell?

This is where you lose. The Pistons are the bridge between the Bulls and those mighty Lakers and Celtics teams. And mind you, the series between the Lakers/Pistons and Bulls weren't close. Its not like those teams gave the Bulls hell before bowing out in seven hard fought games. And what more, 91 was by no means the Bulls best team either.