Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do ppl still think peak Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and Nash are on Currys level?

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Strange comparison since they played different positions. Reggie and Ray were both 2s who scored more off the ball. They both averaged 18-19 for their careers with Reggie having better scoring efficiency. Reggie shot 3% better inside the arc and got to the foul line more.

Nash was a very efficient scorer but not a go to scorer like Curry. Curry can create his own shot off the dribble better than any of these guys. Nash was the better playmaker though. And he wasn't as bad a defender as people make him out to be. His defensive +/- was pretty much average in his prime.

I think which one you pick depends on what kind of team you have.
    Nash was not big on scoring, that part is true. But what Nash did was wrecking defenses. At his best, he picked apart defenses by himself and left it in ruin for his teammates to score. I refuse to believe that Nash couldn't be more of a go to scorer if he wanted to. He absolutely could and would be a great one had the team needed him to.

Default Re: Do ppl still think peak Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and Nash are on Currys level?

Dunno about Ray Allen & Nash.... but Curry was not on Reggie's level indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    but Curry was not on Reggie's level indeed...
    Agreed, he's far better.

Nash > Curry so far. Nash was a great leader who really got the most out of his team.

I will go by process of elimination by position. I would take Ray over Miller all day long. Ray Ray was much more complete a player in addition to being one of the top five shooters of all time. Curry vs. Nash is a tough comparison. Nash is a better dime dropper while Curry is a better scorer. In the grand scheme, I would take Curry. Curry hasn't even PEAKED yet and he's turned into a great passer, even though shooting is what he does best. So it comes down to Curry vs. Ray Ray. Two different positions and it likely depends on what u would need. It will come down to Ray being bigger and more versatile to Steph's better passing ability. Between the two, I can't really decide. If I gotta choose, give me Steph. I wouldn't have said that three years ago, but Steph's has gotten better and more dynamic each year.

With Kblaze on this. Reggie is one overrated mofo.

u mad? buttfrustrated? hahaitme's Avatar

Nash > Curry > Ray > Reggie

Although take that with a grain of salt because I hate some unexplainable hate for Reggie Miller so he's going to the bottom of every list.

We're comparing 1's to 2's though.

National High School Star

Reggie is honestly really overrated now by people that just watch his career highlights

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

How about forgetting about Reggie Miller and looking at it in general? Fact of the matter is that players try more in the playoffs and you cant refute that. They focus more when playoff time comes around.
    I was forgetting about it being Reggie. What I said goes for reggie, Wilt, Jordan, Lebron, Karl Malone, Barkley, and anyone else.

This particular issue has nothing to do with Reggie. I just never liked the idea of people pretending the playoffs shows you what a guy is...when he isnt playing his normal game.

Star guards.....scorers? Its probably most obvious.

How am I gonna watch Reggie for 20 years...play 34-35 minutes and play in the flow of the game often being unselfish t oa fault and then say judge him by two weeks when hes not playing his usual game? When hes forcing shots, shooting worse, and playing 42-45 minutes?

Guys like him...you cant say evaluate them on the playoffs....because the playoffs is NOT how they usually play.

Again I must ask....how are you better because you play 3-6 more minutes and shoot more?

You just scored more points. You arent better at basketball.

I remember being told once that Dirk is a great rebounder because he gets 10 a game in the playoffs. Dirk plays under 36 minutes a game for his career. But OVER 41 in the playoffs. He was playing 43 minutes a game in the playoffs till he was 28. Of course he gets more rebounds....

I just...dont get it. Im judging a guys normal performance.

I think thats fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    You have never seem me talk about career numbers. Especially when the question is peak Ray...as the title says. What do career numbers have to do with the peak of anyone?

Nice dodge. When did Ray ever have a season comparable to Reggie's 3rd season?

Answer: Never

Ray Allen was this close to making it to the finals in '01 and went toe to toe with the great AI.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Nash was not big on scoring, that part is true. But what Nash did was wrecking defenses. At his best, he picked apart defenses by himself and left it in ruin for his teammates to score. I refuse to believe that Nash couldn't be more of a go to scorer if he wanted to. He absolutely could and would be a great one had the team needed him to.
    I agree that Nash could have scored more if asked. However he didn't have Curry's quick release. I don't see Nash getting off over 7 3 pointers per game.

But like i said, which one you choose depends on personal preference/what type of team you have. Nash was obviously the better playmaker but i don't think he could be the go to scorer that Curry is.

I was forgetting about it being Reggie. What I said goes for reggie, Wilt, Jordan, Lebron, Karl Malone, Barkley, and anyone else.

This particular issue has nothing to do with Reggie. I just never liked the idea of people pretending the playoffs shows you what a guy is...when he isnt playing his normal game.

Star guards.....scorers? Its probably most obvious.

How am I gonna watch Reggie for 20 years...play 34-35 minutes and play in the flow of the game often being unselfish t oa fault and then say judge him by two weeks when hes not playing his usual game? When hes forcing shots, shooting worse, and playing 42-45 minutes?

Guys like him...you cant say evaluate them on the playoffs....because the playoffs is NOT how they usually play.

Again I must ask....how are you better because you play 3-6 more minutes and shoot more?

You just scored more points. You arent better at basketball.

I remember being told once that Dirk is a great rebounder because he gets 10 a game in the playoffs. Dirk plays under 36 minutes a game for his career. But OVER 41 in the playoffs. He was playing 43 minutes a game in the playoffs till he was 28. Of course he gets more rebounds....

I just...dont get it. Im judging a guys normal performance.

I think thats fair.
    Pretty sure I cant change your views about playoff scoring and we can agree to disagree but how about about defensively then? Are you telling me that a player like Rodman, Pippen, Payton, Artest, Bowen etc.. never plays harder to shut down their man in the playoffs as opposed to the regular season?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Nice dodge. When did Ray ever have a season comparable to Reggie's 3rd season?

Answer: Never
    You've never made a point I need to dodge. Ray Allen from roughly 2000 to probably 2007 was simply a better basketball player than Reggie Miller ever was regardless of the fluctuations in either of their scoring over long periods of time. it's largely an issue of circumstance and what they are being asked to do at the moment not a changing of ability.

That said I have often said Reggie was better in his early career though several Reggie supporters acted like I was out of line to say so.

I watched young Reggie live and he was simply more involved than he was later when he became more famous.

Though part of that was Larry Brown believing Reggie was not the kind of player who could carry a good team that way.

I'll give Reggie credit for accepting it and doing what was asked of him. There is no question he could have scored more than he generally did in his mid to late Prime

You've never made a point I need to dodge. Ray Allen from roughly 2000 to probably 2007 was simply a better basketball player than Reggie Miller ever was regardless of the fluctuations in either of their scoring over long periods of time. it's largely an issue of circumstance and what they are being asked to do at the moment not a changing of ability.

That said I have often said Reggie was better in his early career though several Reggie supporters acted like I was out of line to say so.

I watched young Reggie live and he was simply more involved than he was later when he became more famous.

Though part of that was Larry Brown believing Reggie was not the kind of player who could carry a good team that way.

I'll give Reggie credit for accepting it and doing what was asked of him. There is no question he could have scored more than he generally did in his mid to late Prime

So Ray was better just because you say so? Just because you dont like Reggie doesn't make Ray better.

Ray never had a season as good as Reggie's 3rd year. In fact he never got close.

Ray never got to the line like Reggie did and wasn't as good inside the 3 point line. And let's not forget that Ray benefited from the rules changes making it easier for perimeter players. It is no coincidence that Ray's best scoring years came after the rules change.
    Last edited by tontoz; 11-24-2014 at 10:06 AM.