Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gordon Hayward

Default Re: Gordon Hayward

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Yea, he's been really balling lately, living up to that contract... And like you've said, he isn't agressive enough though, that can be good to fit within the team, let the ball flow and so on, but it can also be detrimental when you're the best player and need to pick up the slack, not settling up for just 3-pointers/jumpers as well...

He's only taken 22 midrange jumpers all year. And you could say he should take more, because he's made 16 of them. He's not jacking up 3-pointers. He's taking the fat out of his game. He's at the rim, the freethrow line, or behind the 3-point line, and he's still shooting above 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Hayward is still streaky. He doesn't need to shoot more when he's not hitting. He needs the ball in his hands making plays for himself and others. Can't see him living up to the contract.

Burke might be ok eventually but the fact that he has been handed the starting job the past two years with no competition is a joke. I know they have been tanking but Neto should have been there at the very least.

Favors is still inconsistent with a weak post game and not the great defender he's been advertised as.
    Why would they bring over Neto when they're trying to develop Burke? Neto's a small guard, too, so you'd be playing two point guards that are smaller than the opposing point guard. Exum adds an element where he comes in and changes the game because of his length and size. Neto would come in (or Burke, whichever) and be the same type of player. You don't want that.

Favors doesn't need a post game. The post game isn't efficient, and yeah, he's not defending that well because he's not a center.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Exum's +/- with the starters in Burke's place has been excellent but I think they're doing the right thing by not starting him. Burke's biggest problem right now is that he can't find his shot, and it's building off what was an issue last season. He's not a full time starter in this league but he can be average and Snyder is right about stating him ahead of Exum right now, especially since the Jazz aren't a playoff team. Exum has been great in his role and has been deserving more minutes but he's still 19 and the worst thing is putting too much on his plate and overwhelming him. Granted it wouldn't surprise me if Exum is starting by the all star break if Burke's shooting woes continue. But Exum's undoubtedly the future and their core with him, Hayward, and Favors is going to be awesome with Snyder growing as a coach.

On the point at hand, Hayward is really really good. People talking what option he would be on some hypothetical contending team are really overlooking the point here and missing out on an emerging multi-tool star. To look at the threads about Hayward around this time last season and look how down people were on him last and compare that to how's he's playing this season. I wish people here could just enjoy how good players like Hayward are because he's been a joy to watch so far (as the Jazz have been as a whole).
    You're completely right. Burke is going through a rough patch right now, but he'll break out of it. He's not a 30% shooter (24% from 3) for his career. He'll hit a hot streak soon enough, but right now he's learning the offense and starting to excel at it: He had eight assists last night.

There's no way he'll start this season unless Burke gets hurt because 1) he's 19 2) any change should be made much later in the season, and 3) Exum's body looks like it's going to hit the wall hard.

Big fan as I am of AK. Not max players though.
    So why would you trade a valuable piece of our franchise? The max contract will never hinder us. Never. It'll expire before Exum's up for restricted free agency. You're not going to pay max money for Burks or Kanter. So what do we need that money for? Why in God's name would you trade him?

They aren't a playoff team because they are tanking. They have a better pg in Spain that they chose not to bring over.
    This always gets me. You don't know if Neto's better. You saw him play well in Summer League.

From what I've seen the kid's not going to overwhelmed by anything. Burke otoh... Clark has looked decent since summer. Why not give him a shot? Send Burke to the bench or Idaho for a wake up call.
    Burke's doing just fine. He's just struggling with his shot. Also, keep in mind that bench players often look much better because the coaches know how to utilize them. Exum's being protected a bunch, and even though he has closed out the last two games (both helped by Burke's foul trouble, by the way) he's stayed off the ball.

He is a joy to watch but he's not a max player and that is bad for the Jazz. They tried to say it didn't matter because they had the money but with Burks signing they are close to the cap for next season already with no stars in tow.
    Complete bullshit.

I assume that is based on 2 weeks of this season because he certainly wasn't efficient last year. He's a streaky shooter at best. He turns over the ball a lot.
    No one aside from Danny Granger has ever stepped into the No. 1 option from the No. 3 option and been successful. I'm not saying he'll be the man anywhere he goes, but, like, give him a pass for last season. He was also under pressure trying to earn a new contract. Now he has a bounce in his step. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Last edited by mrpibb; 11-12-2014 at 04:47 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrpibb
    Why would they bring over Neto when they're trying to develop Burke?
    Because he's looked like the better player and was a free agent with no buyout. Not sure if that's the case anymore. I doubt it though. They always have buyouts. They talk about competition and Burke unlike his teammates has had none the past two years. He's been handed the job just because. But that's tanking I guess. Who cares about putting the best players on the court and trying to compete.

Neto's a small guard, too, so you'd be playing two point guards that are smaller than the opposing point guard.
    Or you'd send one to the D-league or trade one. They have options especially now that they have their own D-league team which of course they still aren't utilizing. Clark was in the rotation in the pre-season before they picked up Ingles. He's a small guard too. Exum can play the wing with his size as well.

Exum adds an element where he comes in and changes the game because of his length and size. Neto would come in (or Burke, whichever) and be the same type of player. You don't want that.
    He's not the same type of player. He's a pass first pg. He gets after people defensively. He hits open shots. He's got more pro experience. He's a better fit for how they are trying to play.

Favors doesn't need a post game. The post game isn't efficient, and yeah, he's not defending that well because he's not a center.
    If Kanter is going to be on the perimeter someone needs to be able to post up effectively. Favors is posting up so he needs a post game if he's going to be doing it. Everyone seems to think he's a center. They never have Favors chasing around the PF even when the match-ups would seem to favor that.

You're completely right. Burke is going through a rough patch right now, but he'll break out of it. He's not a 30% shooter (24% from 3) for his career. He'll hit a hot streak soon enough, but right now he's learning the offense and starting to excel at it: He had eight assists last night.
    He wasn't very good last year. Will he ever be a starting caliber pg? Will he ever be a good shooter? All he ever be able to defend? I think he may be a good 6th man. Right now they are pulling Hayward or Burks early in the game so one of them is playing with the 2nd unit. If Burke came off the bench maybe they wouldn't have to do that?

There's no way he'll start this season unless Burke gets hurt because 1) he's 19 2) any change should be made much later in the season, and 3) Exum's body looks like it's going to hit the wall hard.
    Any change should be made based on performance. Exum continues to get better and looks like he has a great future. Burke has yet to show he is an NBA starter or even a rotation player.

So why would you trade a valuable piece of our franchise?
    Because he's overpaid and you could get more for the money?

The max contract will never hinder us. Never.
    Like AK's never hurt them? With Burks signing their cap is almost full next year. Already hurting.

It'll expire before Exum's up for restricted free agency. You're not going to pay max money for Burks or Kanter. So what do we need that money for?
    To put together a competitive roster?

Why in God's name would you trade him?
    everyone is tradable in my mind if it improves the team

This always gets me. You don't know if Neto's better. You saw him play well in Summer League.
    I saw him outplay Burke. I also watched him in the World's where he showed his improvement. I'd guess the Jazz 2nd guessed their plan after watching him in the World's. They are under the cap. The have a D-league team. There's lots of reasons to bring him over.

Burke's doing just fine. He's just struggling with his shot.
    More worried about his D personally.

Also, keep in mind that bench players often look much better because the coaches know how to utilize them. Exum's being protected a bunch, and even though he has closed out the last two games (both helped by Burke's foul trouble, by the way) he's stayed off the ball.
    Yes and Burke should be off the ball too with Gordon and Alec around but if he can't hit an open shot or defend what good is he?

Complete bullshit.
    http://www.slcdunk.com/nba-free-agen...ntract-details

97% of the cap used up next year.

No one aside from Danny Granger has ever stepped into the No. 1 option from the No. 3 option and been successful. I'm not saying he'll be the man anywhere he goes, but, like, give him a pass for last season. He was also under pressure trying to earn a new contract. Now he has a bounce in his step. We'll see how long it lasts.
    I don't see him as a #1 option. That's a big part of the problem.

Hayward is a great, championship-level 3rd option forced into a 1st option role.

He is overpaid per the current CBA but perhaps not if the salary cap goes up as much as they say.

IMO Favors is the one paid too much. He is a role playing starter, not an all-star. Kanter is the same. Burke, jury is out but probably same.

Jazz need a 1st option and - from the looks of it - they might find that in Exum in 2-3 years. I really like his feel for the game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    Hayward is a great, championship-level 3rd option forced into a 1st option role.

He is overpaid per the current CBA but perhaps not if the salary cap goes up as much as they say.

IMO Favors is the one paid too much. He is a role playing starter, not an all-star. Kanter is the same. Burke, jury is out but probably same.

Jazz need a 1st option and - from the looks of it - they might find that in Exum in 2-3 years. I really like his feel for the game.
    Not sure Exum is a first option. He's too unselfish. Favors isn't getting max. He may be worth it if he becomes the defensive force he's been hyped as.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 11-12-2014 at 03:19 PM.

So far looking at Hayward's game, I see a 20 point per game kind of player who has point forward kind of capabilities. He's also a good rebounder as well getting 6 a night. ANYTIME a perimeter player is capable of getting 20-5-5 over a season, that's All Star caliber right there. He's only 24 years old and isn't anywhere close to his peak years. So in my book, it doesn't matter if he's a true alpha dog at this point. Im impressed with what's he's doing at this point in his career. If I were to project though, I see him as a very good number two option (not really an alpha dog number two option like Wade, McHale, young Kobe). Or a GREAT number three option! But who knows, he might turn into an alpha dog player, it's too early to tell in his case.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

He's like #6 in PER at almost 25 for players averaging more than 30 minutes.