Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Will Steve Nash be the worst defender out of all the NBA hall of famers in history?

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Yeah the all time leading scorer in NBA history might make it there one day
    Does this man look like a rapist to you?

Show some f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking respect.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Will Steve Nash be the worst defender out of all the NBA hall of famers in history?

Reggie wasn't that bad a defender either. Average at best. But not mediocre.

Off the top of my head: Pistol Pete.

Gervin, Dantley, McAdoo?

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Harden, if he by some miracle makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy
    Reggie wasn't that bad a defender either. Average at best. But not mediocre.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    not worse than Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    not worse than Nash.
    Admittedly, I never saw him play live, but basketball author Charley Rosen (I guy who wrote some good NBA books)called him the worst defender in history. And every other article I've read about him called him one of the most brilliant offensive minds while being one of the worst defenders of his era. So if he's better than Nash, it isn't by much.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Exposed again.

Barkley is a notorious poor defender.

I hate dumb f*cking kids talking broken ass English about players they never watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZv_aw1pxQw&t=2m8s

Heck no. I don't know who all is in the HOF. But I am pretty sure that there are some questionable defenders in there. Not everyone in the HOF had that spotless game.

Can't say exactly but one of the very worst, yea...

Dantley, Pistol Pete, even Tiny Archibald popped into my head... Those are just some of the biggest names, and I wouldn't really call them worse than Nash on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Exposed again.

Barkley is a notorious poor defender.
    Poor? Wouldn't go that far, by any means. Thing with Chuck is that he didn't care for playing D plenty of times, even he admitted to it. But he could be nice when the effort was there, got some steals and even some blocks too, well known that he was a beast on the boards also.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Gervin, Dantley, McAdoo?
    Gervin was a good off-ball defender, especially in his younger years. Certainly better on-ball than Nash, too, also because he had the length and athleticism though.

Dantley was pretty solid when he put in the effort, he had the physical tools, good for post-D... With that said, he didn't give a flying **** about playing D for most of his career. Only started to change more in his time with the Pistons but even so...
    Agree with the mention.

McAdoo was a pretty good defensive player, don't know where that mention came from. In his early peak (due to injuries) he was "forced" to play mostly at center but he was more of a PF so he had trouble from time to time with them bigger dudes yea, however he was a good off-ball defender (blocks and steals) and could guard m2m. He was a good piece for the (82 and 85) championship Lakers also in terms of wing defense.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    not worse than Nash.
    Agreed.
    From the stuff I've seen from early in Pete's career, only thing that got him through on defense was great instincts and nice mobility at over 6'5'' (enabled him to get steals, few blocks even), but the effort was rarely there when guarding his man, and he got lost on rotations/off-ball lots of times, below average defensive IQ and fundamentals...
    Then when watching him later in his career, he improved at that imo, solid at guarding his man on-ball (also because he had the size and mobility), improved awareness/IQ/fundamentals, instincts still there...

I've read the same on a couple of articles too, coaches had to really break in to him for that though, even read that he took up on karate and whatnot to improve his defense, funny stuff.
    I've also read Frazier saying that Pete's biggest enemy was often himself, saying stuff that when he picked Maravavich's pocket, Pistol would just stand still arguing with himself while Walt was getting the easy basket at the other end.

melo if he makes it.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Im just gonna get it out of the way..

Kobe.
    He's not a Hall of Famer.

The correct answer is Magic Johnson.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Admittedly, I never saw him play live, but basketball author Charley Rosen (I guy who wrote some good NBA books)called him the worst defender in history. And every other article I've read about him called him one of the most brilliant offensive minds while being one of the worst defenders of his era. So if he's better than Nash, it isn't by much.
    dont get me wrong bro he was often horrifical bad. But not worse than Nash.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto
    He's not a Hall of Famer.

The correct answer is Magic Johnson.
    1.9 stl 0.4 blk -Magic
    0.7 stl 0.1 blk- Steve Nash