Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good High School Starter Buffalobraves's Avatar

Default Will the Pistons move Monroe at the Deadline?

Pistons look like they are headed for another below average or bad season and I don't think there's any chance Monroe stays with the log jam in the paint they have. I think he's one of the most interesting trade piece at the deadline (can't be moved until dec 15). He'd be a valuable guy if a team wanted to give up some picks/young guys to rent him for half a season.

My trade idea:

OKC Sends

Lamb or Perry Jones
    2015 1st
    Perkins (expiring)

Pistons Send:
    Monroe

Makes sense for both parties. Pistons could get a nice young talent in Lamb (or Perry Jones if they wanted) plus a 1st and Perkin's huge expiring contract and OKC gets a real low post player to help get them a championship once everyone is back and healthy.

I realize that'l probably never happen because of how Presti is but its just an idea that could work. Where do you guys think Monroe will end up at the deadline?

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Default Re: Will the Pistons move Monroe at the Deadline?

He would fit well in Boston or San Antonio, but I don't think they can get him

NBA rookie of the year

Monroe will be signing with the Miami Heat in free agency next year. Book it.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Can the Pistons or any team still sign him for an extension? If so, the Pistons have to move him at least a month before the deadline if they wanna get any value for him. I'd a flyer on him if i were the Suns, using Gerald Green. I like the OKC deal too.

Problem is then you've got Monroe, Ibaka and Adams, all of which are starters on most any team.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

During last year there was some scuttlebut about Rondo for something built around Monroe.

As a Celtic fan, and just in general, I'd want to try to get more for Rondo or try to keep him. And I'm actually a bigger fan of Monroe than most. Being a Big East fan I got to see him live a handfull of times, and my buddy is a GTown guy, so he let me know about him plenty. I even was at a point pre-draft where I sort of preferred him to Blake, because of the passing and the length.

My fondness I'm sure is at least partly a result of not being able to cut bait from my initial feelings. But I do still think he could be a real asset to a good team. He'd be a nice triangle piece with his ability to post, hit from the midrange, and he's really an excellent passer. The problem is he's just not a good defender. And if you're not gonna defend from those spots, you have to be an elite scorer. It's almost impossible to know if he is, because so few teams run an offense that will let a guy be a focul point from those big spots.

My reason for having some doubts about him with Boston is because I'm not sure he's enough better an asset than Sullinger, based on cost too, to make him worth the move. Especially since any trade for Monroe will include a nearly max level deal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    Problem is then you've got Monroe, Ibaka and Adams, all of which are starters on most any team.
    That FrontCourt depth is monstrous

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    Couldn't you have a nearly even distribution of minutes between those 3? The same Phoenix is using the backcourt minutes between Goran/Bledsoe/Thomas?

You could start with Ibaka/Monroe, then sub out Ibaka to bring in Adams earlier in the first quarter. Ibaka can then anchor the D during the second quarter during his second stint playing alongside Collison/McGary. I'm guessing if Monroe could play next to Drummond, he could play alongside Adams/Collison/McGary.

With their PTE from the Sefalosha S&T, I wonder if they could just give up Huestis or a future pick(s) for him. Had Presti been given the freedom by ownership, he could have used #29 + Perkins for Affalo and could now send Lamb + 2nd rounders for Monroe. Idk what SVG wants for Monroe, but I doubt he's getting anything better than a late first, if that. Come playoff time, this would be a really scary team:

Westbrook-Affalo-KD-Ibaka-Monroe
    Jackson-Morrow-Roberson-Collison-Adams
    Reserves: Telfair, Jones, Thomas, Jerrett, McGary

Edited for typos
    Last edited by SwishSquared; 11-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.

He gets a no trade clause this year, so if he gets moved he has the right to decide his team.

Could work

Jackson 30 | Westbrook 18
    Westbrook 18 | Morrow 16 | Lamb 14
    KD 30 | PJ3 10 | Morrow 8
    Ibaka 33 | Monroe 9 | KD 6
    Monroe 23 | Adams 25

College superstar

I'll be the first to add that Monroe has a NO-TRADE and his Bird rights are non-transferrable. There is no reason to trade for him. He is a UFA at the end of the season.

This is the mutually assured destruction of the QO.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    I'll be the first to add that Monroe has a NO-TRADE and his Bird rights are non-transferrable. There is no reason to trade for him. He is a UFA at the end of the season.

No way to rejects a trade to OKC (or even Phoenix). I don't think Pistons have bird rights anymore either. My question is whether the Pistons (or any team that trades for him) can still extend him if they reach an agreement.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid

I'm aware (I'm sure others are, too) that he has a no trade clause for this year and he loses Bird Rights if moved.

But he could go from being a sixth man on Detroit to a starter on a potential title contender...it's essentially a tryout to snag a max deal next summer. Unless he wants to stay in Detroit and has faith in SVG moving Smith in order to make Monroe the full time starter. Smith's presence was a big factor in Monroe turning down a Gortat-type contract, apparently.

Plus, his agent tried to broker a S&T between Detroit and OKC, Portland, etc. He had interest in going to a contending team.

Quote Originally Posted by wally world
    My question is whether the Pistons (or any team that trades for him) can still extend him if they reach an agreement.
    He cannot sign a contract before he becomes an UFA in July. Extension talks were tabled when he took the QO. Only Detroit retains his Bird Rights if he's still on the roster at the end of the season.

Personally, if I have a PTE and can get him for a minimal asset, it's worth it (in my eyes) if I'm a title contender that can snag him to boost the post offense and bolster a froncourt rotation. I have a feeling he wants to be a long term starter, since starting big men get paid so much.
    Last edited by SwishSquared; 11-03-2014 at 04:13 PM.

NBA Superstar

Easier said than done but I think the Pistons would probably prefer moving Brandon Jennings or Josh Smith. When Monroe missed the first two games due to suspension, the Pistons frontcourt was almost completely devoid of any significant offensive weaponry.

With Monroe back, I believe there's still hope for the season. I think the three-point shooting will bumb up a little bit from the 22% they're shooting now (particularly when Jodie Meeks returns). When that happens, I think this Detroit club has a chance. I don't know what they have a chance at, per se, but it's a chance nonetheless.

I hope the knicks get him