Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
       

Default Re: Nets 2014-2015 Game Discussion Thread

honestly i don't think the problem is hollins or really any particular individual. problem is, this is an overpaid, poorly-built team with a difficult future ahead. you could bring in phil jackson or greg pop but i don't think it would make much difference at this point.

re: kidd,
    i agree with you there. against long odds he had quite a successful rookie coaching campaign and it's probably inevitable that he wanted more say in matters. almost all superstars have that same mindset. i highly doubt that he really wanted the GM's job... probably just more support from above. well, he's confirming this season that he's a winner and that we're the ones that lost out.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bella
    Glad we agree, while we are on the subject, Lionel Hollins needs to go. I wish Kidd stayed, he has potential to be an excellent coach.
    I agree but he's a dick. Same as he was a sick player, but a dick. It was probably inevitable this split happened unless he got a huge raise and all that he wanted.

So even if he becomes the best coach ever, i find it hard to fault the Nets for letting him go.

Gotta love the win but I can't stand the fact the nets have so much difficulty rebounding the ball. They need a LOT of help on the boards. Plumlee can't do it alone. But talking about Plumlee.... Is it too early to start voting him into the allstar game??

   

interesting, this idea of plumlee starting and lopez coming off the bench. the nets get much more athleticism up front and lopez gets to bully second-stringers.

net income or someone was talking about this typically being the time of year the nets start to gel and bull their way to the playoffs. on one hand that guy usually drinks a little too much of his own koolaid... OTOH it does make some sense for this year's group.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    interesting, this idea of plumlee starting and lopez coming off the bench. the nets get much more athleticism up front and lopez gets to bully second-stringers.

net income or someone was talking about this typically being the time of year the nets start to gel and bull their way to the playoffs. on one hand that guy usually drinks a little too much of his own koolaid... OTOH it does make some sense for this year's group.
    I'd start Plumlee for the simple reason that it makes no sense to build around Lopez because he'll (sadly) probably be out for another month in a few weeks. How do you have any continuity? To a lesser degree it's why Amare can't start, what's the point? Plus Plumlee needs to become a more consistent rebounder and defender and that's not going to come except with time and playing. It's a no brainer. If Lopez is healthy and becomes super sub it's gravy.

I was watching the Clippers play today and thought, there's a trade somewhere between Nets and them. They need a massive shakeup and they have large salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I'd start Plumlee for the simple reason that it makes no sense to build around Lopez because he'll (sadly) probably be out for another month in a few weeks. How do you have any continuity? To a lesser degree it's why Amare can't start, what's the point? Plus Plumlee needs to become a more consistent rebounder and defender and that's not going to come except with time and playing. It's a no brainer. If Lopez is healthy and becomes super sub it's gravy.

I was watching the Clippers play today and thought, there's a trade somewhere between Nets and them. They need a massive shakeup and they have large salaries.
    I was surprised when I noticed that Amar'e just recently got his first rest/injury of the season. I guess the added playing time took a toll on him.

I was surprised when I noticed that Amar'e just recently got his first rest/injury of the season. I guess the added playing time took a toll on him.
    He's shot. Knicks fans need to get over this year. We can't make any adjustments which hurt our flexibility going forward and we can't just toss away anyone with value AND Melo is hurt. Suck it up, sit Melo down, accept the losing and wait for our lottery pick and try to retool, be better next year, make a splash in 15/16 with a core of Melo/Pick/Hardaway/Shump/Calderon to start with (or trade for another piece). But the day to day "should this guy start, what trade should we make, is Fisher ok?" is insane. Season is over.

He's shot. Knicks fans need to get over this year. We can't make any adjustments which hurt our flexibility going forward and we can't just toss away anyone with value AND Melo is hurt. Suck it up, sit Melo down, accept the losing and wait for our lottery pick and try to retool, be better next year, make a splash in 15/16 with a core of Melo/Pick/Hardaway/Shump/Calderon to start with (or trade for another piece). But the day to day "should this guy start, what trade should we make, is Fisher ok?" is insane. Season is over.
    I agree. I think Amar'e is still a decent player for say 5-6 million, so he could be a nice backup next year if he and the Knicks have the same thing in mind.

Once the new salary cap comes through Melo won't be as big of a cap holder as he is now which will free up a lot of space. I just think the main objective right now is to not get greedy or impatient.. Trading away the pick in a desperation move (see nets) to acquire an all star or something like that.

They need to be smart once the new cap takes effect, no big splashes for names, I think everyone outside of New York saw what a disaster a Melo/Amar'e pairing was going to be.

I agree. I think Amar'e is still a decent player for say 5-6 million, so he could be a nice backup next year if he and the Knicks have the same thing in mind.

Once the new salary cap comes through Melo won't be as big of a cap holder as he is now which will free up a lot of space. I just think the main objective right now is to not get greedy or impatient.. Trading away the pick in a desperation move (see nets) to acquire an all star or something like that.

They need to be smart once the new cap takes effect, no big splashes for names, I think everyone outside of New York saw what a disaster a Melo/Amar'e pairing was going to be.
    Yep on all. It boggles the mind how people want the Knicks to make some sort of season saving move, we are too far gone for playoffs without a huge run, and we are sitting really well on a pick in a solid draft. People are just impatient.

   

is there anyone on the Knicks who seems to be grasping the triangle, or even excelling at it?

is there anyone on the Knicks who seems to be grasping the triangle, or even excelling at it?
    I don't think the triangle is the problem. I think it's the lack of functional bigs. We used to cover it by playing small but you can't do that in the triangle. If we had a real center or a real PF then we could play it. Melo is fine, Calderon is fine, our bigs grasp it but are so limited in their skillsets its irrelevent.

   

I don't think the triangle is the problem. I think it's the lack of functional bigs. We used to cover it by playing small but you can't do that in the triangle. If we had a real center or a real PF then we could play it. Melo is fine, Calderon is fine, our bigs grasp it but are so limited in their skillsets its irrelevent.
    okay, no idea. i recently read one of the natl writers say that the triangle has been hard for them because they currently don't have the best personnel to run it. haven't seen the knicks play when i go out tho, so no 1st hand experience. i don't understand the triangle very well anyway, haha.

okay, no idea. i recently read one of the natl writers say that the triangle has been hard for them because they currently don't have the best personnel to run it. haven't seen the knicks play when i go out tho, so no 1st hand experience. i don't understand the triangle very well anyway, haha.
    It's not so complex, it's basically basic basketball, posting up, cutting, using a three man game wherever you are (thus the triangle). Some of the writers (like Berman) act like it's the secret to the universe. If you've ever played in the park and one of you is posting up and the other two are moving off that, you are running the triangle.

   

It's not so complex, it's basically basic basketball, posting up, cutting, using a three man game wherever you are (thus the triangle). Some of the writers (like Berman) act like it's the secret to the universe. If you've ever played in the park and one of you is posting up and the other two are moving off that, you are running the triangle.
    i mean i get that part, but my rough understanding is that the details of movement and passing are complex and somewhat unusual. if you have vet players who've played in several systems and it's suddenly very hard to pick up this one, that seems to suggest that something's up.

i mean i get that part, but my rough understanding is that the details of movement and passing are complex and somewhat unusual. if you have vet players who've played in several systems and it's suddenly very hard to pick up this one, that seems to suggest that something's up.
    That something would be a combination of players who suck (anyone who is a forward/center not named Carmelo) and players who know they are on the way out and are half assing it. We've scaled back and still lose every game. Our starting 4/5 is Acy/Dalembert. I laugh to keep from crying.