Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 1998 Los Angeles Lakers vs. 1998 Chicago Bulls in a best of 7 series

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    Mourning and Mutombo were defensive players. Calling them dominant is laughable.
    Mourning could play some offense. But wait just defenders ... aren't you the same breed of LeStan that props up Roy Hibbert for his defensive impact down low? Mourning, and Mutombo take a steaming dump on him in those regards. Still MJ went through Ewing, and Shaq. It doesn't get better than that ...

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

Default Re: 1998 Los Angeles Lakers vs. 1998 Chicago Bulls in a best of 7 series

The Bulls were a better team no question, but the Lakers overachieved so much that season. They had a 45-50 win team, not a 61 win team. It's no longer the Jazz swept them.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamwarrior
    The Bulls were a better team no question, but the Lakers overachieved so much that season. They had a 45-50 win team, not a 61 win team. It's no longer the Jazz swept them.
    But Shaq also missed a ton of games, was lazy, and still at that point an unmotivated leader. That Laker team was totally a 60 caliber win team given the amount of talent, and size on that team. Shaq by that point was the best player in the league with a 35 year old Jordan winding down.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Is this a serious question?

The Bulls wax them even worse than Utah did and the Jazz brought out the brooms on them. That Lakers team was fun to watch, but nowhere near that level. And are people acting like there's really a difference between '96 Shaq who the Bulls shit on and '98 Shaq who the Jazz shit on that would make the difference in a Bulls-Lakers series?
    Shaq dominated both of those teams, especially the Jazz in 98. But much like Lebron in this year's Finals, he was basically playing 1 on 5.

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    But much like Lebron in this year's Finals, he was basically playing 1 on 5.
    Karma for the Heat having to go 4 on 5 in 2011.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    But Shaq also missed a ton of games, was lazy, and still at that point an unmotivated leader. That Laker team was totally a 60 caliber win team given the amount of talent, and size on that team. Shaq by that point was the best player in the league with a 35 year old Jordan winding down.
    Shaq was the only guy who shot over 20ppg. Elden Campbell was their #2 and Kobe was only putting up 15ppg. This was the IDGAF team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQUyi4ldnmo

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

No one is beating Jordan in the Finals.. No one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Why is this comment facepalm worthy???

A facepalm reaction (as if the comment is completely ludicrous) makes it seems as if someone DID beat him in the Finals or that Jordan WASN'T thoroughly dominant anytime he needed to be in the Finals....

Didn't Michael Jordan come through virtually 100% of the times his team needed it in the Finals?

Is this not true?.... So why would that comment be facepalm-worthy (ridiculous)?
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-20-2014 at 08:57 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Another thing - why is there any notion at all that a dominant big man would give the Bulls problems?

The Bulls defeated NUMEROUS all-time great centers - Shaq/Penny... Ewing's Knicks who showed they were championship-level by snap-making the Finals both times Jordan retired in 94' and 99'.... and Riley's 61-win Alonzo Mourning/Tim Hardaway team that was rated 2nd in the league defensively.

This idea that the Bulls would have trouble with bigs is amazingly illogical and has ZERO basis - if it DOES have any basis, please explain what that basis is.

As if Ostertag (that swept the Lakers) has any advantage over Luc Longley... he's at a disadvantage actually - he only gets to play with Stockton/Malone instead of MJ/Scottie.
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-20-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

A facepalm reaction (as if the comment is completely ludicrous) makes it seems as if someone DID beat him in the Finals or that Jordan WASN'T thoroughly dominant anytime he needed to be in the Finals....

Didn't Michael Jordan come through virtually 100% of the times his team needed it in the Finals?

Is this not true?.... So why would that comment be facepalm-worthy (ridiculous)?
    Yea, I didn't quite understand that reaction either. Sometimes fpliii can be really logical, other times it seems like praise for the one player who deserves it ... where myth is the reality, upsets him then he makes an illogical emotional reaction. Probably the bitterness of being a Laker fan, knowing the greatest ever played elsewhere. Spoiled brats Laker fan are.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Future repped.

3-time NBA All-Star

Anyone that thinks the 98 Lakers would've won must've not been watching the NBA at the time. Lakers were clearly a very talented team, but were extremely hot-headed and immature. No one watching at the time would've picked them over the Bulls. Barely anyone was even picking them over the Jazz.

Not saying he wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I'd expect him to in any series. I think they beat the 98 Lakers season handily, but it's silly to act as if there are no circumstances under which MJ's team loses a Finals.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Yea, I didn't quite understand that reaction either. Sometimes fpliii can be really logical, other times it seems like praise for the one player who deserves it ... where myth is the reality, upsets him then he makes an illogical emotional reaction. Probably the bitterness of being a Laker fan, knowing the greatest ever played elsewhere. Spoiled brats Laker fan are.
    No way brah, not bitter. MJ is probably the best ever, and if he isn't, it's a Celtic, not a Laker. But disagreeing with the bolded doesn't make me illogical or a hater. Just means I'm of a different opinion.

I give Jordan his due plenty, and the only time I speak against him is when things go overboard. As I've said before, I missed his peak seasons, but from watching those seasons after the fact, and from watching him from 92-93 on, I can obviously tell he was a beast.

3-time NBA All-Star

Another thing - why is there any notion at all that a dominant big man would give the Bulls problems?

The Bulls defeated NUMEROUS all-time great centers - Shaq/Penny... Ewing's Knicks who showed they were championship-level by snap-making the Finals both times Jordan retired in 94' and 99'.... and Riley's 61-win Alonzo Mourning/Tim Hardaway team that was rated 2nd in the league defensively.

This idea that the Bulls would have trouble with bigs is amazingly illogical and has ZERO basis - if it DOES have any basis, please explain what that basis is.

As if Ostertag (that swept the Lakers) has any advantage over Luc Longley... he's at a disadvantage actually - he only gets to play with Stockton/Malone instead of MJ/Scottie.
    Not only this. The teams that had these dominant centers the Bulls didn't face, also lost to teams that didn't have dominant centers and they were obviously lesser teams then the dynasty Bulls. Hakeem's Rockets lost to the Sonics and Jazz multiple times. Robinson's Spurs lost to the Blazers, Warriors, Suns, and Jazz. Shaq's Magic who actually did lose to the Bulls, lost to the Pacers one year as well, and then Shaq's Lakers got destroyed twice by the Jazz. And although they weren't part of the same era, they are sometimes brought up, Duncan's Spurs lost to the Mavs, Suns, Grizzlies, Thunder, and Heat. So yes, the argument is absurd. These weren't anywhere close to unbeatable teams to begin with, but now its the Bulls that were lucky to have not faced them? What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    I don't think Chicago would've been able to deal with Shaq over a 7 game series.
    The Utah Jazz were able to overcome Shaq that year enroute to a sweep, with the two Gregs (Ostertag and Foster) in the middle. But somehow the Bulls wouldn't be able with Longley and Wennington, plus Rodman as a defensive tormentor/pest? And MJ/Pip on the wings neutralizing Kobe and Eddie Jones. In the playoffs?

Ok.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 09-20-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Not saying he wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I'd expect him to in any series. I think they beat the 98 Lakers season handily, but it's silly to act as if there are no circumstances under which MJ's team loses a Finals.
    No way brah, not bitter. MJ is probably the best ever, and if he isn't, it's a Celtic, not a Laker. But disagreeing with the bolded doesn't make me illogical or a hater. Just means I'm of a different opinion.

I give Jordan his due plenty, and the only time I speak against him is when things go overboard. As I've said before, I missed his peak seasons, but from watching those seasons after the fact, and from watching him from 92-93 on, I can obviously tell he was a beast.

I meant MJ not losing to any of the 90s era teams. I just don't see IG happening. He, Phil, and Scottie knew to adjust.

I'd say the 95 Rockets playoff team would give us the most fits. I know they finished 4th or 5th but being a defending champ and getting Clyde mid season gave that team the edge heading into the postseason.