Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: we need to slow down our talking

ha. i hate texting. annoying as shit. and yea people with iphones send like 8 short messages at once, shit gets lost in the weeds. i like giving either curt or lengthy responses and at best try to get the conversation face to face lol

Banned

Text can be utilized in certain situations that require premeditated intentions. It just requires effort and conversational dexterity.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

slo yur ro bro

You should have tweeted this

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    so i'm hanging with a few new neighbours the past few days. they're all pretty fascinating bright people i stumbled upon as i'm moving. but i'm noticing their conversation moves unbelievably fast. topic to topic to joke to insult to another topic and never stopping for a second.

i got to the point where i was actually trying to interject on the interesting ones and pursue it and maybe i was doing that too much. but the bottom line is that i think a lot of the young hip culture here and in much of the western world is thinking at a pace that's a whirlwind to actually unwind.

part of the problem is obvious, on two counts. we have modes of communication that are incredibly fast, obviously you can read and write typically faster than you can speak. we also have a lot more information coming at us all the time. the personal relations industry is enormous. advertising is carefully thought out to leave an impact. we received everyday information from the entire world, through social media, through travel, through news and entertainment valves of consumption, and the list goes on.

this is a whole helluva lot to deal with. and our minds, at least my generation in this seemingly plausible hypothesis, has adapted to these changes by processing information at an extremely brisk pace during interaction but leaving out crucial analytical techniques of reflection and rational examination and, especially i should say, moral and value oriented diagnosis. without these additional interpretative devices, our experience becomes very impoverished and our actions likewise go astray on misguided notions. we can come to understand what to think and how to act only by slowing each other down.

one curiously effective technique to pursue is email. long form writing. like pen pals but instantaneous. fabulous device for transmitting thought. private and efficient. another good way of slowing down, to some extent, is the messageboard. writing is an amazing exercise for the brain and instanteously interacting with people from all over the world is something worth doing seriously. it's ****ing crazy that we can do this.

then again messageboards have drawbacks similar to those of face to face interaction in a certain faction of the global privileged youth. too much too fast yearn to reply, yearn for respect, anonymity allowing for trolls and gimmicks (some are good), no moral accountability so say whatever the hell you want. etc etc etc

i think we need to carry out an intense investigation into what the mediums and technologies of communication look like in the future. the internet is a fabulous resource. let's ensure its implemented as effectively as possible. if you ask me, the direction the computer giants are on is troubling.

i'm ranting now.
    you trying to be clever, sport?

NBA Legend

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Talking fast and saying something are two different things. There's nothing wrong with pace.

I'm not chatting with dumbshits that can't connect dots.
    they're different but obviously overlap. and equally obvious is the fact that the faster you talk, the more likely you are to miss ground you might otherwise cover. it's not without exception but generally speaking i think that's true.

i'm not talking about slowing down the pace of the words that fire out of our mouths, rather the pace of dialogue and interchange as you hop from topic to topic. certain subjects should be exhausted and they're rarely even broached. even when they are, you usually only skim the surface.

INQUIRY. CRITICAL THINKING. EXAMINATION. PRIORITIZATION. GUIDE TO ACTION. PAT ON THE BACK FOR A JOB WELL DONE.

Yea some people are fast talkers with no filter, others are just fast talkers. I used to be an extremely fast talker with no filter... now I think about things a lot more and don't talk much. The bottom line is fast talking = stuff just gets lost. I had an Astronomy teacher who talked so fast it was impossible to process all he was saying even though it was interesting. Maybe some people can process it but most can't... It's like trying to keep up with Usain Bolt on a track. On the other hand, my anthropology teacher talked relatively slow and used pauses for emphasis and I don't ever think I have learned so much from a class.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the speed of things though... some people move really fast and the pressure to keep up is intense. The key is to find your own pace and not caught up in someone else's. A lot of people who move at different speeds don't get along though. The key to any good team is to find people who naturally move at about the same speed.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 08-24-2014 at 06:51 PM.

rank sentamentalist

i've definitely had teachers like that swaggin

digressions are another aspect that are annoying. but i use them a lot. more and more i've been trying to keep track. i'm an interrupter, i'll cut into a story to throw in some question or comment or joke all the time. but i do my best and i think i'm pretty good at remembering where we were in the conversation and redirecting it back to that point.

nothing feels worse than when you start to tell a story, somebody interrupts or makes a side remark, and the conversation continues from there and nobody bothers to backtrack to your story haha

sometimes its a circumstantial interruption and can't be helped. other times it can be the sheer force of the digression that's more interesting or worth more exploration. but much of the time, it's just everybody trying to get theres in.

it's like that quote

"conversation is mostly just people waiting for their turn to talk"

paraphrase anyway. i don't believe that. or at least i don't believe that's what conversation should be or must be. but much of the time it winds up being what it is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yea some people are fast talkers with no filter, others are just fast talkers. I used to be an extremely fast talker with no filter... now I think about things a lot more and don't talk much. The bottom line is fast talking = stuff just gets lost. I had an Astronomy teacher who talked so fast it was impossible to process all he was saying even though it was interesting. Maybe some people can process it but most can't... It's like trying to keep up with Usain Bolt on a track. On the other hand, my anthropology teacher talked relatively slow and used pauses for emphasis and I don't ever think I have learned so much from a class.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the speed of things though... some people move really fast and the pressure to keep up is intense. The key is to find your own pace and not caught up in someone else's. A lot of people who move at different speeds don't get along though. The key to any good team is to find people who naturally move at about the same speed.
    Similar to my current Science teacher. We're reading about Chemical Bonding and he's ****ing flying through the pages. I'm all confused, but then when I read it back later myself, I see that it's actually pretty easy.

Then again, I don't really listen in class.