Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default we need to slow down our talking

so i'm hanging with a few new neighbours the past few days. they're all pretty fascinating bright people i stumbled upon as i'm moving. but i'm noticing their conversation moves unbelievably fast. topic to topic to joke to insult to another topic and never stopping for a second.

i got to the point where i was actually trying to interject on the interesting ones and pursue it and maybe i was doing that too much. but the bottom line is that i think a lot of the young hip culture here and in much of the western world is thinking at a pace that's a whirlwind to actually unwind.

part of the problem is obvious, on two counts. we have modes of communication that are incredibly fast, obviously you can read and write typically faster than you can speak. we also have a lot more information coming at us all the time. the personal relations industry is enormous. advertising is carefully thought out to leave an impact. we received everyday information from the entire world, through social media, through travel, through news and entertainment valves of consumption, and the list goes on.

this is a whole helluva lot to deal with. and our minds, at least my generation in this seemingly plausible hypothesis, has adapted to these changes by processing information at an extremely brisk pace during interaction but leaving out crucial analytical techniques of reflection and rational examination and, especially i should say, moral and value oriented diagnosis. without these additional interpretative devices, our experience becomes very impoverished and our actions likewise go astray on misguided notions. we can come to understand what to think and how to act only by slowing each other down.

one curiously effective technique to pursue is email. long form writing. like pen pals but instantaneous. fabulous device for transmitting thought. private and efficient. another good way of slowing down, to some extent, is the messageboard. writing is an amazing exercise for the brain and instanteously interacting with people from all over the world is something worth doing seriously. it's ****ing crazy that we can do this.

then again messageboards have drawbacks similar to those of face to face interaction in a certain faction of the global privileged youth. too much too fast yearn to reply, yearn for respect, anonymity allowing for trolls and gimmicks (some are good), no moral accountability so say whatever the hell you want. etc etc etc

i think we need to carry out an intense investigation into what the mediums and technologies of communication look like in the future. the internet is a fabulous resource. let's ensure its implemented as effectively as possible. if you ask me, the direction the computer giants are on is troubling.

i'm ranting now.

Default Re: we need to slow down our talking

Welcome to California.

rank sentamentalist

of course

rank sentamentalist

i also read faster than i listen.

You ever make any short posts?

Banned

Hypomania?

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

OP is high.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    OP is high.
    true dat

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    true dat

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    OP is high.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

while donksy is off on his high horse, I do think he has a reasonable point here. Most engagements have become incredibly quick, shallow and disposable. There is some value in taking more time to unpack your thoughts and dwell on a subject for a while.

I do think our media has changed this (even more long term things like radio or even newspapers). People in the past dwelt mostly in their minds in a way most of us no longer do.

Also, people need to slow down their actual talking and enunciate! especially you minorities and Southerners.

rank sentamentalist

it really is a barrage of information. you hear that fact referenced all the time but i don't think people really understand the magnitude of difference between now and... every other moment in history.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    You ever make any short posts?
    Lol'd, cheeky kunt

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Welcome to California.
    seriously. i live in a small town compared to the real media centers of the world. i can't imagine the fast pace and constant craving of your attention in a hub with a lot of people and even more money. and it's not like i live in a fishing village, i'm in the biggest city in the east coast of canada... but still again the magnitude of difference between lifestyles depending on where you live is very understated imo

Banned

i think the worst for me is when i'm texting with a girl. man do i suck at texting. i'm slow as hell. by the time i'm done typing in my response to the first text, they are usually on their 3rd or 4th text and by that time the conversation is on a different topic. nothing more frustrating than making a cheeky joke on one comment but taking too long to send it and by the time you send it the conversation has already moved on to another point and the joke doesn't land because of it. that's why after about two minutes of conversation i just start sending random dick pics. my dick is the answer to everything and it usually ends up leading to sex.