Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1975 Voting

It seems most are split between Lucas ans DeBusschere.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    It seems most are split between Lucas ans DeBusschere.
    I was considering DeBusschere, but based on what you said above about Gus, it wouldn't make much sense to induct one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I was considering DeBusschere, but based on what you said above about Gus, it wouldn't make much sense to induct one over the other.
    I disagree. While at their peak a I prefer the all around skills of Gus, injuries limited his career. Debusschere on the other hand stayed healthy and became the 3rd then 2nd best player on title teams and was all-defensive first team every year of his career they gave the award, even the year he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    I disagree. While at their peak a I prefer the all around skills of Gus, injuries limited his career. Debusschere on the other hand stayed healthy and became the 3rd then 2nd best player on title teams and was all-defensive first team every year of his career they gave the award, even the year he retired.
    Health is a good point. Can you tell me a bit about Johnson's injury history?

He shredded his knees sometime in his third season. They say he'd play with so much pain in his knee. Injections and surgeries.

Bum knees, he was too big and too strong and too athletic for his 6'4" frame. His athleticism was his greatest trait, think Charles Barkley with a defensive motor.

In his first few years Gus made a number of unbelievable plays. Once breaking a rim as he dunked with Guy Rodgers hanging on him. He broke another rim against the Hawks dunking over Bill Bridges and Si Green. Another time slamming home a tip dunk over four Pistons, knocking all of them down as his momentum carried him to the rim. Famous plays with the old hoops writers.

His first major injury came in the Maurice Stokes game for charity. A left wrist dislocation so bad doctors thought he may never use the hand again. That was 67 I believe.

Then the knee problems started. From there on he missed time every year as doctors didn't know how serious the damage was becoming. He never got the proper surgery or recovery time. As a result Gus lost more and more athleticism each year and resorted to floaters and finger rolls instead of dunks.

By 1971 his knees were shot, Gus describes excruciating pain every time he landed from a jump. He had no cartilage for years doctors say. Despite a career year in 70-71, Gus knew his days were limited. Debusschere called him the most physical player he ever faced and said he was never dirty.

Thanks for the responses guys. So what was the last season of his physical prime?

Thanks for the responses guys. So what was the last season of his physical prime?
    66-67 I'd say based on my video collection, but he still showed flashes through 1971.

Like GOAT stated 1971. With bad knees he still avg 18 pts and 17 rebs and was All NBA 2nd and All D 1st. I think he's the most underrated player ever.

Okay. I'll keep Gus on my ballot, and in addition I'll cast a vote for DeBusschere. I'm hoping Gus gets more traction in the next round.