Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default John Stockton (23pts/24asts - playoffs record/5stls) vs. Lakers (1988)

Default Re: John Stockton (23pts/24asts - playoffs record/5stls) vs. Lakers (1988)

Insane game. Saw the highlights to this a few minutes ago.

Oh and happy 10K to me

Default Re: John Stockton (23pts/24asts - playoffs record/5stls) vs. Lakers (1988)

"I have never seen one player to touch the ball so many times as Stockton has... when the other team has the ball"

"He went by Cooper like Cooper wasnt even there" (Cooper was DPOY back then).

GOAT pass-first PG

3:20...
    "he pu55iefooted it up there and you can't do that"

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    "I have never seen one player to touch the ball so many times as Stockton has... when the other team has the ball"

"He went by Cooper like Cooper wasnt even there" (Cooper was DPOY back then).

GOAT pass-first PG
    There were poor games where Chick's commentary single-handedly made them entertaining. The GOAT.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Some nice statpadding there

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

That series was the peak of Stockton and Malone(Bailey/Eaton/Hansen). Too bad they stopped running once Sloan took over.

Default t4

Teammates were throwing up shots as soon as John passed it to them.

Half of those shots were terrible.

Local High School Star

Default Re: t4

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Teammates were throwing up shots as soon as John passed it to them.

Half of those shots were terrible.
    Why terrible? they were open and maybe designed plays on their sweetspots.

NBA Superstar

Question: I'm watching Stockton's 28 assist performance on NBATV right now. Just a moment ago, Stockton poked the ball away, saved it, and in one motion through it down to Karl Malone, who'd never fully gotten back on defense and was standing just above the opposite three point line.

Malone was all by himself when he caught the pass, with the Spurs more or less conceding the basket. However, it took him 3 dribbles and a lot of time to get to the hoop because he kept shuffling and re-setting his feet in preparation for a two-footed dunk. Stockton received an assist on the play. Should he have? My logic says his play directly led to a basket, but Karl Malone tinkered around so long that it began to make me wonder if there's exceptions for people all alone on breakways.

Here's the play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUBGD2rQ8E#t=5m55s
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-19-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Question: I'm watching Stockton's 28 assist performance on NBATV right now. Just a moment ago, Stockton poked the ball away, saved it, and in one motion through it down to Karl Malone, who'd never fully gotten back on defense and was standing just above the opposite three point line.

Malone was all by himself when he caught the pass, with the Spurs more or less conceding the basket. However, it took him 3 dribbles and a lot of time to get to the hoop because he kept shuffling and re-setting his feet in preparation for a two-footed dunk. Stockton received an assist on the play. Should he have? My logic says his play directly led to a basket, but Karl Malone tinkered around so long that it began to make me wonder if there's exceptions for people all alone on breakways.

Here's the play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUBGD2rQ8E#t=5m55s
    You can't possibly be serious...

Wait are you?

NBA Superstar

Stockton was so good. One of my favorite players ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Stockton was so good. One of my favorite players ever.
    Wish Westbrook played more like him and less like a selfish low iq ball hog.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    You can't possibly be serious...

Wait are you?

I do not understand your disbelief. I felt as though an assist were rightful in that case. However, I was merely wondering if there was a threshold at some point where, even if a pass should lead to an immediate basket, if the receiving player dallies along too much does it break the definition of being considered one continuous play.

For instance, had Malone caught the ball, stood still, looked back, then decided to walk in slowly, at any point does that veer from being defined as a direct score?