Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Default Re: For BASKETBALL purists, carries are as cringeworthy in the NBA as flopping:

Durant does it every possession.

Default Re: For BASKETBALL purists, carries are as cringeworthy in the NBA as flopping:

Carrying is indeed a big problem.

However, everyone (today) plays by the same rules, so it's not a major problem for me. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of watching the game. It only becomes a problem when youngsters watch tape of legends like Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Bob Cousy and mock their ball handling. Obviously they were playing within the rules of the time. Today, they'd carry the ball as much as anyone else, if given the opportunity.

One of my few gripes about the game of basketball today is the way that 'fans' celebrate individual plays, e.g. a dunk worth two points or a crossover worth zero points.

I saw some people going mad about a facial dunk once... even though the defender received the inbound ball, dribbled the length of the court and scored a 3.

In other words, fans were mocking the guy who scored more than his opponent. Ridiculous.

I much prefer team basketball. Which is why the Spurs are such a joy to watch.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    but for a purist it is blatantly against the rules to carry the ball but NBA players do it all the time. It makes them look goofy and unskilled
    They are.

The funniest thing was the gif showing Wade changing his pivot foot four of five times while looking for a pass.

Banned

the 3 step dwyane wade spin move and the ginobili eruo double jump step are the biggest travels of all time.

i have way more of a problem with that than carries

National High School Star

While I do agree carrying is a problem, rules have changed (Not "officially" via the rulebook but most definitely verbal changes among referees and probably how the NBA instructs referees) and these new rules for carrying certainly does create more flashy moves for the casual fan, which is what the NBA aims to attract the most

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Nothing is as cringeworthy as this

slow mo always looks like a delayed reaction. This is the stupidest gif ever. Its not even a real flop. If you actually watch the elbow catches him hard across the bridge of the nose.

Decent college freshman

No carries in that video. Not even close. I'm sure some guys do it, but that was a terrible example OP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_(basketball)

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

That's not even as bad as Iverson used to do, but Iverson was the only guy who carried.

Local High School Star

If carries and traveling were called, Durant and LeBron would each average 10 turnovers a game.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    However, everyone (today) plays by the same rules, so it's not a major problem for me. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of watching the game. It only becomes a problem when youngsters watch tape of legends like Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Bob Cousy and mock their ball handling. Obviously they were playing within the rules of the time. Today, they'd carry the ball as much as anyone else, if given the opportunity.
    I am in agreement.

One of my few gripes about the game of basketball today is the way that 'fans' celebrate individual plays, e.g. a dunk worth two points or a crossover worth zero points.

I saw some people going mad about a facial dunk once... even though the defender received the inbound ball, dribbled the length of the court and scored a 3.

In other words, fans were mocking the guy who scored more than his opponent. Ridiculous.

I much prefer team basketball. Which is why the Spurs are such a joy to watch.
    I tend to see the delight from both sides. I feel if I were to break watching or playing basketball into a zero-sum exercise (only about getting the most points, regardless of the fashion with which they're scored) I would derive much less enjoyment from the game itself.

I admit I have seen a friend of mine get his foot stomped on during a crossover, leading him to fall down - at which point a group of folks flipped out - and I found that somewhat laughable. Otherwise, I enjoy the spectacular plays and particularly in pickup games, I can understand the excitement derived, even if someone were to hit a three poniter at the other end. I suppose I am someone who believes it's about who wins and loses, but also about how one plays the game. Sometimes it's this:

Sometimes it's this:

Last edited by Rake2204; 08-16-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Rake2204, I don't disagree with you; I also enjoy a good old ferocious or acrobatic dunk as much as the next person. I could watch Shawn Kemp dunking on Chris Gatling all day long...

...But that's partly because of the incredible act of sportsmanship that immediately followed the dunk, making it twice as memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpdlstqS6Do

I don't expect that after every dunk (although once in a blue moon would be nice). Instead, just finish the play and head back down the court to defend.

And I don't need 14-year-old kids banging on about it for weeks afterwards, mocking the defender.

Good example: Andre Drummond over Brandon Knight. That was a tremendous dunk. We can all appreciate that kind of play. But do I think badly of Knight? Do I think he was 'owned' and made to look stupid? Not at all. I admire him for trying to play some defense, which is perhaps more than most players would have done in that situation.

Better example: Joe Johnson's crossover on Paul Pierce, making him fall down. Are we supposed to celebrate someone falling down? Isn't that kind of sad? Aren't we above that as a species? Sure, it was a great crossover and I enjoyed watching it, but I don't celebrate someone getting embarrassed.

Maybe that's just me. Applaud the 'winner'. No need to mock the 'loser'.

I think it's a generational thing. People who grow up watching 10 second highlights on YouTube tend not to have the patience and intelligence to appreciate the bigger picture, i.e. the intricate team player. Or, more importantly, the final score.
    Last edited by WillC; 08-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    wow thats sad
    I'm sure Bron flops more than Bosh. Here's some proof: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=302139

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Rake2204, I don't disagree with you; I also enjoy a good old ferocious or acrobatic dunk as much as the next person. I could watch Shawn Kemp dunking on Chris Gatling all day long...

...But that's partly because of the incredible act of sportsmanship that immediately followed the dunk, making it twice as memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpdlstqS6Do

I don't expect that after every dunk (although once in a blue moon would be nice). Instead, just finish the play and head back down the court to defend.

And I don't need 14-year-old kids banging on about it for weeks afterwards, mocking the defender.

Good example: Andre Drummond over Brandon Knight. That was a tremendous dunk. We can all appreciate that kind of play. But do I think badly of Knight? Do I think he was 'owned' and made to look stupid? Not at all. I admire him for trying to play some defense, which is perhaps more than most players would have done in that situation.

Better example: Joe Johnson's crossover on Paul Pierce, making him fall down. Are we supposed to celebrate someone falling down? Isn't that kind of sad? Aren't we above that as a species? Sure, it was a great crossover and I enjoyed watching it, but I don't celebrate someone getting embarrassed.

Maybe that's just me. Applaud the 'winner'. No need to mock the 'loser'.

I think it's a generational thing. People who grow up watching 10 second highlights on YouTube tend not to have the patience and intelligence to appreciate the bigger picture, i.e. the intricate team player. Or, more importantly, the final score.
    Well stated. I think I'm with you. I am fascinated with seeing defenders getting their footing so twisted that they lose balance, as it likely means someone has executed a wonderful string of sudden offensive movements on the other side. But I agree, I don't tend to vilify or humiliate that person.

In fact, I tend to respect those who get broken down, as I came to the realization many years ago that those most likely to get crossed up in that manner are those actually giving full effort defensively (it's actually a little tough to "break ankles" of someone not even really trying that hard). Same goes for poster dunks. It doesn't make the dunks or crosses any less spectacular to me, but I tend to respect the efforts of the defense in those situations.

This is rich, coming from a guy that claims Team USA never carries the ball....

Carries are annoying. But nothing tops flopping. That is cringe worthy.