Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Why is no one batting an eye @ Chandler Parsons getting $15m/yr??

you know the term "looking like a million bucks" ?

lets be honest, its because Parsons looks like 15 million bucks

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Because Mavs had cap space they weren't going to use anyway, so they don't care. And Dirk took a ridiculous paycut...why, I have no idea....its crazy how little Dirk is making.

So....no one cares. Plus he's an American white guy. Those guys always make more than their black counterparts.
    What?

we would have still used the cap space. We just like Parsons a lot. I'm not sold on him, but we'll see.

NBA Legend

Hes not worth that money in terms of performance, but there werent many better options. They had to overpay to get the Rockets to pass on matching.

Disappointed they didnt bring back Marion though.

Well a few things:

1) Mavs had to make an offer the Rockets would not match. 3 year/30 million is probably his market value and the Rockets would have probably matched that offer. If Parsons was an UFA he would have received less.

2) Dirk took a paycut so the Mavs had money to spare

3) Mavs are banking on his "potential"

Hayward got paid on similar reasons. Iggy got 4 yr/48 million last year and Tyreke Evenas got 4 year/44 million.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Hes not worth that money in terms of performance, but there werent many better options. They had to overpay to get the Rockets to pass on matching.

Disappointed they didnt bring back Marion though.
    Well, there were better options right now, but we are clearly high on Parsons long term.

I think Carter will be sorely missed, but he's obviously older.

I'm pretty sure we could have fit in Thomas, Ariza, and Blair for the price of Parsons.

It just depends on how long Dirk stays around and how good Parsons becomes.

The Nelson signing and the fact that Chandler/Wright both expire make me think Parsons might ultimately be the best move, but luckily we get to find out in the coming months.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

GMs/owners do it to themsves year after year then blame the system.

Max contracts(whatever the max is for your experience) should be reserved for elite player. But as long as another team will pay it...you have to pay it.

And if they call eachother and set a behind the scenes limit...it would be illegal and the players would sue...and win.

They just have to be reasonable...which is asking too much.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    GMs/owners do it to themsves year after year then blame the system.

Max contracts(whatever the max is for your experience) should be reserved for elite player. But as long as another team will pay it...you have to pay it.

And if they call eachother and set a behind the scenes limit...it would be illegal and the players would sue...and win.

They just have to be reasonable...which is asking too much.

Part of the reason guys like Gay, Iguodala, Melo get big max contracts is bc theyre at least considered entertainment draws. If theyre your only star, as each one was when they got a big contract, they have a lot of financial leverage. If they leave, it hurts the box office. I think thats a big reason why guys get contracts that sometimes seem like a headscratcher in terms of on-court value.

So the owners can complain about it at the next CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    osobeta. Has to look at her picture in a magazine to make a comment.

-Smak

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]He's definitely not worth that much.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Lots of players are overpaid, but why focus on Parsons, a dude that can ball?

Parsons is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    This roleplayer signs for $15m/year and no one bats an eye.

I've never seen this dude do anything beyond be a good roleplayer. I figure I'd watch him a little more closely to at the world scrimmage and even in that loose format he shows no ability to create for others or pressure defenses beyond the simplist drive and dish.

Anyone care to explain this to me?

I dont think so man. I was trashing the contract after he signed, a lot of people were.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    chandler parsons is not a roleplayer, borderline top 8 SF without harden hogging all the shots

kid has length, athleticism, wet stroke, able to play defense, court vision and a killer smile

15 million is a deal for that package
    What is Leonard gonna get then? Killer smile? - most NBA fans are male.

It's too much for Parson. But he is a nice young player who should only get better. It takes him away from a division rival. The Mavs have been striking out on their free agent targets for years, so they needed this win.