Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Most important players of all time?

Bird, Magic, and Jordan are the obvious ones, goes without saying. Those guys took the NBA to new heights.

I think Lebron and Kobe are pretty damn important as well. There was a pretty noticeable void after MJ left. So many perimeter guys just continually disappointing...but those two guys have stuck around and have done a pretty admirable job, despite all the criticism they get, of keeping a level of electricity alive in the NBA. Neither of them are MJ, but without those two this league would've been pretty dead the past 10-15 years or so.

Ray Allen, saved LeBron's legacy...to an extent.

Throw Steve Kerr in there as well.

Michael Jordan is probably the most impactful, influential, most idolized NBA player EVER. He didn't just change the way people looked at the NBA but inspired basketball fans. Back in the 90s you saw kids (including me) wanna go out and ball every time after a Bulls game was done. Michael Jordan is the reason why I started playing basketball. Poor families would buy their kids $200-$300 basketball shoes just because they were called Jordan. His style of play and his impact made fans all around the world wanna play basketball. Even TODAY he has provided inspiration for countless numbers of young basketball players.

There's Michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us." - Magic Johnson aka The GOAT point guard said those words. MJ was just as important on the court as he was outside of it. He made the Bulls one of the most storied franchises in all of sports. One man changed the whole city.

Now look at all his achievements...

6x NBA Champ
    6x Finals MVP
    5x MVP
    14x NBA All-Star
    3x All-Star MVP
    10x All-NBA First Team
    1 DPOY
    2x Slam Dunk Champ

He also had a career average of 30.1 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 5.3 APG... I could keep going. Those aren't even HALF of his achievements. All I can is... Michael Jordan was by far the most important/impactful NBA player of all time.

Another guy that impacted the NBA was Dr. J. His afro, his amazing flashy slam dunks... oh man. I wish I was alive when he was playing. Way before MJ there was a guy named Julius Erving. Before Michael Jordan did the memorable free throw line dunk, Julius Erving did it. If you combined his NBA & ABA stats he would've been a top 5 scorer of all time. Erving was definitely important.

And finally the two guys who came after Dr. J and before Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Easily the biggest rivalry between 2 players ever. In the 80s it was always about either Magic or Larry. There was no clear cut best player in that decade because you had Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. It was always a debate about who the best player. Even when either one of them won the MVP there was STILL a debate. I didn't really get to see the 80s because I was born in 1989 but I KNEW that those two guys were god damn important when my dad told me about them. From 1980-1989 you either saw Larry or Magic. Or even both. Those guys dominated the 1980s and that's why they were important.
    Last edited by Smook A.; 06-21-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Elgin Baylor

During the 1990s, air Jordan shoes didn't cost more ~$150 per pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Michael Jordan is probably the most impactful, influential, most idolized NBA player EVER. He didn't just change the way people looked at the NBA but inspired basketball fans. Back in the 90s you saw kids (including me) wanna go out and ball every time after a Bulls game was done. Michael Jordan is the reason why I started playing basketball. Poor families would buy their kids $200-$300 basketball shoes just because they were called Jordan. His style of play and his impact made fans all around the world wanna play basketball. Even TODAY he has provided inspiration for countless numbers of young basketball players.

There's Michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us." - Magic Johnson aka The GOAT point guard said those words. MJ was just as important on the court as he was outside of it. He made the Bulls one of the most storied franchises in all of sports. One man changed the whole city.

Now look at all his achievements...

6x NBA Champ
    6x Finals MVP
    5x MVP
    14x NBA All-Star
    3x All-Star MVP
    10x All-NBA First Team
    1 DPOY
    2x Slam Dunk Champ

He also had a career average of 30.1 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 5.3 APG... I could keep going. Those aren't even HALF of his achievements. All I can is... Michael Jordan was by far the most important/impactful NBA player of all time.

Another guy that impacted the NBA was Dr. J. His afro, his amazing flashy slam dunks... oh man. I wish I was alive when he was playing. Way before MJ there was a guy named Julius Erving. Before Michael Jordan did the memorable free throw line dunk, Julius Erving did it. If you combined his NBA & ABA stats he would've been a top 5 scorer of all time. Erving was definitely important.

And finally the two guys who came after Dr. J and before Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Easily the biggest rivalry between 2 players ever. In the 80s it was always about either Magic or Larry. There was no clear cut best player in that decade because you had Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. It was always a debate about who the best player. Even when either one of them won the MVP there was STILL a debate. I didn't really get to see the 80s because I was born in 1989 but I KNEW that those two guys were god damn important when my dad told me about them. From 1980-1989 you either saw Larry or Magic. Or even both. Those guys dominated the 1980s and that's why they were important.
    The style of play and all the things you and the world saw him do on tv would have never existed without the mind of Elgin Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The style of play and all the things you and the world saw him do on tv would have never existed without the mind of Elgin Baylor.
    True. He was a very good player for the Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers. Sucks that he didn't get to win a championship though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    True. He was a very good player for the Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers. Sucks that he didn't get to win a championship though.
    I'm working on another mix of his, the variety of things he could do and ways he could play is incredible, I'm still not sure which player from that era is more complete based on studying footage - Elgin or Oscar. IMO, based on what I've seen and heard, he's (as a small forward) the same tier as Larry Bird and Lebron James in terms of mind and ability. Fans are always of course going to look at his resume and not see enough rings to justify that, but the players and his peers that saw him play all say that. Bill Russell said a couple weeks ago Elgin was the greatest player he ever saw, and Oscar Robertson says that too, so Elgin get's really high praise from his contemporaries.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I'm working on another mix of his, the variety of things he could do and ways he could play is incredible, I'm still not sure which player from that era is more complete based on studying footage - Elgin or Oscar. IMO, based on what I've seen and heard, he's (as a small forward) the same tier as Larry Bird and Lebron James in terms of mind and ability. Fans are always of course going to look at his resume and not see enough rings to justify that, but the players and his peers that saw him play all say that. Bill Russell said a couple weeks ago Elgin was the greatest player he ever saw, and Oscar Robertson says that too, so Elgin get's really high praise from his contemporaries.
    Definitely. Some Lakers fans even say that Elgin was better than Kobe Bryant. Never got to see him play but I've seen alot of his videos on YouTube. The first video I watched of him was the game where he had 71 points.

In 1960, Baylor averaged 34.8 pts, 19.8 rebs per game.

He averaged 38.3 ppg's in the 1961-62 season. (2nd all-time after Wilt)

Amazing scorer and rebounder.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    The most important NBA players of all time? Of course, these individuals would have to be more than just great players. They would have to transcend beyond the court and into the hearts and minds of millions around the world. A few players like that come to mind.

In no particular order: These players transcended the game and pretty much built certain foundations for future generations.

1.Michael Jordan
    2.Larry Bird
    3.Magic Johnson
    4.Jerry West
    5.Julius Erving
    6.Bill Russell
    7.Shaquille O'Neal
    8.Kobe Bryant
    9.Oscar Robertson
    10.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    11.Hakeem Olajuwon
    12.Charles Barkley
    13.Scottie Pippen
    14.Allen Iverson
    15.Dennis Rodman
    16.Gary Payton
    17.Isiah Thomas
    18.Tim Duncan
    19.Lebron James
    20.Yao Ming
    Bill russell and oscar and hakeem extra high. Iverson should be top 5.

Bird/Magic saved the league. The games weren't even aired live. MJ elevated the league and made everyone watch.

5-time NBA All-Star

1) Wilt/Russell. In that order. They put the game on the map. Wilt was first to put mythical numbers up and the first who played above the rim. These two set up how the game was to be played on both sides of the ball. Set a bunch of unreachable standards.

2)Magic/Bird. The rebirth and Renaissance players who added a new level of chess and brain power to the game along with great skill, excitement and competition. Set and built the stage for...

3)Jordan. Globalization. Excitement, Flight, Determination, Skill, Excellence, Entertainment all rolled up into one. The Super Package.

4)Mikan/Globetrotters (Tatum, Meadowlark) were the one's who lit the initial flame. Globetrotters were the first international ambassadors. When they beat the Lakers people were really intrigued about the game.

5)Dr J. Without his excitement the 70's would have ship wrecked.

6)Oscar Schmidt/Hakeem/Yao Ming/Dirk for inspiring people on their continent. Exum might bring it to new heights in Australia.

7)Earl Monroe, turned the game into a marvel of moves and counter moves.

8)Iverson - the little man can be among the best. His influence on popular culture might have been the biggest in any sport?

9)Elgin Baylor - You see a bit of most exciting players in him.

10)Oscar/West/McAdoo the first 7 tool players, great all around games with superskills.

Wilt, West, Oscar, Kareem McAdoo, Walton, Bird, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Pippen, Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, Wade, Lebron represent the game in its many facets, dimensions and all around play. Russell and Marques Johnson might be in this category as well: 7 tools is a combination of several skills, excellence and proficiency on the court like scoring/shooting/defense/passing/team play/post play/slashing/blocking/intelligence/middle game or some other value.

Bob McAdoo was the first super-skilled center. Was the first bigman to slash hard to the basket from 23 feet, had real three point range, a very accomplished true jumpshot, probably the best handle for a center, one of the best middle games ever, best center ppg average - outside of Wilt - (and he did it in Kareem's prime while outrebounding Kareem too).
    Last edited by Pointguard; 06-22-2014 at 12:00 PM.

if your talking about impact of the game and "changing" of the game, also for future generations, than you have to mention Nowitzki. everthing else is ridirkoules

National High School Star

I guess if your talking about business,

Magic Bird Jordan

Pretty much singlehandedly saved the NBA (and nike)

Nobody has mentioned Pistol Pete Maravich yet. He's definitely one of the most important players of all-time.

For me, an 'important player' is one who changed the way the game was played. For example, Tim Duncan had a better career (and was arguably a better player) than Kevin Garnett, but I'd argue Garnett was more important because he brought in a whole generation of preps-to-pros big men prospects with a face-up game. In other words, you have to be a pioneer of sorts to make this list.

Here are the most important players in NBA history, in alphabetical order:

- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    - Elgin Baylor
    - Larry Bird
    - Wilt Chamberlain
    - Bob Cousy
    - Julius Erving
    - Kevin Garnett
    - Allen Iverson
    - LeBron James
    - Magic Johnson
    - Michael Jordan
    - Pete Maravich
    - George Mikan
    - Earl Monroe
    - Dirk Nowitzki
    - Shaquille O'Neal
    - Oscar Robertson
    - Bill Russell

Toughest omissions: Joe Fulks, Bill Walton, Earl Lloyd, Hakeem Olajuwon, Jerry West, Kobe Bryant, Moses Malone, John Stockton, Tim Duncan, Isiah Thomas, Nate Archibald, Yao Ming, Bob Davies

Most important non-NBA players: Hank Luisetti, Dutch Dehnert, Nat Holman, Joe Lapchick, Tarzan Cooper