Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why do people fail to realize that Manu Ginobili is Italian, not Argentinan?

Manu is both. Argentine and Italian. Argentina has a lot of European descendants, probably because the climate works well for European agriculture.

Default Re: Why do people fail to realize that Manu Ginobili is Italian, not Argentinan?

Ethnicity is not the same as Nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Hispanics are Spanish.

Hispania = Latin word for Spain
    Hispanic = Spanish
    Okay, let me clarify. People from Mexico to Argentina and everything in between. I have a Colombian friend who obviously has some Indian and a smattering of African blood, yet he claims his family hails from Spain. I have a few Mexican friends, same shit. If you ever watch Latin American TV, they're always fair skinned actors. Latin America has this messed up thing where the more European blood you have, the better. Personally I couldn't care less but they do have that hang up down there. My mom had light brown hair with blue eyes, she was a white Mexican (they do exist) and my dad was fair skinned with curly hair. I'm darker because my grandpa had a lot of Amerindian blood. I basically look like your average latino, not too native looking but not too European either. Anyways I'm rambling, it just bothers me that too many think being of Spanish blood is special, hell no, Spain sucks.
    Last edited by TheMan; 06-13-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Why are you talking about beaners in an Italian thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Threethrows
    Ethnicity is not the same as Nationality.
    "Nationality" is actually a pretty ambiguous term with no clear cut definition. For instance, "nationalism" is usually meant as the idea of state for a particular ethnic group. "Nation" often is used to mean a people, as in an ethnic group.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Okay, let me clarify. People from Mexico to Argentina and everything in between. I have a Colombian friend who obviously has some Indian and a smattering of African blood, yet he claims his family hails from Spain. I have a few Mexican friends, same shit. If you ever watch Latin American TV, they're always fair skinned actors. Latin America has this messed up thing where the more European blood you have, the better. Personally I couldn't care less but they do have that hang up down there. My mom had light brown hair with blue eyes, she was a white Mexican (they do exist) and my dad was fair skinned with curly hair. I'm darker because my grandpa had a lot of Amerindian blood. I basically look like your average latino, not too native looking but not too European either. Anyways I'm rambling, it just bothers me that too many think being of Spanish blood is special, hell no, Spain sucks.
    Agreed.....

Funny thing though........ The British actually are descended from the Northern Spanish. Particularly the Basque region. That was like 10,000+ years ago though.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Ethnically Manu is Italian, nationality wise he is Argentinian.

BTW, this topic gets discussed every week or so.
    Person 1: Manu is Italian
    Person 2: Manu is can't be white he's hispanic asshole
    Person 3: Manu is Argentinian
    Person 4: Manu is actually Argentinian but descendant from Europeans

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    Ginobili is Italian but tony parker is french?
    If Belgium was a real country people would care.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Ethnically Manu is Italian, nationality wise he is Argentinian.

BTW, this topic gets discussed every week or so.
    Person 1: Manu is Italian
    Person 2: Manu is can't be white he's hispanic asshole
    Person 3: Manu is Argentinian
    Person 4: Manu is actually Argentinian but descendant from Europeans
    This

Just a bunch of ignorant 'murricans. The Americas were colonized by Europeans...the British, Spanish and Portuguese.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Spain fails so hard. The British Empire is responsible for countries like America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.....

What does Spain have to show for itself? Shitty South American countries, and not even the one decent one which Portugal can claim. Even to this day a small section of Spain is a British colony.

You suck Spain. Kill yourself.

Are you seriously attempting to impart some sort of sociological wisdom on a basketball forum?

You don't know d[COLOR="Black"]ic[/COLOR]k about history, sociology, or demography. Quit pretending like you do, f[COLOR="Black"]aggo[/COLOR]t.

You suck, NumberSix. Kill yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Are you seriously attempting to impart some sort of sociological wisdom on a basketball forum?

You don't know d[COLOR="Black"]ic[/COLOR]k about history, sociology, or demography. Quit pretending like you do, f[COLOR="Black"]aggo[/COLOR]t.

I think you'd be shocked to find out how much I do know about these subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen

lol, I've had my beefs with NumberSix in the past too, but damn, that's harsh

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

I think you'd be shocked to find out how much I do know about these subjects.
    Based on the quality of your previous posts, I certainly would.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    lol, I've had my beefs with NumberSix in the past too, but damn, that's harsh
    Meh. It's perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I did just tell the entirety of Spain to kill themselves.

Meh. It's perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I did just tell the entirety of Spain to kill themselves.