Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Rumor: Embiids physical w/ Cavs did not go well. Team potentially passing on him?

I don't really care if his medical checks out. Perfectly good medical can still lead to ruined backs.

Stress fracture of the back while playing 20 something games a year? Plus history of back issues in high school. I don't expect his back to hold up against 82 game NBA season + practice + travel.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Rumor: Embiids physical w/ Cavs did not go well. Team potentially passing on him?

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Guess the dude was just trying to grab some headlines. Stupid way to do it, shoulda known people were going to be quick to respond. Was there anybody else pushing this or just one guy?
    No one else is reporting anything close to that, and I sort of shutter to call this a "report." It's just an idiot spouting off.

Last year at this time, Jason Lloyd and Brian Windhorst were the guys to listen to when it came to "franchise sources." Word on the street is that those guys have now been virtually shut out by the Cavs.

Meanwhile...

Sam Amico
    @SamAmicoFSO
    Cavs put Joel Embiid through rigorous workout. His physical checked out fine, source says.
    2:57 PM - 13 Jun 2014

^^^Take that with much more than just a grain of salt. He's now been tapped.

Also, this is worth noting...

M.S. Boyer/J. Valade
    @PDcavsinsider
    Andrew Wiggins will work out for #Cavs next Wednesday and Jabari Parker next Friday, source tells The Plain Dealer.
    2:29 PM - 13 Jun 2014

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Also, this is worth noting...

M.S. Boyer/J. Valade
    @PDcavsinsider
    Andrew Wiggins will work out for #Cavs next Wednesday and Jabari Parker next Friday, source tells The Plain Dealer.
    2:29 PM - 13 Jun 2014
    Makes sense to look at everybody, even if Embiids there guy. Guess you never really know and can read into every little detail but if they do pass on him at #1 and had Wiggins/Parker come in right after his medical maybe his health is an issue.

Until than it does seem like everybody is saying it's fine and it was just that one idiot trying to stir the pot.

If Cavs are confident with all those high picks they have, playing it safe and picking Wiggins or Parker maybe better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    If Cavs are confident with all those high picks they have, playing it safe and picking Wiggins or Parker maybe better for them.
    Maybe but playing it safe won't take them to the next level.

Embiid I think will. I would trust the writers of Cleveland more than this one guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    I don't think those guys are any safer than Embiid and I'm not buying this Rizzo nonsense OP posted. All reports are that the medical went fine, and as long as he's healthy, Embiid's floor is a souped up, bigger Ibaka. I see that as his floor.

We have more to risk passing on Embiid than we do taking him and an injury happening. If you pass on this guy and he approaches his Olajuwon-esque ceiling, we'll never hear the end of it. Things are set up perfectly. All of these past drafts where we could have taken the franchise center and didn't -- Valanciunas, Drummond, Noel, Len -- has enabled the Cavs to be in the perfect position to take the best center prospect yet.

I just don't see any way you can justify passing on this guy.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

oh the sweet tears that will happen if they don't draft Embiid. Will be so funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by NattyPButter
    oh the sweet tears that will happen if they don't draft Embiid. Will be so funny too.
    ?

Weird post.

Back to Business

him not having a good physical can mean anything from not in bball shape to a serious injury and i dont think its th elatter..dude hasnt play bball since what feb?...thats what 4 months of no running up and and down a bball court for 30 minutes to 40 minutes a night?

cavs better draft embiid if they know whats good for them cuz lebron aint walking through that door and wiggins will be the bust of this draft and parker..well how many touches will he get playing alongside a shoot first pg and a shoot first sg in waiters? i say no more than 8 shots a game...cant develop like that...take embiid

Amico:

A few quick Cavaliers notes as we move closer to the June 26 NBA Draft, and perhaps a decision on the head coach:

-- Former Kansas center Joel Embiid was put through a rigorous individual workout during his visit earlier this week. Word is Embiid looked every bit as talented as expected and his physical checked out just fine. That means there were no major "red flags" about his troublesome back.

-- Yes, there have been conflicting reports about Embiid, and here's the bottom line: His back is a concern. Maybe not a major concern, and maybe not enough of a concern for the Cavs to pass on him with the No. 1 overall pick. But the stress fracture that caused Embiid to miss the postseason at Kansas is still on everyone's mind. You don't just wave a magic wand and make an injury like that go away forever. You need a little luck, and it needs to be monitored.

-- It doesn't seem like the Cavs have a frontrunner, and it's doubtful one will be determined until at least next week -- after ex-Kansas swingman Andrew Wiggins and ex-Duke forward Jabari Parker come in for their own individual workouts. The Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported both were coming to town and FOX Sports Ohio sources later confirmed: Wiggins will work out Wednesday, followed by Parker on Friday.

-- Parker is believed to have been first on the Cavs' draft board for most of the college basketball season, as well as immediately after the Cavs won the lottery. There's no evidence that has changed. But there's no evidence it hasn't. Welcome to the fun of the NBA Draft.

-- Two rumors floating around the Internet about Wiggins: He only wants to play for the Philadelphia 76ers; and the Sixers may be willing to trade their Nos. 3 and 10 picks to the Cavs for the first overall.

-- OK, now the truth: 1. Wiggins' camp has denied he only wants to play for Philly; 2. As of this moment, the Sixers have zero interest in trading the Nos. 3 and 10 picks for the first. Zero. Interest. It's unclear whether the Cavs would want to make that deal, either. They seem to enjoy the power that comes with No. 1.

-- The Bucks would be thrilled with Parker. So if the Cavs take Embiid, the Sixers will get their man in Wiggins (who they want badly). But the Sixers don't like Wiggins enough to give up two young talented draft prospects for him, a source said. Read: As of today, they're keeping the 10th pick.

-- Finally, it may not be far-fetched to think the Cavs' coaching search is now a three-man race between David Blatt, Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue. Talks between the Cavs and Blatt were said to be "heating up" Friday, with Blatt due in next week for a face-to-face interview. But it appears the Cavs are equally enthralled with Gentry and Lue, both Clippers assistants. This picture should be considerably clearer by the middle of next week.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...-s-no-1-061314

While I've said Amico's information is, for the first time, coming from the Cavs, he's still the same old Amico in a lot of ways. The idea that he doesn't believe the Cavs "have a frontrunner" at this point is comical. That's what they're feeding him... same thing with the Parker stuff.

He's always been afraid to commit one way or the other and he holds true to form. I'm glad he's putting the Sixers trade stuff to bed. That was a stupid rumor.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-14-2014 at 02:44 AM.

I think in a league with a lack of dominant big men you have to love what Embiid could become. Maybe in league with more bigs it isn

I don't think those guys are any safer than Embiid and I'm not buying this Rizzo nonsense OP posted. All reports are that the medical went fine, and as long as he's healthy, Embiid's floor is a souped up, bigger Ibaka. I see that as his floor.

We have more to risk passing on Embiid than we do taking him and an injury happening. If you pass on this guy and he approaches his Olajuwon-esque ceiling, we'll never hear the end of it. Things are set up perfectly. All of these past drafts where we could have taken the franchise center and didn't -- Valanciunas, Drummond, Noel, Len -- has enabled the Cavs to be in the perfect position to take the best center prospect yet.

I just don't see any way you can justify passing on this guy.
    I don't see Embiid's back as a huge problem. I think he'll deal with it and be a really, really good pro.

But rich-man's Ibaka is not his floor. His floor is Oden 2.0. He had back problems in college, he has rumors of back problems now. As much as you'd like to laugh it off as a rumor, he's a 7'0 dude with a history of back problems. You can't just ignore that.

Amico:

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...-s-no-1-061314

While I've said Amico's information is, for the first time, coming from the Cavs, he's still the same old Amico in a lot of ways. The idea that he doesn't believe the Cavs "have a frontrunner" at this point is comical. That's what they're feeding him... same thing with the Parker stuff.

He's always been afraid to commit one way or the other and he holds true to form. I'm glad he's putting the Sixers trade stuff to bed. That was a stupid rumor.
    I just have a hard time believing that the concern is strictly a precautionary concern as of right now. The report you posted is filled with a ton of confidence and "he looks great, don't trust Rizzo" stuff.

But is it really just precautionary? I know they're not going to release any specific medial information, but it's still curious. Drummond had a stress fracture, and he recovered completely from it, and looks as explosive and physically dominant as ever. From all reports aside from Rizzo, Embiid looks terrific, even more physically dominant than he was with Kansas, with the 15 pounds of added muscle. Just the terms "stress fracture" and "back injury" are scary enough to warrant lingering worries...but if all his physical tests and workouts tested out great, what is the concern they explicitly mention? Is there something beyond just precautionary fear? Because there's an unusual amount of uncertainty and "maybe" about picking him #1 mentioned in the article. A lot of people like to compare this situation to Oden as a reason for fear, but it's really quite different outside of it being a big man with an injury.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Uh oh I want him to be a HOF