Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How many guards/wings shot 50% and scored 20+ in 80's/90's

That's only because the 3pt usage was lower back then. The scoring efficiency back then was the same as it is now.

When will people realize that FG% is outdated and useless? There are better metrics that include other ways teams score besides 2 point field goals. A team could shoot 40% and beat a team that shot 50%.

Shooting 4/10 with 4 threes >>>>> shooting 5/10 with no threes

FG% doesn't tell you that tho.

5-time NBA All-Star

I think the three point shot is the main contributor.

Scouts began looking for shooters.

Post game is now almost non-existent - Walt Frazier had a great post game.

Dirk isn't even a wing player and he pulled it (50%) off only twice in 16 years. Ray Allen is as good of shooter as anybody who ever played and he never did it, despite having a majority of his seasons shooting above 39% from three and a very high 40% from three career-wise.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who shot over 50% from 2 point land in the later years but not at the same ratio as earlier years due to lack of post game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    That's only because the 3pt usage was lower back then. The scoring efficiency back then was the same as it is now.
    I have no idea why these dudes struggle so much with such a basic concept. Like I pointed out last night, look at Tony Parker and Dwyane Wade's shooting %s (note how many times they've shot over 50) then take a look at how many 3s they take per game. Then tell me how many 3s perimeter players in the 80s/90s were taking compared to now.

This is elementary school shit, people

But if you want to have a frank discussion about which era's wing players had it harder scoring wise, show me any season in NBA History where the perimeter scoring was as prolific as '05-'06 (following the no touching/3 second violation rule changes in the summer)

[COLOR="Red"]1) Kobe Bryant (6'6 SG) 35.4 PPG [Drafted 1996]
    2) Allen Iverson (5'11 PG/SG) 33 PPG [Drafted 1996]
    3) LeBron James (6'8 SF) 31.4 PPG [Drafted 2003]
    4) Gilbert Arenas (6'3 PG/SG) 29.6 PPG [Drafted 2001][/COLOR]

5) Dwyane Wade (6'4 SG) 27.2 PPG [Drafted 2003]
    [COLOR="Red"]6) Paul Pierce (6'7 SF) 26.8 PPG [Drafted 1998]
    7) Dirk Nowitzki (7' "PF") 26.6 PPG [Drafted 1998][/COLOR]

8) Carmelo Anthony (6'8 SF) 26.5 PPG [Drafted 2003]
    [COLOR="Red"]9) Michael Redd (6'6 SG) 25.4 PPG [Drafted 2000]
    10) Ray Allen (6'5 SG) 25.1 PPG [Drafted 1996][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]= Career High PPG

*Ray and Redd played 55 games or less the next season where they averaged a bit more than '06*

Wade, a 6'4 SG, had the lowest 3PA/gm of the top 10 and, by pure coincidence of course, he had the highest FG% (49.5). Carmelo had the second lowest 3 attempts, and, again by pure coincidence, had the second highest FG% (48.1). Wade also set the record for most FTA in a finals series that season.

Funny that guys that were drafted in the mid-late 90s (Kobe, AI, Ray, Pierce, Dirk, etc) didn't have their career best scoring seasons until the rule changes, some of them occurring 10 seasons after they were drafted.

But if you can find me a more prolific perimeter scoring season (or era really), please do let me know
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 06-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I have no idea why these dudes struggle so much with such a basic concept. Like I pointed out last night, look at Tony Parker and Dwyane Wade's shooting %s (note how many times they've shot over 50) then take a look at how many 3s they take per game. Then tell me how many 3s perimeter players in the 80s/90s were taking compared to now.

This is elementary school shit, people

But if you want to have a frank discussion about which era's wing players had it harder scoring wise, show me any season in NBA History where the perimeter scoring was as prolific as '05-'06 (following the no touching/3 second violation rule changes in the summer)

[COLOR="Red"]1) Kobe Bryant (6'6 SG) 35.4 PPG [Drafted 1996]
    2) Allen Iverson (5'11 PG/SG) 33 PPG [Drafted 1996]
    3) LeBron James (6'8 SF) 31.4 PPG [Drafted 2003]
    4) Gilbert Arenas (6'3 PG/SG) 29.6 PPG [Drafted 2001][/COLOR]

5) Dwyane Wade (6'4 SG) 27.2 PPG [Drafted 2003]
    [COLOR="Red"]6) Paul Pierce (6'7 SF) 26.8 PPG [Drafted 1998]
    7) Dirk Nowitzki (7' "PF") 26.6 PPG [Drafted 1998][/COLOR]

8) Carmelo Anthony (6'8 SF) 26.5 PPG [Drafted 2003]
    [COLOR="Red"]9) Michael Redd (6'6 SG) 25.4 PPG [Drafted 2000]
    10) Ray Allen (6'5 SG) 25.1 PPG [Drafted 1996][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]= Career High PPG

*Ray and Redd played 55 games or less the next season where they averaged a bit more than '06*

Wade, a 6'4 SG, had the lowest 3PA/gm of the top 10 and, by pure coincidence of course, he had the highest FG% (49.5). Carmelo had the second lowest 3 attempts, and, again by pure coincidence, had the second highest FG% (48.1). Wade also set the record for most FTA in a finals series that season.

Funny that guys that were drafted in the mid-late 90s (Kobe, AI, Ray, Pierce, Dirk, etc) didn't have their career best scoring seasons until the rule changes, some of them occurring 10 seasons after they were drafted.

But if you can find me a more prolific perimeter scoring season (or era really), please do let me know
    Because it fits their agenda.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    80s defenses were garbage, That's why it was so frequent back then.
    Guys now shoot more 3s than entire teams did then. Kobe is a career 48% shooter inside the 3 point line.

Edit.

I see that was covered.

Well done. *goes out the back door*

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    I think allowing Zone was neccessary. It's just a form of defence, I don't see how anyone could rationally argue that a whole form of defence is prohibited?
    And that no team plays primarily zone. You go games, upon games, without seeing a second of zone defense. I don't see why some get so up in arms about it.

I think it's pretty amazing that Dragic averaged 20+ on 50/40 shooting. Didn't watch Suns game, but how'd he do it?

People shoot higher percentages now. Bigs maybe don't shoot as high, but it's weird that wings do. No reason someone like KD should crack .500. Would never happen in the previous NBA.

And maybe it's because people are consciously protecting their shit, but I also feel D is worse.

The floater has become such a money shot, too. People used to talk about how hard floaters were (and they really aren't imo.) But now people get em all day. I'd like to know the percentage of players on floaters in the NBA compared to back then. lol

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Damn, look how much easier it is to score now. Freaking handchecking in the 80's and 90's! Don't people know that handchecking is basically an unstoppable wall that doesn't let you score at all?

Oh come on. You know very well reason, that single players today shoot more 3 pointers in a season than whole teams back then and you're posting that? That's not being very honest with yourself just because you've been so passionate about this topic the last few weeks and want to convince yourself that even thought the league banned hand checking to make it a more guard friendly league, it didn't have any effect at all, and only made it harder for perimeter players.