Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Cavs offered coach Calipari 60 mil to be team president/coach

And he turned it down.

Scary....

I think of coach cal as a master recruiter and a mediocre coach, and I definitely wouldn't make him the president of an NBA franchise...

Default Re: Cavs offered coach Calipari 60 mil to be team president/coach

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    And he turned it down.

Scary....

I think of coach cal as a master recruiter and a mediocre coach, and I definitely wouldn't make him the president of an NBA franchise...
    Hes a great recruiter so potentially makes an excellent GM. As a coach, well, not that much if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Hes a great recruiter so potentially makes an excellent GM. As a coach, well, not that much if you ask me.

yeah but college recruiting is a whole different ball of wax from NBA gm'ing.

7 years... 60 million... Gilbert is throwing around some serious money on a gamble like coach cal.

wow im impressed, how much do they get paid in college ball? i mean 60mil is a lot, but since i have no idea about the benefits of college ball...any one knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    wow im impressed, how much do they get paid in college ball? i mean 60mil is a lot, but since i have no idea about the benefits of college ball...any one knows?
    Kentucky just gave Cal a 7 Year/52.5 Million Dollar Extension. Presumably because of the Cavs offer.

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    Kentucky just gave Cal a 7 Year/52.5 Million Dollar Extension. Presumably because of the Cavs offer.

it's utterly insane we have college coaches making that much money.

Coach K makes over 10 Million a season. It is crazy.

In terms of how much revenue he brings into the University, what he gets paid is not crazy.

I'm a big Cal fan but idk if this would have worked out for the Cavs. I actually think he can be a pretty good NBA coach, but to give him that much power and control would be a bit overboard. I know he's pretty close to LeBron, I wonder if that was part of their reasoning?

His X's and O's are definitely underrated, he's far from a 'mediocre' coach in that respect. He's also great at handling personalities which is a big part of the job in the NBA.

When Coach K is losing to Mercer in the first round with Jabari Parker he's what, unlucky? And Cal taking a team of all freshman all the way to the final is just 'letting them play' because he's such a mediocre coach? Give me a break.

Having Cal on board would basically kill Griffin, therefore, I'm glad it didn't go through. I'd rather have a shot with Donovan or Blatt.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO
    As for AP report of Cavs and David Blatt, I've been told it's accurate. Sides have talked a couple times and Cavs' interest is genuine.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

60 million and be pres of team
    Or
    52 million and be swimming in college *****

Id take option 2 also.

Mr. Calipari is in a great situation right now in Kentucky. He'd have to get that sort of money or even more from a historical franchise like the Lakers or Boston for him to get pulled away from the grasps of college right now.

In other Cavs news Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue were granted second interviews.

Personally, I'm not judging who they hire at all until the season is over. I don't know how any of those coaches will work out. I just hope that whoever they hire is the right decision and they make the team better and take them in the right direction.

Not really. Compared to all those top HS recruits he brings in and how much money that college makes just from basketball alone.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    In terms of how much revenue he brings into the University, what he gets paid is not crazy.

I'm a big Cal fan but idk if this would have worked out for the Cavs. I actually think he can be a pretty good NBA coach, but to give him that much power and control would be a bit overboard. I know he's pretty close to LeBron, I wonder if that was part of their reasoning?

His X's and O's are definitely underrated, he's far from a 'mediocre' coach in that respect. He's also great at handling personalities which is a big part of the job in the NBA.

When Coach K is losing to Mercer in the first round with Jabari Parker he's what, unlucky? And Cal taking a team of all freshman all the way to the final is just 'letting them play' because he's such a mediocre coach? Give me a break.
    Cal is right where he should be. He's not a good NBA coach. He's great a recruiting top college talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Not really. Compared to all those top HS recruits he brings in and how much money that college makes just from basketball alone.
    i'm not saying it's totally unjustifiable, i just think it's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Cal is right where he should be. He's not a good NBA coach. He's great a recruiting top college talent.

my thoughts exactly