Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Cavs interested in making David Blatt their next head coach?

Seems like a nice fit for Cleveland, but they have to be patient if it doesn't start well.

Reports are that Blatt will meet with the Cave this Wednesday.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Reports are that Blatt will meet with the Cave this Wednesday.
    Here's the Woj article released today...

The Cleveland Cavaliers plan to interview David Blatt for their head coaching job on Wednesday in Cleveland, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

One of the most successful European coaches of this era, Blatt resigned from his job as the championship coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv to pursue his longtime goal of coaching in the NBA.

Unless the Cavaliers move quickly to hire Blatt upon meeting him, there's a strong belief within the Golden State Warriors and some close to Blatt that he'll accept a job as Steve Kerr's top assistant. Kerr seems willing to give Blatt the opportunity to push his process with Cleveland into mid-week, but it's doubtful that Kerr will go much longer than that without pushing Blatt for a commitment, sources said.

Nevertheless, Blatt will fly to the United States to meet with Cavaliers officials about the job. Cleveland has narrowed its known field to three candidates, including Los Angeles Clippers assistant coaches Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue, but owner Dan Gilbert has continued to pursue high-profile college candidates in a far less public, far more clandestine process, sources said.

Blatt, 55, was born and raised in the United States, playing his college basketball for Pete Carill at Princeton before embarking on a hugely successful head coaching career overseas.

Blatt coached an undermanned Macabbi Tel Aviv to a dramatic upset victory over Real Madrid in the Euroleague championships. Blatt has had tremendous success across two decades overseas, winning the 2007 Eurobasket championship with Russia and a bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...200546634.html

It doesn't sound like the Cavs will have much time to weigh their options following the meeting. I'm hoping they offer him the job on the spot. If they let him walk out the door, he's probably going to end up in Golden State.

On paper, this looks like a perfect fit. Blatt's offense is all about slashing guards putting pressure on a defense and getting them in scramble mode. We have arguably the best young tandem of slashing guards in the league. I would also expect Karasev to explode in his system.

Defensively, his teams are aggressive, relying on 7-footers to protect the rim if it breaks down.

Kyrie/Embiid/Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/Karasev + Blatt =

Bumping this thread since it's buried after the Finals conclusion. The meeting is supposedly today, I hope to hear good news. I'd like them to get a head coach hired before the draft.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Bumping this thread since it's buried after the Finals conclusion. The meeting is supposedly today, I hope to hear good news. I'd like them to get a head coach hired before the draft.

i thought the meeting was tomorrow. I know they have wiggins coming in tomorrow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    i thought the meeting was tomorrow. I know they have wiggins coming in tomorrow as well.
    I got my days mixed up, you're correct. In any case bump anyway. It's been a hard last week.

Any news on this? I saw Lloyd post an article about the meeting supposedly taking place today, but no details on what's happened. Nothing coming out from Cavs about Wiggins workout either. Maybe not until tomorrow?

Doesn't sound especially promising for Blatt...

I wouldn't totally scrap the idea despite those tweets. I get the feeling that he wants the Cavs to make a decision ASAP. That GSW job isn't going to stay open for him indefinitely. His livelihood is on the line, here.

With that perspective, it would make sense for his people to put out there that he's leaning toward GS, who has made it clear they want him as an assistant if he wants the job. By doing that, he is sending a message that the Cavs need to make a decision promptly.

There are also rumors swirling about a "mystery" coach now in the running for the Cavs job. Most are assuming it is one of the college guys, although they have floated out David Fizdale's name recenlty (Miami assistant).

Personally, I wish they'd just hire Blatt tomorrow. If they don't choose him by the end of the week, I'd assume he's out of the running and will likely take the GSW job.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I wouldn't totally scrap the idea despite those tweets. I get the feeling that he wants the Cavs to make a decision ASAP. That GSW job isn't going to stay open for him indefinitely. His livelihood is on the line, here.

With that perspective, it would make sense for his people to put out there that he's leaning toward GS, who has made it clear they want him as an assistant if he wants the job. By doing that, he is sending a message that the Cavs need to make a decision promptly.

There are also rumors swirling about a "mystery" coach now in the running for the Cavs job. Most are assuming it is one of the college guys, although they have floated out David Fizdale's name recenlty (Miami assistant).

Personally, I wish they'd just hire Blatt tomorrow. If they don't choose him by the end of the week, I'd assume he's out of the running and will likely take the GSW job.
    Who's your next pick after Blatt? I want them to hire him as well, just as an outside the box type of deal.

Who's your next pick after Blatt? I want them to hire him as well, just as an outside the box type of deal.
    Well, if we're to believe the three finalists are Blatt, Lue and Gentry, I'd rather have Lue over Gentry.

But, if we're including potential college coaches as the "mystery" candidates? I'm still hoping Billy Donovan is in the picture.

I'd rate them 1. Blatt, 2. Donovan, 3. Lue, 4. Gentry.

This Amico article just went up and, like I've been telling you guys, while I have little respect for him as a journalist, he's being fed information directly from the Cavs. He is basically what Windy and Lloyd used to be in terms of access.

Cavs Report: Wiggins impresses; coaching decision may be near

Some news and notes about the Cavaliers as we move closer to the NBA Draft, free agency, and perhaps a coaching hire:

-- Andrew Wiggins worked out for the Cavs on Wednesday, and sources said the Kansas swingman looked very good. That's not necessarily a surprise. Like KU center Joel Embiid and Duke forward Jabari Parker, there's a reason Wiggins is under consideration for the No. 1 overall pick.

-- Embiid worked out for the Cavs last week. Parker is in on Friday. The top overall pick remains wide open.

-- Despite the multiple reports, the 76ers have not made a concrete offer for the first pick. The Cavs, however, believe that will change between now and next Thursday.

-- Staying with the draft, the Cavs are exploring the idea of using their second-round pick (No. 33) as part of a package and moving up to nab another pick in the first round. Teams in the late first have been receptive to such a potential deal, sources said.

-- The Cavs interviewed David Blatt for the head-coaching position Wednesday. It was their first face-to-face talk with the former Maccabi Tel Aviv coach. According to sources, the interview went well. It's quite possible the Cavs will hire a new coach this weekend.

-- That said, the Cavs may still talk to Heat assistant David Fizdale before making a final call on the coach. Fizdale said he has not yet been contacted by the Cavs.

-- On the free-agent and trade front, the Cavs had previously ruled out a possible deal for Timberwolves star Kevin Love. They are, however, again considering making a run at him. Again, a lot would come down to Love's willingness to remain in Cleveland beyond next season.

-- Heat star LeBron James, who can opt out of his contract, is well aware of the Cavs' interest. James has not made any decisions and has not yet gotten into deep discussions with his people.

-- Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, of course, can also opt out of their Heat contracts. It is believed at least Wade is likely to opt in. Either way, sources close to the situation believe the decisions of Wade and Bosh will not have an impact on what James decides.

-- Perhaps playing a bigger role will be James' wife, Savannah. Sources said Miami is not on the top of her wish list when it comes to places to live. San Diego and her hometown of Akron are said to be higher. Savannah does not want to live in New York, sources said.

-- James has heard the "Come Home LeBron" campaign from factions of Cavs fans, but it is believed no one could pull him back like the students of St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, his alma mater. As silly as it may sound, sources said if St. V supporters and kids started asking him to return, it would weigh on him heavily. "That school and those kids get to him," a source said.

-- In other coaching news, sources around the league believe former Cavs coach Byron Scott has emerged as the frontrunner for the Lakers' coaching job.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...be-near-061814

If they do make a decision this weekend, I'd say it is very likely Blatt is the choice. If we go through Sunday and there is still no announcement, I'll assume he's not. This is encouraging news for the pro-Blatt camp, however.

NBA All-star

Remember how the Mavs lost Deron Williams to the Nets?

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    Remember how the Mavs lost Deron Williams to the Nets?
    What's your point?