Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Explain to me what empty stats are

I just don't get it.

Let's take Kevin Love. He put up really really good numbers but his team's records were always ass. ISH puts the blame on him, but never take into consideration the output or lack thereof of the rest of his team. Can somebody help me see the light on this whole empty stats thing?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Explain to me what empty stats are

LeBron in the Finals last year is a good example to use for "empty stats," so long as you actually watched the Finals last year.

Its when you put up monster numbers but don't win games

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    LeBron in the Finals last year is a good example to use for "empty stats," so long as you actually watched the Finals last year.
    Why were they empty in your opinion? Sure, some of those points came late in the game after it was out of hand for the most part. He still scored a higher percentage of his team's points than any other player out there. Are you basing it on when some of his points came?

Were Westbrook' sand Durant's stats empty in their losses to the Spurs? I sure as hell don't think so. I think they lost because their teammates didn't have a high enough output. Not enough points, rebs, blocks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Its when you put up monster numbers but don't win games
    Dwight's numbers weren't empty when we lost to the Blazers. He played his ass off.

empty stats Russ cries...yet also complains that Lebron sat out the final minutes of the Spurs close-out game. Had he stayed in, Russ would just use it as empty stats too.

Russ just never ceases to amaze me...it's pretty pathetic the conjuring he'll attempt to fit his agenda

The idea is that even on terrible teams, someone will be scoring. Not because they are good, but because all the other players are bad as well, and someone has to take the shot.

The sixers were awful last year, but they still averaged 100ppg. Someone had to get those stats, even if they clearly weren't very good, as evidenced by their extreme losing streak

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    The idea is that even on terrible teams, someone will be scoring. Not because they are good, but because all the other players are bad as well, and someone has to take the shot.

The sixers were awful last year, but they still averaged 100ppg. Someone had to get those stats, even if they clearly weren't very good, as evidenced by their extreme losing streak

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

The term is often misused but I just take as stats that didn't really affect the game much eg. a rebound that bounces right to you with no one else around you. If this happened ten times it doesn't make you a good rebounder. Or scoring points at the end of the game when you could've just let the clock run.

College superstar

High PPG, low efficiency. Classic chucking. Fools ignorant fans and dumb GMs.

Rebounds taken from team mates, ignoring defense to position for boards. Troy Murphy was a god at this.

Ball hogging for the assist, refusing to take shots to pad to the detriment of the offense. Rondo and CP3 are pretty good at this.

Going for every block instead of playing fundamental defense, getting pump faked to death, etc. but people will say "oh mai god 4bpg you guys so good."

Padding in garbage time against the bench or when no one is trying anymore.

Winning games in the Eastern Conference.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 08-29-2014 at 03:05 PM.

I usually hit open layups

Evan Turner scoring 20 ppg on the 2013-14 Sixers before he got traded... empty stats.

But Kevin Love? He does not apply to this conversation. The Wolves were not a good team, but he is clearly one of the best players in the NBA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    This. Put up the best finals stats of his life and just barely slithered his way out of getting swept with a far more stacked team then the Spurs

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Why were they empty in your opinion? Sure, some of those points came late in the game after it was out of hand for the most part. He still scored a higher percentage of his team's points than any other player out there. Are you basing it on when some of his points came?

Were Westbrook' sand Durant's stats empty in their losses to the Spurs? I sure as hell don't think so. I think they lost because their teammates didn't have a high enough output. Not enough points, rebs, blocks etc.
    It's the way it is man. Durant may put up empty stats often but someone like Westbrook almost never does. Simple statsheets can be so deceiving. There are so many cases where a player provided much more of an impact than the box score would show, or cases where a player provided much less of an impact.

I get that LeBron had little help in the Finals, but when the games were still close and he had Kawhi guarding him, he didn't do shit, and let Kawhi do more on offense than he was capable of doing.

This wasn't intended to be about LeBron either, there are tons of other examples, he is just the most obvious recent one.

Adrian Dantley.

I don't believe in empty stats. Some player are just very unfortunate that they play in a losing team.