Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Game fixing in the NBA. Possible?

At least a few "meaningless" regular season games are most likely rigged.

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

FIFA is a much larger sporting body than the NBA and everyone knows it happens there and in many soccer leagues. These guys don't care about consequences... they care about money.

What are the consequences anyway? They don't do time. .. they get a fine that is dwarfed by how much they made via the fixing.

Banned

I'm not really sure on this to be honest. Cricket is another sport that's had a lot of match fixing issues but they are largely caused by teams from countries that don't pay wages on par with the other nations (even if they do make substantially more than their own countries average wages). Also caused by the fact gambling on sports is illegal in India so there is a large number of illegal bookies running the bets and they allow you to bet on EVERYTHING which can lead to you betting on say the 10th ball bowled by a particular player being a no ball (an illegal ball) which can easily be set up by the player deliberately and they can justify it by saying one bad ball won't change the outcome of the game. Cricket match fixing can be (and has been) punished by prison time, lifetime bans and has lead to death threats and attacks on players families in their home country but some players still do it.

I suppose if there's bookies around who let you bet on a player missing a certain number of shots or some other variable that a player can actually control then it's possible. There has been points shaving scandals in the NCAA before.

Refs being one sided is a different issue though, that's the NBA trying to control the leagues marketing of certain players and certain teams, while I don't think it goes as far as completely rigging a game it has turned the momentum of big games before.

Take it from me: It is more than possible.