Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Game fixing in the NBA. Possible?

I just read some article about match fixing in soccer. There's some huge gambling syndicates that earn billions of dollars every year fixing soccer matches such as international friendlies (don't know if they've infiltrated the World Cup or the major pro leagues). I'm kinda worried that these syndicates will turn their attention to the NBA and start paying off the referees to fix the games. Do you think that such a thing is possible? Sports betting is such a big business.
    Last edited by deja vu; 06-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Match fixing in the NBA. Possible?

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Game fixing in the NBA. Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    I just read some article about match fixing in soccer. There's some huge gambling syndicates that earn billions of dollars every year fixing soccer matches such as international friendlies (don't know if they've infiltrated the World Cup or the major pro leagues). I'm kinda worried that these syndicates will turn their attention to the NBA and start paying off the referees to fix the games. Do you think that such a thing is possible? Sports betting is such a big business.
    While it's theoretically possible for a ref to be bought, I just can't imagine it actually happening in the NBA. The NBA would take great care with it's name. After all, at the end of the day, this is all you really have with the NBA brand--that the games are honest and real. Without this, the NBA could collapse.

It's really that serious. If there was ever any doubt about the games, new businessmen could then enter the picture and form a new league, and players would join him. Without players, the NBA is nothing. In the NBA, players are kings. They dictate, and they can and will find the owners or new league they would want to belong to.

So you think the NBA would allow it's name to be sullied by rigging games for ratings? By rigging it so the Lakers could beat the Kings, and LA could be in the Finals? Any temporary potential gain could be nullified by a disastrous consequence.

If I were an NBA franchise owner, there is no way I would want the league as a whole to be doubted by any fan. In the sports business, perception is everything.

It's a lot more plauseable that it would happen in a small league where there is little money to begin with, for example the Romanian league.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    It's a lot more plauseable that it would happen in a small league where there is little money to begin with, for example the Romanian league.
    I agree, it has to be off the radar.. Vegas watches out for this type of thing, they want nothing to do with game fixing

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    Lucrative too. Doesn't really rely on the economy like other stocks do (I think Mark Cuban said something about trying to open one eventually). I think there are some hedge funds that do solely sports betting as their investments. There was in Europe that failed but I think there is one doing pretty well in Australia.

There is definitely some rigging involved sometimes. But not every game like some of these idiots on here say. Vegas always has a phone by their side and will make a call if they need something.

Serious playground baller

So everyone is going to pretend that the 2002 Lakers werent gifted the finals after game 6 and the 27 4th quarter fts in a game 7 6 point win?

That was 100% confirmed rigged. So much so that the NBA forbid Bavetta from speaking on it or addressing it.
    Last edited by LBJ4MVP23; 06-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ4MVP23
    2202 Lakers

Serious playground baller

edited.

But yes 200 years to the DAY the same scumbag rigging that occurred in 2002 will happen again in a lakers vs kings WCF.

NBA Superstar

So everyone is going to pretend that the 2002 Lakers werent gifted the finals after game 6 and the 27 4th quarter fts in a game 7 6 point win?

That was 100% confirmed rigged. So much so that the NBA forbid Bavetta from speaking on it or addressing it.
    Bu, Bu.... Tim Donaghy!!!

(And yes, some idiots think Tim Donaghy somehow proves that the NBA ISN'T rigged)

why do you think heat been winning titles? definitely not because of the players

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    why do you think heat been winning titles? definitely not because of the players
    I don't think last year was too bad. Though that missed foul call on Ginobli in game 6, you know if that was LeBron he would have gotten the call.

2012 though yeah, thats an asterisk ring no doubt.

edited.

But yes 200 years to the DAY the same scumbag rigging that occurred in 2002 will happen again in a lakers vs kings WCF.
    ex"cavs" fan
    get a life homo