Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default How good of a shooter is Lebron?

From outside 10 feet? Mid range to three? We know his FG% is so great cause he drives and gets tons of shots near the basket, and I would never criticize that cause players gotta be effective the best way they know how, but in this Spurs series they are obviously going to try to keep him out of the paint and "dare" him to shoot. Just how good of a shooter is he?

Well, according to basketball-reference.com, from 10-16 feet each year since 2012, he has shot .477, .311, and .350. From 16 - < 3P, he has shot .333, .434, .422.

So, not bad, but probably not quite as good as Lebron stans would have you believe. If the Spurs can really keep him out of the paint, its gonna be harder for him to average the great numbers he has been.
    Last edited by Connor B; 06-02-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Default Re: How good of a shooter is Lebron?

He'd make Shaq's jumpshot look like Larry Bird's

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

the best of all time he hits 100 percent of his outside shots and misses only in the paint

He's definitely improved a lot in the area, it also helps that teams do play him for the drive, and because of this he gets space to hit those jumpers.

He averaged 27/11/7 the last 2 finals basically without a jumper, so if he hits them consistently I can see him having a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfan
    He's definitely improved a lot in the area, it also helps that teams do play him for the drive, and because of this he gets space to hit those jumpers.

He averaged 27/11/7 the last 2 finals basically without a jumper, so if he hits them consistently I can see him having a great series.

From streaky to good - so far has made 41% of them. Miami's spacing obviously inflates the numbers a little bit, since he gets less contested jump shots and defenders are more focused on stopping him from going inside rather than worrying about him pulling up for a lower % shot. He's not a high-volume jump shooter either, has attempted 934 jump shots in 92 games this season, which averages out to about 10 a game, while let's say Kobe, took 1217 jump shots in 78 games in 2012-13, nearly 16 attempts a game and shot 39% on them, difference being that he took more threes and he forced his shot a lot more (+ higher volume).
    Last edited by ImKobe; 06-02-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Banned

LeBron is streaky, if he is hot, then he hits most of his shots, but its a gamble in the mid-range,

3-point shot he is below average.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Well he didnt have a problem shooting Js in last years finals, if u give him room he can knock them down, I honestly dont think its a good strategy for the Spurs to dare him to shoot like they did last year, as soon as he hits 1 or 2 he is hot for the game, they need to play him/respect him as a shooter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tanner892
    Well he didnt have a problem shooting Js in last years finals, if u give him room he can knock them down, I honestly dont think its a good strategy for the Spurs to dare him to shoot like they did last year, as soon as he hits 1 or 2 he is hot for the game, they need to play him/respect him as a shooter.
    Did you watch the finals? That strategy worked for 5 of 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkMambaGOAT
    Well maybe a lot is a bit of exaggeration, but he has noticeably improved, particularly with the 3-ball aswell.

With cleveland -
    3-10ft: 40%
    10-16ft: 32%
    16>23ft: 38%
    3pt: 33%

With miami -
    3-10ft: 49%
    10-16ft: 44%
    16-23ft: 41.5%
    3pt: 37%

He has benifited from having better teammates and thus more room/space to operate on the perimeter, but he is definitely an improved shooter.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Pretty much what everyone said. Lebron is super streaky but when he's hot it feels like he cant miss. However when cold, its especially frustrating because he decides to pass it instead of trying to shoot his way out of the slump. Then again, everyone is pretty much a streaky shooter. Good shooter? yes. Is it dependable? Not really...

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by GeeWiz
    Did you watch the finals? That strategy worked for 5 of 7 games.
    considering he averaged 25ppg on 45% and 35% 3pt, and lit them up for 37 points in Game 7, no I wouldn't call it a success, I think it works in spurts, but in Game 7 it was clear that he was feeling it and they still played him like he was Shaq from out there, it was actually hard to watch.

Lebron is what I'd call an "average" mid range shooter. Below average from 3. A beast in the paint.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

No disrespect but its the only flaw on his game. He is a streaky shooter and the Spurs should alternate 2-3 zone defense and float, dare him to shoot. If he is hot, you are dead, but you are dead anyway if you defend him closely.

above average jump shooter overall but he's streaky and sometimes it can be anywhere from below average to really good