Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread:

Local High School Star robert_shaww's Avatar

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Debateable.

He's only getting $7 million this season. He took a massive paycut from where he is worth 12-13 million. MG and TD took huge paycuts and now it is paying off for them making the Finals again.
    for me this back to back finals runs in 2013 and 2014 are more impressive than a ring. 37 and 38 years old...they are probably losing against miami, but doesnt matter.

Default Re:

no question

Good college starter

Default Re:

Not even close

James Worthy is not a top 50 player

And Ginobli is not better than him

Though I would love these type of players on my team

Default Re:

No way. Amazing player but he's not even top 100 all time.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    It's a top 50 list of accomplished players. You don't penalize guys for playing in a different era. You rank them on what they did. And there's no way to know how good Mikan would be if he grew up in this era, but I'm guessing it's a bit better than Splitter.
    It's a top 50 list of accomplished players.
    i said that. Its not a 50 best players ever. its the 50 most accomplished players.

And there's no way to know how good Mikan would be if he grew up in this era, but I'm guessing it's a bit better than Splitter.
    you serious bro, watch some clips online of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEoCsDKXPo

Can you at least admit, talent wise he is no where close to top 50 all time?

You don't penalize guys for playing in a different era
    To me that like saying you dont take into account level of competition.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re:

Welll this was the NBAs top 50 list in 96:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Nate Archibald
    Paul Arizin
    Charles Barkley
    Rick Barry
    Elgin Baylor
    Dave Bing
    Larry Bird
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bob Cousy
    Dave Cowens
    Billy Cunningham
    Dave DeBusschere
    Clyde Drexler
    Julius Erving
    Patrick Ewing
    Walt Frazier
    George Gervin
    Hal Greer
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Magic Johnson
    Sam Jones
    Michael Jordan
    Jerry Lucas
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Pete Maravich
    Kevin McHale
    George Mikan
    Earl Monroe
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Robert Parish
    Bob Pettit
    Scottie Pippen
    Willis Reed
    Oscar Robertson
    David Robinson
    Bill Russell
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Nate Thurmond
    Wes Unseld
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    Lenny Wilkens
    James Worthy

Featuring many players ISH in general would rank behind Manu even though they dont know shit about them. Which I will put aside for now....

Lets say there are 20 such players....that list doesnt include:

Duncan
    Kobe
    Lebron
    durant
    Payton
    Wade
    Kidd
    Ray Allen
    Pierce
    Iverson
    Dennis Johnson
    Kg
    Dirk
    Tmac
    David thompson
    Dwight
    Melo
    Mcadoo
    Chris Paul
    Zo
    Tony Parker
    Rodman
    Steve Nash
    Nique
    Reggie
    Webber
    Bernard King

Thats an awful lot of people to pack into not many spots vacated by the pioneers......

Manu is pretty much Sam Jones(less accomplished due to Russell) or Joe Dumars. In that area.

No reason to put him over a gang of guys hed be considered worse than and HAS BEEN considered worse than in the same league.

Forget the historical talents like Thompson, Connie Hawkins, and so on.

There are scores of legends who earned a spot over Manu who barely even get mentioned.

Guys like Paul Westphal who were all NBA first team over a young Magic Johnson but if I make a Manu or Paul topic people who dont even remember him as the suns coach will laugh.

At some point I have to ask...if you are gonna dismiss the past so totally why does an all time ranking even matter?

If the people who came before us dont count of what note is being ranked number ___ all time?

We erased half of time to get you there....

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    if you are gonna dismiss the past so totally why does an all time ranking even matter?

If the people who came before us dont count of what note is being ranked number ___ all time?
    This is a pretty strong point, and is my biggest problem with all-time rankings. The same exact people who go around completely discrediting guys like Bill Russell are the same guys comfortably putting him in their top 3 or 5, trolls excluded. People so desperately want to cling to the notion that 'modern is better'...but when it comes down to ranking them all, they'll throw all the old guys in there to avoid sounding like jackasses. The lack of consistency is pretty frustrating at times.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    'Nique never had a team like the Spurs have had for over a decade. Never played with a big like Duncan. Makes a lot of difference, no?

Also, "Manu fills up the career achievements list?" Meaning what, exactly? Manu is a two-time All-Star, two-time All-NBA 3rd team pick and Sixth Man of the Year. Wilkins was a 9-time All-Star, 4-time All-NBA 2nd team pick, two-time All-NBA 3rd team pick and once made the All-NBA 1st team. Also made the All-Rookie 1st team out of college compared to Manu's All-Rookie 2nd team selection as a older rookie.

Manu has more rings through playing on much, much, MUCH better teams.
    I agree! Nique was a legit superstar who was a top 10 player in the world for his era. Nique was also one of the league's top attractions for things like the All-Star Games, dunk contests, posters, and of course those great VHS NBA Superstar tapes back in the day. Nique also finished 2nd in MVP voting in 86 AHEAD of icons during The Golden Era like Magic, Kareem, Isiah, Moses, etc.