Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Is the FMVP anything more than a glorified Player of the Week Award now?

It might be a little harder since there could be possibly 7 games but the fact that Iggy won it over Curry destroys what the FMVP should stand for.

Default Re: Is the FMVP anything more than a glorified Player of the Week Award now?

Iggy is a shit winner but Kawhi deserved it 100 percent. When healthy he is still a top 5 impact player

Default Re: Is the FMVP anything more than a glorified Player of the Week Award now?

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    It might be a little harder since there could be possibly 7 games but the fact that Iggy won it over Curry destroys what the FMVP should stand for.

curry was not as impressive...his overall stats say otherwise but he was not anything MVP caliber from what we saw in the season. the right guy got the FMVP, as he was the game changer and a huge reason the Warriors are champs today

congrats to Iggy

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Iggy is a shit winner but Kawhi deserved it 100 percent. When healthy he is still a top 5 impact player

Lebron
    AD
    KD
    Westbrook
    PG
    Harden

all have more impact, and I'm sure there's 1-2 more I'm forgetting before we bring Kawhi into this

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    Lebron
    AD
    KD
    Westbrook
    PG
    Harden

all have more impact, and I'm sure there's 1-2 more I'm forgetting before we bring Kawhi into this
    Blake
    CP3
    Maybe Aldridge?
    Then again I might be wrong,
    Kawhi had some nasty AF advanced statistic measures on his side... and he's a DPOY too..

College superstar

What, exactly SHOULD it stand for, if not the most valuable player of the Finals?

But it matters when Lebron gets it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Blake
    CP3
    Maybe Aldridge?
    Then again I might be wrong,
    Kawhi had some nasty AF advanced statistic measures on his side... and he's a DPOY too..

i personally didn't think DPOY should of went to Kawhi because he missed so many games...should of went to Draymond, but is what it is

CP3 is one, yes...LMA i'm iffy on.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    What, exactly SHOULD it stand for, if not the most valuable player of the Finals?
    This is actually a good question, for which I may not have an answer. It seems it used to stand as more of a general "Playoff MVP" where the guy who was likely most responsible for helping his team reach the Finals (and subsequently win) would earn the award, almost by default.

Recently, it seems voters have gotten more literal from the "Finals" standpoint of the award. Makes sense.

That said, if they all were really literal about the "Most Valuable Player" aspect as well, I think LeBron James would have been a shoe-in. Had he not existed on that squad, there would have been close to zero remaining. With him there, they stole two, almost three games, from a 67-win team.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    Lebron
    AD
    KD
    Westbrook
    PG
    Harden

Forgot Curry, for one.

Good High School Starter

That's exactly what iggy winning shows it does not represent. Curry had more impact and better stats than iggy and everyone watching knew he was the best player on the warriors including casuals. However the fact that he played below expectations while iggy exceeded expectations lost him the award, as it is in the case of the player of the week award which lebron or durant would win every single week if this were not the case

This, anything other than the Finals' performance doesn't mattters

Finals MVP.

Finals.

That's pretty much exactly what it is and always has been.

College superstar

I think the league should adopt a "Playoff MVP", rather than a "Finals MVP" but, then again, if we're talking about changes I'd "like" to see, we'd be here all day.

College superstar

That's exactly what iggy winning shows it does not represent. Curry had more impact and better stats than iggy and everyone watching knew he was the best player on the warriors including casuals. However the fact that he played below expectations while iggy exceeded expectations lost him the award, as it is in the case of the player of the week award which lebron or durant would win every single week if this were not the case
    I respectfully disagree.

Curry had a larger impact on the team's offense, and Iggy had a much larger impact on the team's D.

That said, I'm kind of reaching here(in that I don't know the stats and this could backfire) , but I assume that if we looked at "who's guarding Lebron" data from games 1-3, we'd see more Barnes and Green and less Iggy, relative to the rest of the series.

It's no coincidence that Cleveland was up 2-1 with Lebron being primarily guarded by players other than Iggy. If GSW continued to single-cover Lebron with anyone BUT Iggy, I imagine they may have lost.

The switch made in game 4 was masterful, and really opened the door for the better team to beat the far better individual.