Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Steven Adams, a fascinating study

I've been intrigued by this young Kiwi bloke since he got under VC's skin early in the fall.

When drafted he was widely consider too raw and was voted most likely to bust (that is funny in retrospect as everyone also thought Otto Proter was the 'most NBA ready') but this year has been a real revelation, he contributes, works hard, is a producer and seems loved by his teammates.

ALSO, and no I am not burying the lead, he is an enormous cheapshot, such a cheapshot in fact that he is almost a likeable one and is more reminiscent of a hocky antagonizer than a bballer.

He does it perfectly too.

-being the foreign guy gives him carte blanche to act aloof, and allows for the classic defense of 'oh he didn't mean it, he's just too overeager and doesn't understand positioning yet', to seem almost plausible (part of me still believes he might just be clumsy and not a cheapshot). He rarely talks, he always has a look on his face that makes one think he might just have a dusting of Asphergers.

-being the young guy battling for minutes allows people to forgive elbows and reckless play because 'hey, he just really wants to be in the rotation.'

-being an unpolished big lends excuses in the realm of 'naw he ain't a cheapshot, he just doesn't know how to play.'

-being athletic allows people to believe he cannot control his body when he barrels over someone's back.

This guy is either half-retarded or the smartest guy in the league, either way, he really does make the Harden trade much more acceptable because he is contributing HUGE in these playoffs.

I just wish he'd grow his hair back. Also the girlie drink is either A: to antagonize people or B: he really is an out there dude.

Default Re: Steven Adams, a fascinating study

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    (that is funny in retrospect as everyone also thought Otto Proter was the 'most NBA ready')
    Not porter's fault he was hurt and playing behind 2 starting SF's

Adams is nice though. Just what the Thunder need to replace bum-ass perkins

Steven "Dafuq did I do?" Adams

Russell "Smartass Pawn" Westbrook

Serge "Lock that door" Ibaka

Scottie "Must be screwing the owner's daughter or something" Brooks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice

holy fukking shit thats perfect.
    especially Goatbrook and ibka look just like Bodie and Stringer

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

He's the perfect player for this Thunder team going forward.

Presti/Brooks just really screwed up and played Butler/Fisher/Thabo over Lamb the 2nd half of the year for no reason.

I still think Lamb is going to be a great fit for the Thunder, but they screwed him this year.

I've been saying this all year...the Thunder should have made a move to upgrade the sg position for this year and next year...to allow Lamb to play a backup type role and get vital experience.

If the Thunder lose tonight or fail to win the title...Presti needs to flog himself because it will be on him.

You don't run out Thabo/Butler/Fisher playing key minutes at a vital position when trying to win the title unless you absolutely have to.

So many teams would have sent a real sg for Thabo's expiring contract, Perry Jones, Roberson, and the 21st pick.

Could have gotten Afflalo. Could have gotten Shumpert.

Shit...this team would be so much better with a guy like Jodie Meeks...and the Thunder could have gotten him without giving up much at all.

Presti just ****ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice

how did you not post durant=Avon? They look the same and the guy that played avon was tupac's bball ringer in Above the Rim

Last edited by ralph_i_el; 05-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.

The wire references

Prior to his draft, Scal worked out with him and a bunch of other draftees that weren't high lottery guys for the Celtics. He went on Toucher & Rich, one of Boston's morning sports talk shows, and had the highest praise for Adams out of all the guys he worked with.

NBA All-star

Sam Presti is a smart guy.

without knowing the owners situation on payroll etc.

he needs to be aware of the flaws of developing young players and relying on rookie contract. Also the danger of not creating cap space to sign a marquee free agent before they enter their prime.

Think about the Cavs, essentially they had young players, but then they were also only able to sign declining stars to fill up the holes on their roster.

It's proved that you can be contesting for the finals and win your conference when you have a superstar. But as for winning the ring. It might just be a different story.

Remember, the Spurs picked up two all star player with late draft picks during the prime of their super star. Which allowed them to have cap space and maintain all players.

Of course there's possibility that this could happen for the Thunders. Only Duncan had won with DRob prior to the arrival of Manu/Parker already. That has yet to happen for Durant.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax

NBA Superstar

His per 36 numbers in the playoffs are very good for a 20 year old big man.

8 points per game, 8 rebounds per game, shooting 70%, plus getting 3 blocks per game.

The best part is there are really no holes in his game so as he keeps growing and getting better he's going to be a complete overall player.

Just this season he's shown flashes of and the ability to be:

An elite rim protector
    A solid low post player
    A great passing big
    A great help defender
    A great low post defender
    A center capable of guarding wing players if switched onto them
    A great rebounder, offensive and defensive
    A great finisher at the rim
    A center capable of hitting elbow jumpers

The list goes on and on. Presti hits on another pick.

This guy is basically the prototype build for a center too (7'0, 255, 7'5 wingspan) so there is no reason to believe that he won't keep improving.
    Last edited by russwest0; 05-31-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    how did you not post durant=Avon? They look the same and the guy that played avon was tupac's bball ringer in Above the Rim

0:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkurQfolUc

Very good NBA starter

at The Wire comparisons. Russell as Bodie

I'm fascinated by that mongoloid slanted forehead he's got. What the hell kind of inbreeding are those kiwi's doing down there to result in such large, ugly man?