Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Popovich will look extremely overrated as a coach if the Spurs lose this series

Always thought he was overrated

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

Default Re: Popovich will look extremely overrated as a coach if the Spurs lose this series

Some real idiots on here...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    If the spurs lose this series it's because the thunder beat them with their length and athleticism, not because of pop.
    Exactly

Just means ibaka is a difference maker.

Lettuce be real. Popovich is one of the worst coach of all time.
    Trying to do a substitution against the rules in an NBA finals.
    6 man on the court bullshit.
    Subbing out Tim duncan that cost them the game in game 6 nba finals.
    Calling out timeouts when their team in on the run to sub out hot players.

NBA All-star

by who, Vegas?

I have yet to seen anyone made the statement that another coach could take this team to the WCF or the Finals.

Kind of weird how coaches/teams get criticized more for going deep in the playoffs and loosing, than just loosing. Pop can take a team to 50+ wins for like the 15th time, and make it all the way to the finals, but if he looses, it's a "collapse". People love those words and titles. However any other team loosing in say the 2nd round is just that, loosing in the 2nd round. In ISH, your reputation is better protected if you loose a series in six games to a better team in the 2nd round, then if you get swept by a better team in the Finals. That would be a "collapse". Nevermind if you're overachieving with a team with an old core and no superstar. Crazy how Allen's one shot basically changes the course of how history will be remembered. If he missed, we're talking about GOAT coach, Duncan top 5 and Lebron is 1-3 biggest finals choker ever blah blah blah. But since he made it, Pop is overrated and whatever. It's almost as if people don't actually watch the games, hmmm....
    Last edited by JustinJDW; 05-28-2014 at 06:39 AM.

This guy is one of the greatest coaches of all time. People have really short memories on this board... Seriously this guy is a legend, his team is competitive every year with much worse rosters than other teams. It's amazing how many rubbish role players come to the spurs and start playing well. Talent wise the Thunder >>> Spurs.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

this is a troll thread, no need to reply

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Pop was not himself today.

I know he likes to ride the bench, but it wasn't that. He gave up on the game way too early.
    He didn't give up, his players gave up. There was no reason to insist on players who in every offence tried to dribble past everyone and score in front of Ibaka. The spurs bench played much better and actually fouled in the defence, they didn't wait for a fast brea to end up as a shooting attempt to foul then.

The only thing I'd change was get Ginobili in for the last 3-4 minutes as the spurs needed a big shot or two (and they did get many open looks, they just didn't have the player to make them count).

Most coaches would just stick with their starters, no matter what day they were in, no matter how tired they got. If he did that, then it was a blowout.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    If the spurs lose this series it's because the thunder beat them with their length and athleticism, not because of pop.
    The thunder beat them cause they were downright violent in defence. Every steal, every block, every loose ball.
    Ibaka's heroics inspire the whole team and Spurs need the same mindset if they're going to win.

Saw a basketball once

Pop does not get a pass simply because he is a great coach. Last year he took Tony Parker out of 2 games against the Heat for no reason and both times it contributed to the Spurs losing. Last night his team was down 12 points with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter and he did not give his starters a shot to redeem themselves. This is the last hurrah. When are they expected to dig deep and gut it out if not now? Awful decision making to not go back to them. No trust, no respect. How will they respond to not getting a chance to finish the game? Is this supposed to motivate them to come out swingin swords like Shinobi, stomping grounds and pounding footprints in solid rock? Will the Spurs have it locked, performing live in San Antonio on your hottest block?

Lol at all of us nobodys criticizing the decision making of one of the greatest coaches in sports history.

The way the Spurs were playing, the Thunder/Westbrook were playing, and the way the refs call in OKC, I think he realized the chances of winning were not worth the downside of exhausting his old stars. The series is now best of 3 with 2 games in SA, and neither team has shown that they're capable of winning on the road.

Also, you can't pin game 6 on Pop. He had guys out there to defend the three and the ball simply bounced the Heat's way and to the right person. Had Ray missed or had the Spurs hit one more free throw down the stretch, they win. Yet because of those two factors, Pop goes from potential GOAT to super overrated? Based on the bounce of a ball? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by AT9
    Lol at all of us nobodys criticizing the decision making of one of the greatest coaches in sports history.

The way the Spurs were playing, the Thunder/Westbrook were playing, and the way the refs call in OKC, I think he realized the chances of winning were not worth the downside of exhausting his old stars. The series is now best of 3 with 2 games in SA, and neither team has shown that they're capable of winning on the road.

Also, you can't pin game 6 on Pop. He had guys out there to defend the three and the ball simply bounced the Heat's way and to the right person. Had Ray missed or had the Spurs hit one more free throw down the stretch, they win. Yet because of those two factors, Pop goes from potential GOAT to super overrated? Based on the bounce of a ball? Give me a break.

Very good post.

You spurs fans have a lot of good posters, I rarely see a troll or idiot amongst you

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by AT9

I don't buy the "exhausting" the players theory. These guys are professionals that won 50+ games and had the best record in the West. Whats 3 minutes to see if they can change the tide of the game? If you are willing to really think that these guys can't play 3 more minutes because they MIGHT be winded for another game in 2 days then I don't know what else to talk about. Also, this is the same coach that took out Tony Parker last year against the Heat in the Finals for absolutely no reason.

Its not about trusting in Pop.We all know he is a good coach. This is about looking at the facts of the situation and coming to the conclusion that he screwed up, much like he screwed up last year. All the excuses in the world don't change the fact that the game was well within reach with 11 minutes to go against a team that we know panics and gives up leads quickly. 12 point lead! Spurs bench closed the gap quickly, now put your starters in to finish the job. I have never seen anything like what Pop did in a WCF game. He gave up with an entire quarter to go and the Thunder only having a 12 point lead. That is just inexcusable, regardless of who you are.

edit: And if you think he is above reproach because he is a great coach then that is exactly why he should be highly criticized for his actions. No one is bigger than the game. No coach, no player. And don't think you or anyone else is too small to question his actions.
    Last edited by NotBillWalton; 05-28-2014 at 09:05 AM.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotBillWalton
    I don't buy the "exhausting" the players theory. These guys are professionals that won 50+ games and had the best record in the West. Whats 3 minutes to see if they can change the tide of the game? If you are willing to really think that these guys can't play 3 more minutes because they MIGHT be winded for another game in 2 days then I don't know what else to talk about. Also, this is the same coach that took out Tony Parker last year against the Heat in the Finals for absolutely no reason. Its not about trusting in Pop.We all know he is a good coach. This is about looking at the facts of the situation and coming to the conclusion that he screwed up, much like he screwed up last year. All the excuses in the world don't change the fact that the game was well within reach with 11 minutes to go against a team that we know panics and gives up leads quickly. 12 point lead! Spurs bench closed the gap quickly, now put your starters in to finish the job. I have never seen anything like what Pop did in a WCF game. He gave up with an entire quarter to go and the Thunder only having a 12 point lead. That is just inexcusable, regardless of who you are.

edit: And if you think he is above reproach because he is a great coach then that is exactly why he should be highly criticized for his actions. No one is bigger than the game. No coach, no player. And don't think you or anyone else is too small to question his actions.
    Tony wasnt fully healthy