Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Name your top 10 SG's of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Wade played against the 2nd greatest shooting guard ever in Kobe, and a perennial MVP contender in Lebron. He's also one Lebron chokefest away from having 4 rings and being undefeated in the finals. Excuse me for not putting too much stock in the "advantages" you posted for West.

2009 Wade > any version of West

Wade's best season was 30/8/5 and that was his only season over 27.7 PPG. West had seasons of 31/8/5, 31/6/5, 31/7/6, and 31/8/5. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Wade's best season was 30/8/5 and that was his only season over 27.7 PPG. West had seasons of 31/8/5, 31/6/5, 31/7/6, and 31/8/5. Try again.
    6'5 Elgin Baylor 20 RPG INFLATED STATS

Wade has only been to 4 Finals and of the 3 he did win, he was a sidekick in 2 of them. You don't get to conveniently punish a guy for playing in another era. You still have not successfully refuted the stats I posted that clearly put West over Wade. If Wade was so great, why does he have only 2 All-NBA 1st teams? Why has he never made an All-Defensive 1st team? Why has he never been so much as a runner up(never mind actually winning) for MVP?
    Jerry West was a sidekick for his one and ONLY ring. Wade didn't get too many All-NBA First selections, because he had to beat Kobe. You know, the guy who's the ins greatest SG of all time. Same with All-Defensive First Teams. Dude was genuinely robbed of of 2 All-D first teams ('09 and '10). In a league without Kobe, Wade would've made the All-NBA first teams in '05, '06, '07, '09, '10, '11, and '12. Anyways, if Wade wins a ring this year averaging 20/5/5, he's over West without a doubt. Until then, I have West at #3.

Also, AI over Wade? That's just retarded. AI has literally NO case over Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    The league was much less popular and there was much less money to be made so naturally there was a far smaller talent pool. And the talent level of the league back then clearly wasn't near today's level

I mean he played in a league with 8-14 teams for many years so there's a much easier chance to get on all NBA teams then playing in a league with 30 teams.

Still haven't refuted anything I've said. And you have the balls to point to popularity and money.

How would LeBron be perceived today if he were 1 for 9 in the finals? He'd never hear the end up it and it'd damage his legacy. Him going 2 for 4 damaged his legacy. No free passes.
    First of all, I don't care how he'd be perceived by others. I don't care about others' criteria. How I'd view him depends on how he'd perform. How was LeBron perceived when he lost to Orlando in 2009, after averaging like 39/8/8? I, for one, was impressed and never held it against him. Same with West. There are clutch teams and clutch players. The 60's Lakers may not have been the clutchest team, but West definitely was up there.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Why are people blaming one player for takin away wades all d teams

There are 2 guard spots

Still haven't refuted anything I've said. And you have the balls to point to popularity and money.
    Yeah I did. Around 12 players on each team. We'll average out about 12 or so teams in the league for West's career. 144 players in the league, divide that by 5. So about 28.8 SGs in the league compared to 360 players in the league for Wade so 72 SGs in the league. Much less competition so much more of a chance to get on All NBA teams.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Jerry West was a sidekick for his one and ONLY ring. Wade didn't get too many All-NBA First selections, because he had to beat Kobe. You know, the guy who's the ins greatest SG of all time. Same with All-Defensive First Teams. Dude was genuinely robbed of of 2 All-D first teams ('09 and '10). In a league without Kobe, Wade would've made the All-NBA first teams in '05, '06, '07, '09, '10, '11, and '12. Anyways, if Wade wins a ring this year averaging 20/5/5, he's over West without a doubt. Until then, I have West at #3.

Also, AI over Wade? That's just retarded. AI has literally NO case over Wade.

More excuses to knock West and prop up Wade. All stats I provided show West > Wade. Numbers, accolades all favor West.

As for Iverson, he won an MVP, took an offensively challenged team to the Finals, won 4 scoring titles, and has more All-NBA 1st team appearances. You can argue you'd be better off building your team around Wade, but the better and more dominant player is still Iverson. Just like you'd still rank Iverson over Kidd, even though Kidd is the smarter option to build around.

More excuses to knock West and prop up Wade. All stats I provided show West > Wade. Numbers, accolades all favor West.

As for Iverson, he won an MVP, took an offensively challenged team to the Finals, won 4 scoring titles, and has more All-NBA 1st team appearances. You can argue you'd be better off building your team around Wade, but the better and more dominant player is still Iverson. Just like you'd still rank Iverson over Kidd, even though Kidd is the smarter option to build around.
    Stats are barely better than Wade's in an inflated statistical era. Wade's stats >>>>>>>>>> West's.

Yeah I did. Around 12 players on each team. We'll average out about 12 or so teams in the league for West's career. 144 players in the league, divide that by 5. So about 28.8 SGs in the league compared to 360 players in the league for Wade so 72 SGs in the league. Much less competition so much more of a chance to get on All NBA teams.

Fewer players means the few who do play are of much higher quality. You can think you've successfully refuted anything I've said, but you clearly have not. All numbers and accolades favor West. The only SGs better than West are Jordan and Kobe.

Fewer players means the few who do play are of much higher quality. You can think you've successfully refuted anything I've said, but you clearly have not. All numbers and accolades favor West. The only SGs better than West are Jordan and Kobe.
    Fewer =/= better.

That's why I said West can still be ranked higher than Wade. Also, you conveniently forgot that West was a role player for the ONLY ring he won.

The MVP he stole from Shaq? Yeah, ok.

More All-NBA First teams? By one. Wade has 3 All-NBA Third teams. AI has one. Wade is an 8x All-NBA team member. AI? 1. Wade has 3 rings. AI? 0. Wade has 3 All-Defensive teams. AI? 0. Wade has 1 FMVP. AI? 0. Wade just posted the highest FG% for a guard in the past 30 odd years. AI's career high is 46%.

'Cause Bob Couse and Hal Greer are better than Kobe, T-Mac, etc. right?
    Last edited by aj1987; 05-22-2014 at 08:17 PM.

"Try again"

You're delusional if you think West would put up those kinds of seasons during Wade's time. And even more delusional if you think prime Wade wouldn't shit on the league in the 60s.

Prime Shaq would average his usual 25-30ppg, 10-12 rpg in the 60s, right?

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Is this aj guy really going to call Jerry West a "role player" during the playoff run where he averaged 23/5/9 and then prop up wade for his rings in the very next sentence

Stats are barely better than Wade's in an inflated statistical era. Wade's stats >>>>>>>>>> West's.

Average shooting percentage in the league in the 60s and early 70s was around 43-44%. West was consistently in the high 40s. Average shooting percentage in the league in the mid-late 2000s was 45-46% and Wade was shooting similar percentages to West.

Average defensive rating when West played was in the mid 90s. Average defensive rating when Wade played was over 105. Yet with tougher defense, West scored more at a more consistent rate.