Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Is it really Duncan or was it Pop all along?

It was Duncan and Pop. But mostly Duncan.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Duncan's longevity is extremely overrated.

He constantly gets to rest & save himself for the playoffs due to playing on a stacked team..

The last time Duncan played more than 35 mpg he was 29..

For comparison Hakeem was still playing over 35mpg at the age of 36..

Duncan has 7 seasons of playing 35+ mpg, Kobe has 14 seasons of playing 35+ mpg. And then when you factor in that Kobe has had multiple 3peat runs to the finals on top of that while Duncan hasn't ever made b2b finals you begin to see why Duncan's longevity isn't that impressive.
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 05-22-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen

He's constantly gets to rest & save himself for the playoffs due to playing on a stacked team..

Duncan has 7 seasons of playing 35+ mpg, Kobe has 14 seasons of playing 35+ mpg. And then when you factor in that Kobe has has multiple 3peat runs to the finals while Duncan hasn't ever made b2b finals you begin to see why Duncan's longevity isn't that impressive.
    Shaq didn't play 35+ minutes in any of his last 9 seasons. Kareem in his last 7. Stockton in his last 6.

Kobe couldn't handle playing 33 MPG, because he needs to go out and get his.

You don't seem to understand how selfish the man is as a basketball player. Some people love and admire it, but to deny it is insane.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen

He's constantly gets to rest & save himself for the playoffs due to playing on a stacked team..

Duncan has 7 seasons of playing 35+ mpg, Kobe has 14 seasons of playing 35+ mpg. And then when you factor in that Kobe has has multiple 3peat runs to the finals while Duncan hasn't ever made b2b finals you begin to see why Duncan's longevity isn't that impressive.
    Hakeem played 49971 combined regular season/playoff minutes.

Shaq has 50016 combined minutes.

Duncan has played 52219 combined regular season/playoff minutes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Duncan>>>>>Kobe
    Why bring kobe into this? You insecure? Go back and keep flipping burgers you cvnt

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Shaq didn't play 35+ minutes in any of his last 9 seasons. Kareem in his last 7. Stockton in his last 6.

You don't seem to understand how selfish the man is as a basketball player.
    Some people love and admire it, but to deny it is insane.
    typical rapist mentality

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

both, pop's evolution as a coach cementing himself as the goat

-smak

It's Duncan of course.Great players make great coaches. Spurs haven't won a title since 07 and should won one last year if it wasn't for Pop. He outcoach himself.

@ not playing with no superstar dude came into the NBA playing with a MVP and won 2 titles with that player. And had all-star quality teammates during title runs.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

You don't seem to understand how selfish the man is as a basketball player. Some people love and admire it, but to deny it is insane.
    You are mistaken.

The lakers couldn't handle Kobe playing 33 mpg because it would equal failure for the lakers.

Do you really believe The lakers make 3 straight finals with Kobe playing anything less than 40+ mpg like he did in those playoffs?

Kobe did that while going to 3 straight finals as the man, something Duncan could only dream of, Duncan has benefitted from playing on stacked teams for 6-7 years now and is able to make the finals playing 35mpg in the playoffs..

Kobe had 3 straight finals trips while playing 40 mpg as a 30 year old.

14 seasons of 35+ mpg compared to 7 seasons of 35+ mpg..

Kobe was playing 43 mpg and 44mpg during 01 & 02. 2/3 years of the 3peat Kobe is averaging more minutes than Duncan ever has in the playoffs, and this was while coming off b2b & b2b2b finals runs.

Duncan, 6 playoff runs of 40 mpg (98-04)

Kobe, 10 playoff runs of 40mpg (01-10,12)

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    It's Duncan of course.Great players make great coaches. Spurs haven't won a title since 07 and should won one last year if it wasn't for Pop. He outcoach himself.

@ not playing with no superstar dude came into the NBA playing with a MVP and won 2 titles with that player. And had all-star quality teammates during title runs.
    David Robinson '97-'03 resume: 14 / 10 / 2 / 1 / 2 / .466 FG%, two titles.

Is that a HoF resume?

You clearly don't get my point. The**** does it matter if Robinson was a superstar? He wasn't when Duncan got there. If we're saying Duncan got to play with a superstar, should we also say James got to play with one in Cleveland (Shaq?)

I admit he had great all-stars. When did I say otherwise? My post specifically used the word superstar.

God damn the simplest of concepts.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

The combination of Pop and Duncan have established a consistency of teamwork, maturity, professionalism and excellence for the Spurs and that's where the success stems from. They both come from the same mentality and they compliment each other as player/coach. All the other players feed off it. Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he has a player that perfectly carries his philosophy onto the court and instills it in his teammates. That's why no matter who they are, when they walk onto the spurs they become a cog in the system that allows them to expose their strengths and lessen their flaws. That's why even when Duncan's not playing a lot of minutes or is out for a few games, they don't miss a beat. That's an immeasurable facet of Duncan's resume and one of the things that makes him one of the best to ever play. Leadership. Poise. No statistical value whatsoever, but the difference between winning and losing. The kind of consistency in leadership the Spurs have had with Pop/Duncan is rare.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Didn't read, Duncan > Kobe.

There is so much Duncan talk on this forum now its crazy! Look at what you started robert_shaww.

NBA All-star

What can't Duncan do for you at the PF position?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YTI_fbwEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnAvhvfniw

I once suspected that star powers and super star matters in the playoff.

I don't intend to change my suspicion

David Robinson '97-'03 resume: 14 / 10 / 2 / 1 / 2 / .466 FG%, two titles.

Is that a HoF resume?

You clearly don't get my point. The**** does it matter if Robinson was a superstar? He wasn't when Duncan got there. If we're saying Duncan got to play with a superstar, should we also say James got to play with one in Cleveland (Shaq?)

I admit he had great all-stars. When did I say otherwise? My post specifically used the word superstar.

God damn the simplest of concepts.

But Robinson was still a starter and making all-star and all-nba teams when Duncan first came

98' all-nba second team,all-star,all-defense 2nd team
    99' would made the all-star team if they had one
    2000' all-star,all-nba third team
    2001' all-star,all-nba third team

02 and 03 still was the team second leading rebounder and second in block shots. While being a starter on the squad. Robinson was more of a defensive role during these years with the Spurs.

2003 Finals gave the Spurs 11 and 7 on 61% shooting. Still gave the team 2 blocks a game along with Duncan a frontline average 7 blacks a game in a NBA Finals the close out game to go along with Duncan 21/20/10 game gave him 13/17 on 75% shooting. Hell together they out rebounded the whole Nets team all together.

The fact remain Robinson was still valuable to the Spurs and help Duncan win 2 championships.