Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Default How is it that Wade NEVER developed a catch and shoot game?

11 seasons in, and he never even ATTEMPTS to just catch the ball and shoot. It can be one second left on the clock and he will attempt to dribble or pumpfake or jab, it's mystifying to me.

People think Wade's developed his off ball and post game over the last couple years, truth is Wade had a very polished post game coming out of Marquette.

He's had that little half hook/push shot for EoNS. He's always had great timing and instincts for making cuts off the ball also.

Wade's hasnt really ADDED any thing new to his game since he's come in the league, he's continued to hone his post game etc. but neither his FT shooting, 3 ball or spot up shot has improved at all. In fact he's regressed in those facets, it has limited how great he could have been.

Wade with a lethal catch and shoot game is easily top ten all time, with a couple MVP's and a longer prime/peak. I just dont get how no one ever talks about this?

Coaches should have been insistent on him developing this part of his game.

Default Re: How is it that Wade NEVER developed a catch and shoot game?

If Wade developed a catch and shoot or a semi-reliable 3, damn.

Do you watch the Heat? Wade's curl catch and shoot is fine. In fact Wade's midrange is fine. Only thing he cant shoot are threes and free throws.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He'd rather pumpfake and bait for FTs than shoot a jumper.

Decent playground baller MC Gusto's Avatar

There has been no need for it considering that he's been ball dominant for the majority of his career. It would greatly benefit him now at this stage of his career, but he hasn't really needed catch and shoot ability in the past.

Just not his game.

It's because of his beta mentality. Every time he goes up for a jumper he feels the pressure: "Oh no, if I miss this I will never be as good as Kobe." Then he chokes up and misses. Thus, he has been conditioned to only take shots he knows he can make, or shots he will be fouled while taking.

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Do you watch the Heat? Wade's curl catch and shoot is fine. In fact Wade's midrange is fine. Only thing he cant shoot are threes and free throws.
    Do you have any education?

It's clear I was specifically talking about spot up, STANDSTILL shooting, any body with a smidgen of deductive ability would know that. Shots off a curl are predicated off rhythm, right up Wade's alley.

he cant shoot threes and frees because they are standstill shots (high % 3's are always spot ups, notwithstanding outlierslike Steph Curry), smarten up Nas.

NBA sixth man of the year

He's relied on driving to lane and his athletic ability.......Guess he never really took the time to develop.......This is something I give Kobe and even Lebron credit for.......Lebron has already improved his jumper to where its better than Wade's and has been for at least a few years now.......

NBA rookie of the year

Always been more comfortable with a live rhythm dribble. Not every one is Ray Allen.

His game is 100% off the dribble. I've been watching him for years and I've almost never seen him catch and shoot or shoot a 3 off of a triple threat, he has 0 triple threat game. If you look at other perimeter scorers like MJ, Kobe, Bron, and T-Mac they all had some semblance of a catch and shoot or triple threat game, but Wade is 100% off the live dribble for whatever reason. Same thing with Tony Parker.

He's simply not a good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    His game is 100% off the dribble. I've been watching him for years and I've almost never seen him catch and shoot or shoot a 3 off of a triple threat, he has 0 triple threat game. If you look at other perimeter scorers like MJ, Kobe, Bron, and T-Mac they all had some semblance of a catch and shoot or triple threat game, but Wade is 100% off the live dribble for whatever reason. Same thing with Tony Parker.
    Agreed. He needs to rhythm dribble to get comfortable attacking. Same goes for Westbrook too.

But in all honesty, not even Kobe has a great off the ball game attacking the defense for catch, and shoot opportunities. Bron isn't great at it either. In terms of being able to catch and shoot since Jordan?

1) Ray Allen
    2) KD
    3) Dirk
    4) Melo
    5) Kobe
    6) T-Mac
    7) Pierce
    8) LeBron

Wade, Westbrook, Tony Parker

It's a simple thing that if you master it can be deadly to opposing teams. There is no need to waste energy attacking the rim, putting your body at risk. And it destroys zones, and defenses that can consistently double team you if you're always going off the dribble. Catch and shoot in combo with a creating off the dribble offensive game makes you UNGUARDABLE in any situation.

Is that the most popular catch and shoot players or something? Because there are definitely better catch and shoot players than you just listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Is that the most popular catch and shoot players or something? Because there are definitely better catch and shoot players than you just listed.
    Strictly in terms of players who were at one point superstar perimeter based scorers. I actually forgot to put Iverson. He was great off the ball, and could catch/shoot at an elite level for a period of time. Not as ball dominant as people think. You can tell who can actually catch / shoot when they struggle with pseudo zone defenses in the league, and REALLY struggle to score in FIBA ball with legit zone defenses. The ability to move without the ball, catch / shoot destroys in international competition.