Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: tim duncan has been a role player on offense for the last 7 years

in before robert_shaww shits on tim duncan.

Local High School Star

Even this year Duncan finished 12th in MVP voting

Role player?

Allow me translate for OP: If I discredit Duncan and the Spurs, it discredits LeBron, so I can make Kobe look better.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Kobe Stan Logic: Duncan = Role Player, Bosh = Superstar

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Dude dropped 25 in the first half of G6.

BTW is Oden out for the playoffs? I guess he's not needed, but he'd be useful against Nene/Duncan/Hibbert.
    I think just resting him. But he would definitely come in handy vs. Indy or Washington. And SA if they make it to the Finals. Don't expect anything special, but 6 well used fouls. Than again, they may be asking him a lot to be on the court that long

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I think just resting him. But he would definitely come in handy vs. Indy or Washington. And SA if they make it to the Finals. Don't expect anything special, but 6 well used fouls. Than again, they may be asking him a lot to be on the court that long
    lol true.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I have no horse in this debate. Could really care less. But calling TD a role player is beyond dumb. He put the team on his back. Parker was quiet for long chunks of time and Ginobili was playing awful basketball.

He had a good finals but blew it when he missed the wide open layup. Asside from that I didnt see much. And there was arguably 2 guys who outperformed him in the spurs 3 wins in the finaks. Green and parker were in line for finals mvp.

And the reason I said "offensively hes a role player" is so people couldnt jump in the defensive excuse like fpliii is trying

Yea defensively hes still solid cause the position is trash. He can body up with all those undersized guys in the nba that only touch the ball 5 times a game. If duncan had to play all 82 games against guys who average 25 a game things might be different

I think the games speak for themselves. I say for the last 7 years. Then people only judge duncan based on 7 cherry picked games

Whatever ... I say hes a role player offensively. Hes the 3rd most important player offensively and hes putting up average role player scoring numbers.. rebounds and defense are another discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    He had a good finals but blew it when he missed the wide open layup. Asside from that I didnt see much. And there was arguably 2 guys who outperformed him in the spurs 3 wins in the finaks. Green and parker were in line for finals mvp.

And the reason I said "offensively hes a role player" is so people couldnt jump in the defensive excuse like fpliii is trying

Yea defensively hes still solid cause the position is trash. He can body up with all those undersized guys in the nba that only touch the ball 5 times a game. If duncan had to play all 82 games against guys who average 25 a game things might be different

I think the games speak for themselves. I say for the last 7 years. Then people only judge duncan based on 7 cherry picked games

Whatever ... I say hes a role player offensively. Hes the 3rd most important player offensively and hes putting up average role player scoring numbers.. rebounds and defense are another discussion
    Dude, I know you said offense in the title but in the OP, you mentioned:
    Ever since 2008 (since tony parkers finals run ) tim duncan has been a 15-17ppg role player.. on offense hes resembled the output of maybe a 1998 6th man kobe bryant

If kobe was on a stacked team averaging 15 points with 2 other guys running the offense 90% of the time. I wouldnt put much weight into his ring if he were to win one

People need to stop talking about duncans legacy. Its already set in stone. There isnt anything he can do to climb any higher.

Top 6.7.8 at best.. top 7.8.9 at worst.. around kobe and shaq. All ranked differently by those who love or hate someone more than someone else

He could retire tomorrow and this team would still be amazing. If they win it this year and he retired. I doubt it would be hard to find another top 40 player in the nba to step in for them
    How does that make any sense? Plenty of offense-only role players have moved up with late-career accomplishments. I don't get what you're going for dude.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Kobe Stan Logic: Duncan = Role Player, Bosh = Superstar

Local High School Star robert_shaww's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmode88
    in before robert_shaww shits on tim duncan.
    IM JUST SAYING THE TRUTH..

Duncan is around 15

Complete Player

Roleplayer, star, whatever. Duncan doesn't have the "me-me-me" complex. The Spurs team as a whole is great and their youngsters develop because Duncan isn't some aging star blowing up chemistry and chucking his team out of games trying to pathetically hold on to past glory.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Dude, I know you said offense in the title but in the OP, you mentioned:

How does that make any sense? Plenty of offense-only role players have moved up with late-career accomplishments. I don't get what you're going for dude.

Ya role players who win role player rings can rank up over other role players. But a legendary player already top 10 isnt getting much prestige. Not nearly enough to 1 up anybody left in his path.

And being good defensively as a center when there arent any centers leading teams to titles offensively for him to matchup with. It makes things a big simpler

I'd say tony parker is by far the most important guy on the spurs. Then manu is arguably 2nd.

The spurs are not a 3 headed monster like they once were. Its a full team rotation and this team winning it all would be like the pistons in 2004.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Ya role players who win role player rings can rank up over other role players. But a legendary player already top 10 isnt getting much prestige. Not nearly enough to 1 up anybody left in his path.

And being good defensively as a center when there arent any centers leading teams to titles offensively for him to matchup with. It makes things a big simpler

I'd say tony parker is by far the most important guy on the spurs. Then manu is arguably 2nd.

The spurs are not a 3 headed monster like they once were. Its a full team rotation and this team winning it all would be like the pistons in 2004.
    As long as you only count Kobe with 4 rings...then I think everyone would be cool with it.

Because current Duncan is a better player than 00 Kobe overall...and no way could the Spurs win a title with Duncan playing like Kobe did in the 00 finals.

So do you admit Kobe should only be credited with 4 titles and that 00 means nothing?

Oh...and just for fun;

13 Duncan in finals - 19/12/1 55% TS 112 ortg 104 drtg

00 Kobe in finals - 16/5/4 41% TS 96 ortg 116 drtg

Kobe wins and Duncan loses....ROFL
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-09-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Local High School Star

glad everyone can see the light, without manu taking a shit on the court timmy would have been holding a finals and fmvp above his head at 37

Never disrespect the legend.