Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kobe's MVP

Default Re: Kobe's MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    KG probably was the best player that season, but he missed 11 games, bringing others into the conversation. I have no problem with Kobe winning that year.

Yeah lol honestly me neither... It was between Kobe/Paul/LeBron/Garnett, in that Order for me... Kobe carried the Lakers already before the Gasol trade. IMO perhaps Kobe's best season. Also, CP3 was damn close, finishing just one game below the Lakers with that cast..

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Yeah lol honestly me neither... It was between Kobe/Paul/LeBron/Garnett, in that Order for me... Kobe carried the Lakers already before the Gasol trade. IMO perhaps Kobe's best season. Also, CP3 was damn close, finishing just one game below the Lakers with that cast..
    I'd still give it to KG probably, but I like bigs in general.

I'm not a huge fan of LeBron's, though I do respect his game. That being said, I'm not very high on him pre-08-09 (since then he's been the best player in the game obviously, by a substantial margin), before he became a legitimate defensive force. Kobe is an overrated defender (though in his prime he was definitely a great guy if you need a stop one-on-one), but I think since Kobe had the midrange/post game down at that point, you have to give him the edge purely on offense.

My issue with CP3 is that I don't like PGs in general. Among PGs, I think he's tremendous (and he's one of my favorite players, I'm a borderline stan of his), but his size limits his defensive impact. I think in order to be in the MVP conversation, you need to be able to guard multiple wing positions as a PG, unless the competition is super weak, or you have GOAT-level offensive impact (Oscar/Magic/Nash). Maybe CP3 does give you that much, maybe not.

I think that season, I'd go:

KG
    Kobe
    Duncan
    CP3/LeBron

HM: Nash/Dirk

I'm not a huge fan of LeBron's, though I do respect his game. That being said, I'm not very high on him pre-08-09 (since then he's been the best player in the game obviously, by a substantial margin), before he became a legitimate defensive force. Kobe is an overrated defender (though in his prime he was definitely a great guy if you need a stop one-on-one), but I think since Kobe had the midrange/post game down at that point, you have to give him the edge purely on offense.

My issue with CP3 is that I don't like PGs in general. Among PGs, I think he's tremendous (and he's one of my favorite players, I'm a borderline stan of his), but his size limits his defensive impact. I think in order to be in the MVP conversation, you need to be able to guard multiple wing positions as a PG, unless the competition is super weak, or you have GOAT-level offensive impact (Oscar/Magic/Nash). Maybe CP3 does give you that much, maybe not.

KG
    Kobe
    Duncan
    CP3/LeBron

Duncan over CP in 08

MVP came down to the last game b/w kobe and CP and Kobe outplayed him. He deserved it but it was a tossup

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Duncan over CP in 08

MVP came down to the last game b/w kobe and CP and Kobe outplayed him. He deserved it but it was a tossup
    lol believe me, I wouldn't complain if CP3 won.

His MVP was perfectly justifiable that year.

You could make a good case for both Paul and Garnett, whose transformational impact on the Celtics was visible already in the regular season (and ultimately resulted in a championship)... but Kobe did average 28 6 an 5 on 46% shooting for a team that won 57 games, and generally had one of the best seasons of his career. Acting like the award was some kind of travesty is strange - I'm fairly certain that it would be far less controversial if a player not named Kobe with the same stats and level of play had won it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

Leading his team to the 1st place in Conference, Lakers were already on top or close to the 1st seed even before the Pau trade, Kobe's numbers were the same with Pau as they were without

28/6/5/2 on 58%TS on a 1st seed is an earned MVP. Especially when you look at that Lakers roster. Pau for less than 30 games, Bynum only played 30 something games, Kwame was garbage prior to the trade, Walton & Radmanovic often started...we had no bench to speak of. 2008 Lakers had ZERO all-stars outside of Kobe and they won 57 games and were the 3rd best offense and 3rd best defense. Kobe had a remarkable season.

KG
    Kobe
    Duncan
    CP3/LeBron

Yeah I've seen you post, you're very high on the "Bigs > Smalls"

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    His MVP was perfectly justifiable that year.

You could make a good case for both Paul and Garnett, whose transformational impact on the Celtics was visible already in the regular season (and ultimately resulted in a championship)... but Kobe did average 28 6 an 5 on 46% shooting for a team that won 57 games, and generally had one of the best seasons of his career. Acting like the award was some kind of travesty is strange - I'm fairly certain that it would be far less controversial if a player not named Kobe with the same stats and level of play had won it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Leading his team to the 1st place in Conference, Lakers were already on top or close to the 1st seed even before the Pau trade, Kobe's numbers were the same with Pau as they were without

28/6/5/2 on 58%TS on a 1st seed is an earned MVP. Especially when you look at that Lakers roster. Pau for less than 30 games, Bynum only played 30 something games, Kwame was garbage prior to the trade, Walton & Radmanovic often started...we had no bench to speak of. 2008 Lakers had ZERO all-stars outside of Kobe and they won 57 games and were the 3rd best offense and 3rd best defense. Kobe had a remarkable season.
    Agreed ftmp

College superstar

kg didnt deserve the mvp, that is when boston assembled the ORIGINAL "big three".

it was between kobe,lebron,paul. you could have given it to either one, and i wouldnt have a problem with it.

National High School Star

ESPN's Micheal Wilbon and many others voters are on record calling Kobe's MVP a lifetime achievement. Remember, at this time it didn't look like he might win another ring so they said it "wouldn't be right" if Kobe retired without an MVP.

This is all on record.

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    Lifetime achievement, but also deserved, Kobe was awesome in 08. Almost a pity award of sorts because he got robbed in 06 and to an extent in 07.
    How was he robbed in 06? Dude average 28 shots per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    ESPN's Micheal Wilbon and many others voters are on record calling Kobe's MVP a lifetime achievement. Remember, at this time it didn't look like he might win another ring so they said it "wouldn't be right" if Kobe retired without an MVP.

This is all on record.
    Kobe had a better record than CP3, Lebron while having a worse roster that year (remember, he only had Pau for 20 something games in the regular season and he led his team to the top of the Conference before the Pau trade)
    KG was on a stacked roster

You can say that CP3 had prettier numbers, but he had a much better supporting cast(West > Pau, also had Chandler & Peja) and didn't do as much with his roster. Kobe was a better scorer, rebounder & a defender than CP3 in 08.

The MVP award proved to be legit in the post-season, CP3 lost in the 2nd round, a Game 7 played at his own house against the Spurs that Kobe dominated in the WCF(in 5 games) while Parker & Manu outplayed CP3 in their series..

Quote Originally Posted by Force

This is all on record.
    link or just blatant trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Relinquish
    How was he robbed in 06? Dude average 28 shots per game.
    27, not 28 and Kobe carried a bunch of scrubs to the Playoffs while putting up 35/5/5/2 for an entire season...