Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore Bl's Avatar

Default Re: What has Steve Kerr done to be considered to top coaching candidate?

white former nba player.

ewing has more coachign cred than him but kerr has superior genetics to some

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: What has Steve Kerr done to be considered to top coaching candidate?

[QUOTE=Bl

If anyone wants to read about Kerr's views on coaching have at it

http://knickerblogger.net/steve-kerr...-a-smart-hire/

Absolutely nothing. The only lucrative part is that Phil said Kerr would be an extension of himself. Kerr is basically going to be a puppet. Kerr has never done anything for him to be weighing his options on where he wants to coach. If you want to stay in Cali to be with your kids, than fck off and stay there. I'm tired of this guy already.

Not airballing my layups anymore Bl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    And why was Jackson sought after? He had no coaching experience. Or Jason Kidd? The NBA has a pretty diverse coaching pool certainly compared to other sports and that's not even including executives. Does Ewing have more coaching cred? Yes sure. Ewing has been interviewed for several jobs, the fact that he's never gotten one should tell you something. Some guys are better as assistants and that's that. Look at Kuester or Jim Cleamons. Diversity in coaching isn't much of a problem in the NBA. Each year there are more and more minority assistants as well which had historically been the path to becoming a head coach but that is now changing.
    kerr still has superior genetics and that is why he is a top coach

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Absolutely nothing. The only lucrative part is that Phil said Kerr would be an extension of himself. Kerr is basically going to be a puppet. Kerr has never done anything for him to be weighing his options on where he wants to coach. If you want to stay in Cali to be with your kids, than fck off and stay there. I'm tired of this guy already.
    What had Jason Kidd or Mark Jackson done to be considered candidates? If Kerr takes the Golden state job whose puppet would he be then?

5 rings.

Quote Originally Posted by FLDFSU
    But what about that makes him a *top* coaching candidate? Marc Jackson had much the same background and was never (not even today) considered a *top* coaching candidate?
    Tbh, I am not sure. Lol it seems like head coaches in the NBA like mark jackson and potentially Steve kerr are like US president candidates. They pop out of nowhere and become head coaches... Just because the gm or owner said so.

Not airballing my layups anymore

The same washed-up NBA coaches get recycled all the time, Mike Woodson, Rick Adelman, etc. Not sure what Kerr has, but it's worth a try. Stop repeating with coches who are proven mediocre and at least TRY some fresh blood.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    There's not that many good coaches out there. The market for them is desperate.

it's because NBA teams don't let coaches coach anymore, and everyone's coaching standards are pretty damn unfair.

Coaches need at least 3/4 seasons before an FO can really make a halfway decent determination on whether or not they are going to work or not. Giving a coach one or two years and pulling the plug is the way to go nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    What had Jason Kidd or Mark Jackson done to be considered candidates? If Kerr takes the Golden state job whose puppet would he be then?
    Those guys were both coaches ON the court during their time. Kerr? Role player. He never did any coaching, he was riding MJ and then Duncan's coattails to rings. I am more annoyed by him not making a decision. He is not a Popovich or Thibs, or anyone that has had success in the past to be having so many options. I am ok with giving him a chance, just join already though. I'm not saying he has to be a puppet, but he would be here on the Knicks.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

being white

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

hes made statements stating he likes the idea of utilizing two bigs and would rather stay away from a 4 guard line up. he also drafted dragic in the 2nd round, but did draft earl clark and he butted heads with Mike D and his system, which is why he left PHX to coach NY.

so maybe GM's know this stuff and want it implemented to their team. or maybe theyre using favoritism of him being a former NBA player with phils approval in aide to their decision

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I agree with his thinking here. I have some doubts about the ability of the triangle to run at an elite level in the current league. Loosening zone rules means it's easier to flood a floor defensively, meaning harder to do it offensively.

On top of that there are fewer players in the league than ever who are at an advantage with their back to the basket, which the triangle relies on. And the decreasing of hand checking has blown up the success rate of players working out of classic top pick and rolls that lead to kick outs or drop offs, which isn't something the triangle goes into naturally at all.

The fact that Kerr played for Pop, albeit not the same Pop that is working currently, is to me a bigger plus than his Phil Jackson experience.
    Thing is though, on a basic level, the triangle is all about spacing and ball movement, and having players who can drive/pass/shoot. Being a threat to shoot is how you kill a zone.

It's true that not having back-to-the-basket players to play the post position will limit what you can do with the offense. After the initial guard-wing pass which I think is in most of the triangle sets, I believe most of the first looks are to the post. Melo might be able to play it, but with all the ball movement, if the first option isn't there, you look to rotate/invert the main triangle. There are a ton of options though, and the triangle is meant to be tailored to the individual talent you have. Not every team would implement the offense in its entirety.

I do think there are real questions about how accustomed Kerr is with the offense though, how well he can teach it, and as someone said, how dedicated he is to using it.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Those guys were both coaches ON the court during their time. Kerr? Role player. He never did any coaching, he was riding MJ and then Duncan's coattails to rings. I am more annoyed by him not making a decision. He is not a Popovich or Thibs, or anyone that has had success in the past to be having so many options. I am ok with giving him a chance, just join already though. I'm not saying he has to be a puppet, but he would be here on the Knicks.
    What kind of player was Riley? Or Phil Jackson? These guys weren't studs and they sure weren't coaches on the floor. You of course realize that in basketball the best players aren't usually the best coaches, it's normally role players who are the best coaches. I mean was Rick Carlisle a stud? Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less if this dude coaches or not but I'm all for GMs and owners taking a chance on someone unproven and thinking a little outside the box.