Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 90's shooting gaurds vs 00's shooting gaurds

Taking out Micheal Jordan and Kobe Bryant out of the equation which era shooting gaurds where better:

Early to mid 90's:

Clyde Drexler
    Reggie Miller
    Mitch Richmond
    Joe Dumars
    Latrell Sprewell

vs

Early to mid 00's:

Allen Iverson
    Dwyane Wade
    Ray Allen
    Manu Ginobili
    Vince Carter

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Default Re: 90's shooting gaurds vs 00's shooting gaurds

I'd say 00's edge it on that.

NBA sixth man of the year

For the 90's you're leaving out Eddie Jones, Steve Smith, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, Allan Houston, Jimmy Jackson, Kendall Gill, Hersey Hawkins, and John Starks, and you might even throw Nick Anderson in there...They are not stars but when talking about depth, there's a good case for the 90's...

For the 2000's, you're leaving off Brandon Roy, Michael Redd, Richard Hamilton, Joe Johnson, Michael Finley, Kevin Martin, and Jerry Stackhouse...

Now looking at the whole picture, there's depth with both decades. If you look at today, the SG position has really fell off...

Edit - Forgot Monta Ellis for the 2000's..

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    For the 90's you're leaving out Steve Smith, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, Allan Houston, Jimmy Jackson, Kendall Gill, Hersey Hawkins, and John Starks, and you might even throw Nick Anderson in there...They are not stars but when talking about depth, there's a good case for the 90's...

For the 2000's, you're leaving off Brandon Roy, Michael Redd, Richard Hamilton, Joe Johnson, Michael Finley, Kevin Martin, and Jerry Stackhouse...

Now looking at the whole picture, there's depth with both decades. If you look at today, the SG position has really fell off...
    John Starks wasn't even that good

Quote Originally Posted by Relinquish
    John Starks wasn't even that good
    Do you ever contribute anything to any thread? John Starks certainly was good..He's just as good as any of those other 2nd/3rd tier SG's I listed...He played on a slow pace Knicks squad and was still a good scorer with pretty good defense...

Local High School Star robert_shaww's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Taking out Micheal Jordan and Kobe Bryant out of the equation which era shooting gaurds where better:

Early to mid 90's:

Clyde Drexler 1 ring
    Reggie Miller 0
    Mitch Richmond 0
    Joe Dumars (0 rings in the 90s)
    Latrell Sprewell 0

vs

Early to mid 00's:

Allen Iverson 0
    Dwyane Wade 1
    Ray Allen 0
    Manu Ginobili 3
    Vince Carter 0

4 vs 1.

because of Ginobili, give me the 00s

For the 90's you're leaving out Eddie Jones, Steve Smith, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, Allan Houston, Jimmy Jackson, Kendall Gill, Hersey Hawkins, and John Starks, and you might even throw Nick Anderson in there...They are not stars but when talking about depth, there's a good case for the 90's...

Edit - Forgot Monta Ellis for the 2000's..
    I went with a top 5 to shorten the list just because these were the more impactful players of the time. But this thread is not exclusive with just these players

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I went with a top 5 to shorten the list just because these were the more impactful players of the time. But this thread is not exclusive with just these players
    Yeah, I figured you were going for the top 5 best players...I just wanted to round it out so we can get a full picture...But honestly, its almost a tossup...Good thread by the way... +rep

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Do you ever contribute anything to any thread? John Starks certainly was good..He's just as good as any of those other 2nd/3rd tier SG's I listed...He played on a slow pace Knicks squad and was still a good scorer with pretty good defense...
    What do you want me to say? 00 is clearly better and there's no argument for the 90s. Starks played well in the playoffs but he was still probably the worst guard listed by a good margin.
    Last edited by Relinquish; 05-05-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Banned

its stupid to say "shooting guard" since allot of guys in the 2000's were do it all wings who brought the ball up. scored like a shooting guard and could drive

positions back in the 80's and 90's were more "pg pass first" "sg outsite shooter" and "sf post player"

if you look at wing players ( do it all guys who played outside allot of the time and scored like a shooting guard ) then you'l find the 2000's had far superior talent

guys like kobe/lebron guard each other... so whats a position really mean in the box score

i'd put melo/kd/bron/pierce and a ton more on that list

It's interesting, because I think Allen Iverson and I think of the 90s. He was such a main player when I think back to 96, 97, 98, 99. Then the year 2000 comes, if you put yourself in that moment, it's hard to associate Iverson in the 2000s, even though he played more years there. Ray Allen too, but he wasn't as big as Iverson.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

A.1 DWade Ginobli

Banned

let's be honest, how many of us watched prime dumars or prime clyde for more than a few torrent games or youtube videos? hard to judge, we all know they are all time greats and this makes it even harder to judge. also most of them were drafted one decade earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Relinquish
    What do you want me to say? 00 is clearly better and there's no argument for the 90s. Starks played well in the playoffs but he was still probably the worst guard listed by a good margin.
    Well, this is a better analysis than "durp, durp, John Starks was not that good "..All I ask for is reasoning to back up your beliefs...I don't have to agree with it...

90's was a weak era when it came to the wings. 2000's greatest era when it came to wings ever.