Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How underrated is Omer Asik?

I know he was a beast last year and nice in Chicago before that. I'm talking about earlier in the year when he was kind of being a b1tch but ppl were talking about him like he's a scrub.

Finally getting minutes, been averaging 10/13 the last two week and puttin up 12/18 on 59%FG over his last 5 games. Yeah, he sucks on offense, but he'll give you 10 points. Not bad for your team's 4th option on offense. And the guy's defense is ****ing solid, possibly elite.

I was shocked the Mavs / T Blazers didn't make a move for him... pretty much most of the Western teams battling for playoffs could really use him right now, plus a few East playoff teams, and even someone like NO. Imagine Asik next to Anthony Davis...

People shoulda made moves.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 04-08-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Default Re: How underrated is Omer Asik?

I don't believe he is underrated. Most teams made a move for Asik, but it was Houston who asked for high draft picks. But I guess you could make the case that Asik is worth more than these picks...

Banned

Every team needs an Asik.

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

A big reason for people discrediting his value (as a trade asset at least) is the financial burden his contract's 'poison pill' structure imposes. If his contract weren't so insane Morey would have had much better offers on the table. Also doesn't help that this is one of the best draft years for GMs to hang on to their 1st rd picks.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    I don't believe he is underrated. Most teams made a move for Asik, but it was Houston who asked for high draft picks. But I guess you could make the case that Asik is worth more than these picks...
    I think NO or maybe the Suns would have came up trading a draft pick, considering they have plenty of young talent. Asik is a guy who can be a "defensive force" in the playoffs, and would be great for most teams really. I think it's all about how much you value defense vs offense (in his case terrible offense)

There are a good number of Cs better than him, but he is an extremely valuable big man for a playoff team. Or a team looking to make the playoffs in the next 2 years. His rebounding is insane, his defense is excellent. 2 categories that are the most important in a C IMO.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 04-08-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Invaluable especially if he comes off your bench.

His ridiculous contract is ****ed up doe

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Seems properly rated as everyone likes him.

The real question is why sign Howard if you aren't going to trade Asik...

Seems like they should have gone after other free agents or players if they were keeping Asik.

Really dumb move by the Rockets in my opinion. It's redundant and unless they find a home for Asik this off season...next year will be another wasted year because I don't think the Rockets have enough to currently win.

If they had traded Asik...even for 50 cents on the dollar...the cap space alone for this summer would have been worth it.

I proposed a Marion/Dalembert/Larkin trade for Asik in a trade thread earlier and I still maintain that would have been a great trade for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Seems like they should have gone after other free agents or players if they were keeping Asik.

Really dumb move by the Rockets in my opinion. It's redundant and unless they find a home for Asik this off season...next year will be another wasted year because I don't think the Rockets have enough to currently win.

If they had traded Asik...even for 50 cents on the dollar...the cap space alone for this summer would have been worth it.

I proposed a Marion/Dalembert/Larkin trade for Asik in a trade thread earlier and I still maintain that would have been a great trade for both teams.

The Rockets weren't going to miss out on signing a star FA like Howard just to keep Asik. That's just silly. It's like saying you shouldn't go after Kevin Love when your team has a competent PF already. You do your best to get that all-star, and then worry about roster movements.

And frankly, I think it's actually best if the Rockets keep Asik and Howard, you get 48 minutes of great rebounding and solid inside presence. It was Asik who wanted to be traded so badly, but after the deadline, he realised he had to play better to get his trade worth up, so that the Rockets would be willing to deal him.

Also, for the Rockets to benefit from cap space, they would need to trade Lin and Asik together. Just trading one still only alleviates you of $8 million of cap space. Also, most GMs probably don't actually care about the $15 million Asik gets next year, since cap-wise it's only a $8.3 million hit. It's the owners who care, and the GMs are using it as an excuse to lower their bids for Asik.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

I will take him in SAC

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    The Rockets weren't going to miss out on signing a star FA like Howard just to keep Asik. That's just silly. It's like saying you shouldn't go after Kevin Love when your team has a competent PF already. You do your best to get that all-star, and then worry about roster movements.

And frankly, I think it's actually best if the Rockets keep Asik and Howard, you get 48 minutes of great rebounding and solid inside presence. It was Asik who wanted to be traded so badly, but after the deadline, he realised he had to play better to get his trade worth up, so that the Rockets would be willing to deal him.

Also, for the Rockets to benefit from cap space, they would need to trade Lin and Asik together. Just trading one still only alleviates you of $8 million of cap space. Also, most GMs probably don't actually care about the $15 million Asik gets next year, since cap-wise it's only a $8.3 million hit. It's the owners who care, and the GMs are using it as an excuse to lower their bids for Asik.
    I didn't mean it like they shouldn't have gone after Howard...

It just doesn't make sense to hold onto Asik once you get Howard.

think abou the rockets right now. unless something crazy happens...they aren't winning this year.

what about next year? well, they will have the exact same team and will be able to get better at the trade deadline, but I doubt it's enough to put them over the top.

So it seems by keeping Asik they have sacrificed this year and next in terms of winning the title. Seems odd to me...

I'm glad the Rockets weren't able to get equal value for him in a trade... because it would have netted them a nice player.

The real issue with both Asik and Lin will be next season, when their poison pill contracts cost the team 15m each. I guess at that point they may be able to move them as large expirers though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I'm glad the Rockets weren't able to get equal value for him in a trade... because it would have netted them a nice player.

The real issue with both Asik and Lin will be next season, when their poison pill contracts cost the team 15m each. I guess at that point they may be able to move them as large expirers though.
    They'll be able to move them at the deadline, but just not sure if that will get them enough to put them over the top.

That is why I thought it was paramount to trade Asik this year. 8 million of cap space is still 8 million of cap space.

But It's going to be tough for them regardless...they are going to have to pay Parsons after next year...and I'm not sure Harden/Howard/Parsons is enough to win.

Considering that the guy who is supposed to be our defensive anchor would rather try to be the MLK of marijuana than actually contribute to our ****ing basketball team, I'd do just about anything non-James Harden related for Asik.

Serious playground baller SHABBA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    I will take him in SAC
    With Boogie?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Agreed. Everybody likes Asik - he was never underrated. Problem is Morey won't trade him unless he gets some kind of Harden type steal again. Morey ALWAYS wants to come out the winner in a trade even if it's a detriment to a player on his team(Asik's been pissed all year). Kind of douchebag of a GM.

Compare that to Spurs front office - they knew Scola had value as a player but couldn't afford him(cheap owner). They did the player a favor and traded him to a division rival for cap relief - got raped in that trade but they gave Luis his NBA career. Put Morey in Buford's place and Scola might never have played for an NBA team.