Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default Is it racist for Asians to try to vote Jeremy Lin into the all-star game?

Would you consider this racist, to vote for someone of their own race simply because of that fact over an African-American or white player who is far more deserving?

Serious convo. I feel like if I as a white person voted for a white player simply because they were my race, I'd be torn apart for it.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Is it racist for Asians to try to vote Jeremy Lin into the all-star game?

He is their fave player so they have every right to vote for him. Is he a All Star calibare player? no, but they have that right to choose.I also don't see how it is racist, say if you blatantly chose not to vote for a African American player because of his skin then yeah then it is racist.

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Default Re: Is it racist for Asians to try to vote Jeremy Lin into the all-star game?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnymac
    He is their fave player so they have every right to vote for him. Is he a All Star calibare player? no, but they have that right to choose.I also don't see how it is racist, say if you blatantly chose not to vote for a African American player because of his skin then yeah then it is racist.

Racism doesn't always have to involve African Americans lol but I do get what you mean

Technically speaking it is not racist because the idea of voting for the allstar is about voting your favourite player into the game. Now everyone's reasons for a player being there favourite can be and will be different. There are no written rules saying how you have to determine who your favourite player is right ..?
    Plus on top of that Kobe is loved beyond belief in china so I don't think people are sitting there saying *** black people and voting for Jeremy

Jeremy is easy to promote he seems like a humble kid living the dream and enjoying it (similar appeal to agent zero days for arenas before the guns and massive contract) Jeremy is also open about being nerdish and doesn't act like something he is not. This would be appealing to the general fan who doesn't over analyse each game.

All in all racism in my eyes is hating someone for there colour not supporting your own kind because his the same race as you but in saying that I do below on a whole Asians are more racist than black and white people but that's another topic lol

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by sick_brah07
    Racism doesn't always have to involve African Americans lol but I do get what you mean

Technically speaking it is not racist because the idea of voting for the allstar is about voting your favourite player into the game. Now everyone's reasons for a player being there favourite can be and will be different. There are no written rules saying how you have to determine who your favourite player is right ..?
    Plus on top of that Kobe is loved beyond belief in china so I don't think people are sitting there saying *** black people and voting for Jeremy

Jeremy is easy to promote he seems like a humble kid living the dream and enjoying it (similar appeal to agent zero days for arenas before the guns and massive contract) Jeremy is also open about being nerdish and doesn't act like something he is not. This would be appealing to the general fan who doesn't over analyse each game.

All in all racism in my eyes is hating someone for there colour not supporting your own kind because his the same race as you but in saying that I do below on a whole Asians are more racist than black and white people but that's another topic lol
    I was using African Americans as an example. I could have easily the same about Hispanics, Asians, arabs, Persians....

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ronnymac
    He is their fave player so they have every right to vote for him. Is he a All Star caliber player? no, but they have that right to choose.I also don't see how it is racist, say if you blatantly chose not to vote for a African American player because of his skin then yeah then it is racist.
    Whether your driving force to choose to vote for or against someone solely based on race and skin color.. it's both race driven. So If you vote for a player strictly because he shares the same damn skin color as you when you know damn well there are superior players at the same position of other shades of color..yeah, that's driven by race. However the word that fits here isn't "racist".. it's "bigot". Racist root for the demise of other races, while Bigot's are complete homers and can't see outside of their own color. So yeah, there were a LOT and are a LOT of Yao and Lin Bigots.

Banned

Its not racist at all. In a league with so many asian fans and so little asian players, its not suprising that they would vote for him. He represents their community, so yhey can relate to him.

I think it is racist for any individual to vote for a player based on race.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Asians are some of the most racist ppl ive met real talk it not even pride for their kind they just big up each other and look down on others it sickening

Didnt Yao make allstar game w/o playin a game

Kobe doe

edit: come to think of it asians in the bay LOVE kobe, I seen it
    Last edited by oarabbus; 04-05-2014 at 05:51 AM.

In seattle it's racist to call out white fans who cheer for white players.

NBA rookie of the year

Hell no.

I admire them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    In seattle it's racist to call out white fans who cheer for white players.
    People will naturally be more drawn towards their own people.

Can you really blame Puerto Ricans voting for JJ Barea or etc for Dirk? It's just human nature. Can't blame Asian-Americans and other Asians for voting for Lin.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 04-05-2014 at 06:12 AM.

I vote for Barea every year

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    People will naturally be more drawn towards their own people.

Can you really blame Puerto Ricans voting for JJ Barea or etc for Dirk? It's just human nature. Can't blame Asian-Americans and other Asians for voting for Lin.
    We all have the right to vote for any favorite player we choose. To vote for someone of your own race because you identify with them is natural. To call it racist? Racist would be too strong a word for me partly because Asians aren't represented well in the NBA. So voting in an Asian is a source of pride. I can understand that.

Is it right though? I don't think so. As fans, we are not suppose to vote for just our favorite player, but the BEST PLAYERS. Fans should vote for the best players regardless of race.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Kobe doe

edit: come to think of it asians in the bay LOVE kobe, I seen it
    Most of those votes for Kobe were prolly from China

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

And this wave of Chinese votes has led to Lin starting in the ASG every season for the past three years.

Oh, wait...