Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Dispelling the Myth that Kobe had to accept the large contract offer.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    What does that have to do with anything? The guy called Duncan a role player and I established that he was anything but that.
    His play now isn't relevant to his play at the time of his contract extension.

Default Re: Dispelling the Myth that Kobe had to accept the large contract offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    His play now isn't relevant to his play at the time of his contract extension.
    Again, I didn't once mention contracts (either Kobe's or Duncan's).

The guy called Duncan a role player, averaging 11 and 9...and I simply pointed out he's wrong. He's been always been the defensive anchor and he's never averaged less than 13.5 PPG. In fact, his numbers have generally been around 15/10/2.5/2 in 30 or so minutes. Those aren't role player numbers, and anybody who has watched Duncan play would not his impact on the game far exceeds role player status.

Also, he was inferring that Duncan shouldn't be making 10 million right now, which is a load of horse shit
    Last edited by T_L_P; 03-16-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Again, I didn't once mention contracts (either Kobe's or Duncan's).

The guy called Duncan a role player, averaging 11 and 9...and I simply pointed out he's wrong. He's been always been the defensive anchor and he's never averaged less than 13.5 PPG. In fact, his numbers have generally been around 15/10/2.5/2 in 30 or so minutes. Those aren't role player numbers, and anybody who has watched Duncan play would not his impact on the game far exceeds role player status.
    The whole point of this thread is the contracts. I know you think you are proving something by posting in how few games/minutes Duncan is putting up decent stats but all it proves is how much the Spurs don't have to rely on Duncan to continue to win. You'd have a better argument if Duncan was pushing 2013 Kobe minutes.

The whole point of this thread is the contracts. I know you think you are proving something by posting in how few games/minutes Duncan is putting up decent stats but all it proves is how much the Spurs don't have to rely on Duncan to continue to win. You'd have a better argument if Duncan was pushing 2013 Kobe minutes.
    This thread is about contracts, but the post I was replying to wasn't.

I was merely pointing out that Duncan is not a role player...which he obvious isn't. If Duncan is a role player so is 95% of the league, including guys like Bosh and Lopez and Pau, which, again, is not true.

I have no position on Kobe's contract. Who knows how well he will play next season? He obviously brings in more than that to the franchise. However, Kobe cannot say all he cares about is winning, otherwise he would have taken a pay cut.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 03-16-2014 at 10:04 AM.

This thread is about contracts, but the post I was replying to wasn't.

I was merely pointing out that Duncan is not a role player...which he obvious isn't.

I have no position on Kobe's contract. Who knows how well he will play next season? He obviously brings in more than that to the franchise. However, Kobe cannot say all he cares about is winning, otherwise he would have taken a pay cut.
    Right. He should have signed with the Spurs for the min. Otherwise it was all lip service.

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    Kobe aint about winning anymore. He got old, and already has his rings so now hes all bout that talk and no longer walking the walk.
    This.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Or it could just be that having a player capable of anchoring an elite defense while giving you like 15/10/3...and also a great leader and teammate...is more valuable than a "me first" offensive minded, ball dominant wing player that doesn't even try to play defense anymore.

Could be that as well...no doubt Duncan has had better and more consistent teams for regular season success than Kobe, but I think it's time we start questioning how important the ability of Duncan to be so good without the ball in his hands...and anchor great defenses still...and be a selfless teammate that is willing to do what is best for the team....how much that matters...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Right. He should have signed with the Spurs for the min. Otherwise it was all lip service.
    So you really think if Dirk were to sign a 25 million dollar a year contract this off-season...he would have the right to go after management for not getting him a championship level squad?

Come on now...Dirk would have every right to get the money, but he can't then turn around and act like it's all about winning or blame the higher ups for not doing their job....unless he was going hard on them for giving him his 25 million...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    So you really think if Dirk were to sign a 25 million dollar a year contract this off-season...he would have the right to go after management for not getting him a championship level squad?

Come on now...Dirk would have every right to get the money, but he can't then turn around and act like it's all about winning or blame the higher ups for not doing their job....unless he was going hard on them for giving him his 25 million...LOL
    Kobe's contract extension goes in place next season. The Lakers are terrible right now. His beef wasn't about high price talent. It was about "the culture". You don't need even more cap space than enough to sign Lebron James to a maximum contract to put Jeanie Buss in charge and hire Tom Thibodeau.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Or it could just be that having a player capable of anchoring an elite defense while giving you like 15/10/3...and also a great leader and teammate...is more valuable than a "me first" offensive minded, ball dominant wing player that doesn't even try to play defense anymore.

Could be that as well...no doubt Duncan has had better and more consistent teams for regular season success than Kobe, but I think it's time we start questioning how important the ability of Duncan to be so good without the ball in his hands...and anchor great defenses still...and be a selfless teammate that is willing to do what is best for the team....how much that matters...
    Yeah how much does it matter? It apparently matters 25% less. You savvy? We don't have to play hypotheticals on whether Kobe Bryant ball wins championships.