Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Vintage NBA: George Mikan

now how the fukc is any of you people really implying that a dude from the 50s that look like decently fit librarian with a hook shot could be a valuable NBA player today is beyond me.

great FT and post moves Doe you gotta be able to stay on feet and hold your position to use/get them or have some tom chambers like athleticism. A 6'10 and that physique&speed this white boy would get thrashed. THRASHED.

lmao again @aaron gray last resort comparison.

Daam boy daam this thraed made my day.

High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    My conclusion is that he he would not even sniff the league.
    With all due respect: your conclusion is irrelevant.
    History has it ways to come to its own conclusions and they tend to last longer.

What I see from the (few) highlights of mikan:

- Excellent hook shot (mikan drill, etc) but lacking a proper post game: up and under, jab steps, fade aways, power dunks, etc ... won't be scoring too much against NBA level athletes.
    - A constitution lacking lower body strength with relatively small shoulders at only 6'10'' ... would be bullied for position and would certainly not rebound well.
    - low athleticism, and absolutely no rim defense... would give a layup/dunk drill to the other team.

My conclusion is that he he would not even sniff the league.

So enlighten me please as to why I may be wrong.
    Here's some light for you: Nobody in his era tried to teach him the crap that you mention that he lacked. Do you even know that "lack" means? Suppose someone on the road robs a multi-millionaire who might happen to carry only $100 with him. I guess if the robber had your "logic", he'd think "gee, this guy lacks money".
    Also, if you think Mikan had small shoulders, you may need some actual light.
    at the muscles crap. Show us Zidrunas' muscles. Kaman's muscles. Even young Kareem's muscles. Not to mention non-C Durant, who was billed by some too weak to do anything serious in the NBA when he failed his strength tests as a rookie.

now how the fukc is any of you people really implying that a dude from the 50s that look like decently fit librarian with a hook shot could be a valuable NBA player today is beyond me.

great FT and post moves Doe you gotta be able to stay on feet and hold your position to use/get them or have some tom chambers like athleticism. A 6'10 and that physique&speed this white boy would get thrashed. THRASHED.

lmao again @aaron gray last resort comparison.

Daam boy daam this thraed made my day.
    Keep burying yourself even more, ignorant child.

I'm pretty sure you've never even played a minute of organized basketball in your life and you know nothing about the game.. yet you keep on going Ignorant shit all around man

Since you like posting pics, I can do it too:

Look at some of these white-boys, wouldn't be shit in this era.... wait....
    And Mikan - for example - didn't even come up with all these "luxuries" you can think of, plus with players to "learn from".

Shot only 40% for his career. Not being rude but he wouldn't be sh*t in today's NBA. Probably a very poor man's david lee. He wouldn't survive with those pencil arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Shot only 40% for his career. Not being rude but he wouldn't be sh*t in today's NBA. Probably a very poor man's david lee. He wouldn't survive with those pencil arms.
    What about Clyde? posted about him in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    What about Clyde? posted about him in this thread
    Which Clyde?

Which Clyde?
    If you haven't seen this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAuQLyeB9mM

At the same time, Chamberlain was often paying a physical toll, getting slapped, elbowed, poked, pulled and scratched himself.
    "The things I saw guys to do him was unbelievable," said teammate Al Attles. "Clyde Lovellette hit him with that elbow that drove Wilt's lower teeth up into his jaw and put him the hospital and caused an infection. That was the worst of it, but he was always being beat up and abused."

"BOSTON (AP) - San Francisco's Wilt Chamberlain floored Boston's Clyde
    Lovellette with a punch in the nose Monday night, but the Celtics floored the
    Warriors 124-101 and took a two game lead in the final National Basketball
    Association Playoffs.
    THe Lovellette-Chamberlain incident, at the foul line in the fourth period,
    touched off a near riot.
    The fourth period squabble came about when the officials called Lovellette for
    fouling Chamberlain. The two big pivot men had words and some scuffling ensued.
    Then, Wilt turned his kayo punch loose, knocking Lovellette to this knees.
    Blood streamed from the big Boston center's nose.
    Both benches emptied onot the floor and police were called in to help restore
    order.
    Auerbach seemed the most incensed of all. Russell had a difficult time pulling
    his coach off the court and back to the bench.
    The only action taken was the upholdig of the foul against Lovellette. Nobody
    was thrown out and Chamberlain calmly dropped in the free throw."
    Him

Him
    He's fat. Not hating but he is an Aaron Gray in today's NBA.

No muscle, looks slower than a sloth without legs. That won't translate in this era

He's fat. Not hating but he is an Aaron Gray in today's NBA.

No muscle, looks slower than a sloth without legs. That won't translate in this era
    If you saw pics - taken with an old camera - from Marc Gasol, Kevin Love or David Lee (like I've posted, for example), without having no idea who they were or what they could do, you would say the same though...

But keep talking (ignorant) shit for the **** of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    If you saw pics - taken with an old camera - from Marc Gasol, Kevin Love or David Lee (like I've posted, for example), without having no idea who they were or what they could do, you would say the same though...

But keep talking (ignorant) shit for the **** of it.
    Lol you actually think they'd be good in this era? You're just mad as hell. I just watch Mikan's highlights and that dude played with 0 defense. A bunch of slow, weak, small guys. Im not the only one saying this. Mikan was also toothpick skinny

and why do you care what I say?
    You're acting like I just killed your family
    Last edited by Smook A.; 03-13-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Lol you actually think they'd be good in this era? You're just mad as hell. I just watch Mikan's highlights and that dude played with 0 defense. A bunch of slow, weak, small guys. Im not the only one saying this. Mikan was also toothpick skinny

and why do you care what I say?
    You're acting like I just killed your family
    Duck the point I was making tough, and I'm the one who's mad

Thanks for posting. Nice highlights video, people should check it out.

If you watch his highlights, you can see that he looks pretty skilled and smart, with some nice moves and a soft touch around the rim including a good hook-shot (good FT shooter too, underhanded), plus he was 6'10, 250 lbs while pretty mobile - all of this, at least to me. One would think he would be good regardless - even a good starting C nowadays, if he grew up in this era and dedicated his life to basketball - but you can say the shot-clock affected his play considerably, even though he was on the decline before and hadn't play for year.. So, I wouldn't "vouch for him" really, although it's more like a can't tell situation.

Of course ignorant people will just say that he would straight up suck no matter what, not even knowing what they're talking about in reality. They will also talk that (mostly) bullshit about the athleticism and whatnot, when dudes like Marc Gasol, Perkins, Splitter or Pekovic "can be" starting centers in this league. Same old same, it is what it is.

As for Lovellette, I think he could definitely be a good starting PF/C if he grew up in this era, while dedicating himself to basketball, yea.

If players like Love, Gasol, Nash or Dirk, for example, played back in the 60's, and if you've saw a couple of grainy-footage highlights from them, along with some old pictures.. you'd be saying the same exact things about them. This is just an "example", don't take the comparisons to the extreme though, but it paints a good picture. It's saddening with some of you ignorant children but it's just the way it is.

Duck the point I was making tough, and I'm the one who's mad

As for Lovellette, I think he could definitely be a good starting PF/C if he grew up in this era, while dedicating himself to basketball, yea.

If players like Love, Gasol, Nash or Dirk, for example, played back in the 60's, and if you've saw a couple of grainy-footage highlights from them, along with some old pictures.. you'd be saying the same exact things about them. This is just an "example", don't take the comparisons to the extreme though, but it paints a good picture. It's saddening with some of you ignorant children but it's just the way it is.
    nig you salty as hell and apparently you can't read for shits.

I don't give no fukcs that 90% of center skillset wasn't teached in his era, we talkin bout now in this league so we compare him to what is now not what ifs. Here's a what if. What if he couldn't apply these magically new acquired skills due to proven low mobility? Or what if he couldn't pull them off in games due to very probable low strength? Or what if he couldn't even stay in games due to being destroyed on defence? Or being too slow to guard his man.
    What if he decided the librarian life suits him better tbh?
    Much more probable.

I posted pictures of his physique because given his proven skill set (very low btw) and low athleticism/mobility/hops (from highlights) he not doing shit without a huge physical advantage. But guess what doe? He a toothpick with a high center of gravity. Yet you think you're smart posting pictures of guys who have enormouse size/length/skiill advantge in the gasol brothers or davis lee who is athletic as fukc and very mobile. You kiddin me?

If players like nash/love/gasol/etc would have grainy film you would see they had elite competition. You would see elite ball handling and shooting. You would see an elite post game for gasol and a magnificent high post game for dirk. You would see exceptional ball handling. You would see them playing plays. You would see absolutely elite mobility and coordination. You would see textbook boxing out and lower body strength at love. You would see alot tbh. [COLOR="Lime"]Great comparison btw[/COLOR]

and lmao @durant .. that's like comparing a starving caveman to a nasa scientiest from a game comparison.

The fact that you can come back only with personal shit calling people 12 without argumenting properly just shows what a self-entitled cuckolded sissy you are, prolly reaching senility at retirement age.

Might as well recommend you this

Nigggas im done with this thread. Soon jlauber/lazaereus gon come out of nowhere with 6k word essay

nig you salty as hell and apparently you can't read for shits.

I don't give no fukcs that 90% of center skillset wasn't teached in his era, we talkin bout now in this league so we compare him to what is now not what ifs. Here's a what if. What if he couldn't apply these magically new acquired skills due to proven low mobility? Or what if he couldn't pull them off in games due to very probable low strength? Or what if he couldn't even stay in games due to being destroyed on defence? Or being too slow to guard his man.
    What if he decided the librarian life suits him better tbh?
    Much more probable.

I posted pictures of his physique because given his proven skill set (very low btw) and low athleticism/mobility/hops (from highlights) he not doing shit without a huge physical advantage. But guess what doe? He a toothpick with a high center of gravity. Yet you think you're smart posting pictures of guys who have enormouse size/length/skiill advantge in the gasol brothers or davis lee who is athletic as fukc and very mobile. You kiddin me?

If players like nash/love/gasol/etc would have grainy film you would see they had elite competition. You would see elite ball handling and shooting. You would see an elite post game for gasol and a magnificent high post game for dirk. You would see exceptional ball handling. You would see them playing plays. You would see absolutely elite mobility and coordination. You would see textbook boxing out and lower body strength at love. You would see alot tbh. [COLOR="Lime"]Great comparison btw[/COLOR]

and lmao @durant .. that's like comparing a starving caveman to a nasa scientiest from a game comparison.

The fact that you can come back only with personal shit calling people 12 without argumenting properly just shows what a self-entitled cuckolded sissy you are, prolly reaching senility at retirement age.

Might as well recommend you this

Nigggas im done with this thread. Soon jlauber/lazaereus gon come out of nowhere with 6k word essay
    Personally I dont think they would be stars but would make the league...And would be very serviceable if put in right situation.

Side question, how do you think Pekovic, Laimbeer and Olynyk would do as is in the 50s and 60s?

I am your soldier!

That might be the f*cking worst, most nonsensical simile I've ever read.

What the f*ck do you asshats get out of degrading past players? LeBron is a choker whether or not Mikan was good. Kobe's still a chucking rapist.

It's stupid.

You're stupid.

I hope you drown in a bucket of jizz.