Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Kobe & Duncan Duo

7 rings and Kobe is top 5 all-time with several more MVPs.

FMVP is a split between them. I say Kobe 4 and Duncan 3. Duncan in the early years, Kobe later.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    How many rings would they win together under Pop?

Could they surpass Shaq and Kobe?
    What's this confused shrug business about?
    You just sitting at home wondering things, then you get confused about it? You can't come up with your own answer? I'm guessing you're waiting to hear others opinions before forming your own so you can lean to the popular side.

Kids these days are terrible, no brains, no ambition
    [Charles Barkley]TURRIBLE[/Charles Barkley]

Get an education and a personality you bum

My answer, no, Kobe would sabotage any relationship to be the alpha

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    7 rings and Kobe is top 5 all-time with several more MVPs.

FMVP is a split between them. I say Kobe 4 and Duncan 3. Duncan in the early years, Kobe later.
    I agree with this. 7 would be a pretty safe guess imo.

99-05': Tim Duncan was incredible, especially in the playoffs. Solid offensively, game changer defensively. Coincidentally, Kobe from 99-03' was at his peak level of defensive intensity. I think they could have easily won 3 during this time period since Kobe/Shaq/Duncan combined for 6 out of the 7 titles during these seasons. I think Duncan takes FMVP in 02' and 03' and Kobe takes MVP in 01' just going off of how they performed during the playoffs during those seasons. I think 3 is a conservative number for this time period since you make Shaq less of a factor by taking away Kobe.

06-07': Kobe's peak years offensively. During these years, Duncan's defense alone would have made the duo contenders with the type of offense Kobe was capable of putting up. I think they win both 06' and 07' since Duncan won in 07' and they are much less likely to choke in the Finals than the Mavs. 06' FMVP would most likely belong to Kobe and 07' belong to Duncan.

08'-10': Kobe's mature years. Despite Duncan being an obvious upgrade over Pau, I think the duo would still only take 2 out of the 3 rings during these years. The Celtics were incredible defensively and Pau was playing at a very high level himself. Kobe would still win FMVP both seasons.

I honestly believe that Kobe under Pop would be an even better player than he is today, with Phil's coaching. I think Kobe would be a much more dominant off-ball player, more cooperative with his teammates, and he would be able to use his vast BBIQ in the right way. I don't think we'd see as many of those insane scoring bursts (9 straight 40+ point games, 4 straight 50+ games, 81, etc.), but I think he would be a much more complete basketball player.

The interesting thing is that Pop's teams are always maximized on an individual basis, so Kobe's prime would not be wasted the way it was with LA. We haven't seen peak Kobe with a good roster...and now we're talking about a scenario that includes peak Kobe + prime Duncan in a Pop system? That's just absurd.

We already know what Duncan has become with Pop - the GOAT PF.

I think this duo + Pop could surpass Kobe-Shaq quite easily. Maybe not in peak play considering how incredible Kobe-Shaq was in 2001, but if you throw in collective accolades and longevity, I see them being the best duo ever.

5 rings easily, maybe 6-7.
    Last edited by Milbuck; 03-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    You just sitting at home wondering things, then you get confused about it? You can't come up with your own answer? I'm guessing you're waiting to hear others opinions before forming your own so you can lean to the popular side.

Wtf, Who phucked your wife?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    I honestly believe that Kobe under Pop would be an even better player than he is today, with Phil's coaching. I think Kobe would be a much more dominant off-ball player, more cooperative with his teammates, and he would be able to use his vast BBIQ in the right way. I don't think we'd see as many of those insane scoring bursts (9 straight 40+ point games, 4 straight 50+ games, 81, etc.), but I think he would be a much more complete basketball player.

The interesting thing is that Pop's teams are always maximized on an individual basis, so Kobe's prime would not be wasted the way it was with LA. We haven't seen peak Kobe with a good roster...and now we're talking about a scenario that includes peak Kobe + prime Duncan in a Pop system? That's just absurd.

We already know what Duncan has become with Pop - the GOAT PF.

I think this duo + Pop could surpass Kobe-Shaq quite easily. Maybe not in peak play considering how incredible Kobe-Shaq was in 2001, but if you throw in collective accolades and longevity, I see them being the best duo ever.

5 rings easily, maybe 6-7.
    I agree, Pop's style is to maximize a player's talent in the most efficient way possible whereas Phil's style is more catered towards letting his star players do whatever they want and making the pieces fit around them.

Banned

Dude is trippin.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Dude is trippin.
    Ikr?

How many rings you got for a Kobe and Duncan duo? The key is that Pop is coaching imo.

Me

It's a stupid question asked by a kid.

Here's mine: How many championships for Wilt if you combine him with Maurice Stokes, Dr J, Walt Frazier and Dennis Johnson in this era?

NO one know numbnuts, just appreciate te fact that you are alive and able to watch how great Tim Duncan is

Banned

Me

It's a stupid question asked by a kid.

Here's mine: How many championships for Wilt if you combine him with Maurice Stokes, Dr J, Walt Frazier and Dennis Johnson in this era?

NO one know numbnuts, just appreciate te fact that you are alive and able to watch how great Tim Duncan is
    You Mad?

You Mad? :confusedhug:

You guys are shitting on this discussion with your confused shrugs. It's a shame, this is actually a pretty interesting topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    You guys are shitting on this discussion with your confused shrugs. It's a shame, this is actually a pretty interesting topic.
    I agree, but this dude has some sort of massive stick up his ass when it comes to hypothetical discussions.

What am I to do? Except

Wait you got ALL of that from a "confused shrug"?