Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Lakers might not rebuild this offseason. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i said this would happen and that kobe will demand a trade next season before the allstar break ( depending on if he is able to play well obviously )

if he can even get back to just 80% of what he was in 2012-13.. then he'l get interest from new york or brooklyn.
    What can those teams even offer to match Kobe's salary without blowing up their rosters. Additionally I have doubts those teams would be contenders even with prime Kobe. The only way Kobe is not a Laker is retirement or if they buy out his contract.

The Lakers are basically building from scratch other than having Kobe and Nash on the roster. Seems like that might take more than one off season to turn it around. Other than the Celtics and Heat I can't remember many bad/mediocre teams turning it around in one off season, and the Lakers currently don't have the opportunities or circumstances that lead to those turn arounds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    What can those teams even offer to match Kobe's salary without blowing up their rosters. Additionally I have doubts those teams would be contenders even with prime Kobe. The only way Kobe is not a Laker is retirement or if they buy out his contract.

The Lakers are basically building from scratch other than having Kobe and Nash on the roster. Seems like that might take more than one off season to turn it around. Other than the Celtics and Heat I can't remember many bad/mediocre teams turning it around in one off season, and the Lakers currently don't have the opportunities or circumstances that lead to those turn arounds.

amare straight up

joe johnson straight up

both teams are at around 100 mill.. would be easy to swing a trade and not even mess up the teams balance

amare straight up

joe johnson straight up

both teams are at around 100 mill.. would be easy to swing a trade and not even mess up the teams balance
    Also Nash will retire, bank on it baby

amare straight up

joe johnson straight up

Those teams still wouldn't be contenders doe
    no point in Kobe demanding out and hurting his legacy if it isn't for a top 3-5 team.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Those teams still wouldn't be contenders doe
    no point in Kobe demanding out and hurting his legacy if it isn't for a top 3-5 team.
    Kobe + KG on the same team

u mad? buttfrustrated? hahaitme's Avatar

Robert Horry should come out of retirement and bail this pathetic lakers team out of it's sorry excuse for a season

Banned

i said this would happen and that kobe will demand a trade next season before the allstar break ( depending on if he is able to play well obviously )

if he can even get back to just 80% of what he was in 2012-13.. then he'l get interest from new york or brooklyn.
    no winning franchise will trade for Kobes old ass on his current contract I am sorry

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Kevin Love is the only can't go wrong sure thing they got.

Kobe should retire and not embarrass himself. He's only going to hold the Lakers back now.

NBA Legend

#TeamKoKo

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
    I was just reading on yahoo sports that the Lakers might not go all out and rebuild this offseason. Why?

The Lakers have to build a championship team again while Kobe is still playing well.
    Lakers aren't going to spend money just to spend money

They'll make a run at a couple free agents they may have their eyes on but if that doesn't pan out they'll sit back and wait.

The CBA is so restrictive now that teams have to be patient and avoid putting themselves in a place where they are stuck financially from making improvements.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Lakers aren't going to spend money just to spend money

They'll make a run at a couple free agents they may have their eyes on but if that doesn't pan out they'll sit back and wait.

The CBA is so restrictive now that teams have to be patient and avoid putting themselves in a place where they are stuck financially from making improvements.
    All true but with what Bryant's being paid and the short amount of time left in his career can they afford to wait? Why give Bryant that contract if you aren't going all out?

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    All true but with what Bryant's being paid and the short amount of time left in his career can they afford to wait? Why give Bryant that contract if you aren't going all out?
    two reasons, one Bryant puts butts in the seats

secondly, you have to go forward with a plan, that plan has to start somewhere and it wisely started with Kobe. if it works great but they have to remain fluid and open to things not unfolding the way they hope it does.

as for his last two years, Kobe's a big boy so are the Lakers... they both know the big picture, they both know there's no guarantees. they sat down and talked, Lakers shared with Kobe their plans, Kobe shared what he felt he has to offer, both sides agreed continuing the partnership into the next two seasons looks doable.

We're not dealing with idiots here, these people do this for a living, nobody involved is going to go into this blind, they all know how the CBA works, they all know what's realistic/doable and what's not.

it's some of the fan base that's delusional...lol expecting unicorns and the what not

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    two reasons, one Bryant puts butts in the seats

Even when hes faking an injury to avoid the hit to his pride of playing on a d-league level team?

The Lakers should have known better. When there is no winning team around Kobe that he can take credit for with contrived scowls and corny hero catch phrases, he sulks and quits and hides behind "injuries."

Not like I really care, Jim Buss is weak minded and afraid of Kobe, so I have no sympathy for him when he gets hung out to dry by the dude. I understand Kobe has a ton of cache with Buss' customer base but the Lakers are "supposed to" be bigger than any one player. This dude lets Kobe run the Lakers. So do the fans. It really is a cult of Kobe. Mindless people worshipping their hero even as he takes advantage of them. Really does remind me of a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
    I was just reading on yahoo sports that the Lakers might not go all out and rebuild this offseason. Why?

The Lakers have to build a championship team again while Kobe is still playing well.

I've been saying this to my friends. Where do you think they're going to get these players that'll put them in contention? For one, Kobe is eating up a good portion of salary, and two there aren't many free agents to sign that won't hurt their cap in the future if they hope to land stars later. And three they have no major trade assets.

Lakers rebuild is going to take several seasons.