Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Complete Player

Default Re: Why did teams in the past average such high ppg if defense was tougher

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    Bron wouldn't be able to handle the physicality though. John Stockton could, but 6'8 250 pound Lebron would get punk'd by monsters like John Starks and Isiah Thomas.
    Please don't use that excuse. Lebron couldn't score on this hobbit or 38 year old 6'3 Jason Kidd when it mattered The Mavericks straight up disrespected Lebron in that series letting midgets like Barea and Kidd guard him and he could still do nothing. That's probably the main thing that finally made him wise the **** up and work on a post game.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Why did teams in the past average such high ppg if defense was tougher

better fundamentals all across the board

passing
    midrange shooting
    teamwork

theres a reason why basketball isnt as popular today. i talk to people all the time who used to like basketball and they all say the same thing. NBA basketball is less of a team game than it has ever been. and thats why they stick to college bball.
    Last edited by f0und; 03-06-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Please don't use that excuse. Lebron couldn't score on this hobbit or 38 year old 6'3 Jason Kidd when it mattered The Mavericks straight up disrespected Lebron in that series letting midgets like Barea and Kidd guard him and he could still do nothing. That's probably the main thing that finally made him wise the **** up and work on a post game.
    Barea flops like crazy every time LeBron tries to back him down. A slight bump from LeBron and Barea ended up in the third row. I was actually Marion and his help defense that actually slowed him down. That coupled with LeBron being a passive bitch led to his '11 Finals performance. Do you idiots not remember what he did to the Bulls' defense (one of the best defenses in a LONG time) in the previous round or the #2 (that season) ranked Celtics, the round before that?

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Barea flops like crazy every time LeBron tries to back him down. A slight bump from LeBron and Barea ended up in the third row. I was actually Marion and his help defense that actually slowed him down. That coupled with LeBron being a passive bitch led to his '11 Finals performance. Do you idiots not remember what he did to the Bulls' defense (one of the best defenses in a LONG time) in the previous round or the #2 (that season) ranked Celtics, the round before that?
    You don't have to ram into some little hobbit when you have skill Lebron didn't even know what he wanted to do when he backed anyone down because he had no post moves or counters to speak of. When Lebron's jumper went cold he had nothing left to rely on except fast break buckets. That's why he played passive. Once that jumper stopped falling and the fast breaks dried up he had nothing left in the arsenal. That's why the Mavs could get away with putting Barea or Kidd on him in the half court.

Quote Originally Posted by f0und

passing
    midrange shooting
    teamwork

theres a reason why basketball isnt as popular today. i talk to people all the time who used to like basketball and they all say the same thing. NBA basketball is less of a team game than it has ever been. and thats why they stick to college bball.
    College hoops is unwatchable dude.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

passing
    midrange shooting
    teamwork
    Yep. It's hard to stop a team from scoring that has 4 or 5 guys on the floor that can knock down a midrange shot and are automatic when left open.

passing
    midrange shooting
    teamwork

this - well said. simple and true.
    Last edited by diamenz; 03-06-2014 at 11:26 PM.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Pace.

And yea, hate to break it to ya, but Bran is a pansy.

Defense in the olden days was a joke. I know many older posters are gonna be offended but it's the truth. As time goes on, the game evolves. I know 20 years from now, I'm not gonna be as stubborn as these geezers stuck in the past