Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Sochi Olympics should be fun

I know some people living in Sochi and they're telling me the majority of this reporting is bullshit... there are plenty of hotels, water isn't brown and etc...

Don't believe everything you read. America is on a smear campaign against russia.

Americans for the most part are sheltered. It's no surprise majority of Americans do not have an American passport and when they are abroad they are known as the complaining types "in America we do this" type of attitude.

I even heard some talk show hosts complaining about their phones being tapped in Russian and they mentioned as a journalist they would never go to Russia because of it. Umm hello, what about NSA?

Point being, Americans are finding ways to shit on Russia for the Olympics. TBH the Russians are no better and some of their stories on RussiaToday about America are just as biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi
    This report sound so fake it is almost laughable, they uploaded malicious software? how? and how did they know they had the option to record and such. Is there any proof provided showing how they know the phone and laptops were hacked? I am seeing a "Check out the full report:" but cannot press on it.

Then again the whole world is suveilled by NSA probably through all the smartphones so who cares.
    Malicious software is super easy to load onto your computer. Have you never had a your search engine changed? Or persistant popups? Tons of folks get Malwal everyday.

Just like you download a page to your computer. By attempting to connect to the internet at a public wireless hotspot. Have you ever done this? You might type in google.com, but the page you get says, this is your free wireless hotspot, you must agree to our terms of service, click here to agree ......Then when you click the button you trigger the download. This is just off the top of my head, I'm Russian hackers are about a million times more savy than I am.

Travellers to Russia are warned to turn off their wifi completely.

Then there's the fact that SORM, Russia's NSA has deep packet inspection control of all internet traffic within Russia. SORM doesn't have the NSA's foreign capabilities, but domestically, it has none of the NSA's legal restrictions AND it's required that any internet company in Russia allows SORM full access to their system.

The way it works in the US, is there is a warrant and then the telecoms segregate the data relevant to that warrant and secure FTP it to the NSA. For targets, (currently Google has less than 10,000 targeted accounts), it's full content of the accounts. The bulk capture program scoops up metadata. It's justification is based on Supreme Court ruling that this is not private info, you have already shared the number you have called with the phone company For phones this would be a list of numbers called and times, no information about what was said on the call, no geolocation data, no names connected to the other numbers. For the most part, nothing at all happens with this metadata. It becomes the giant haystack through which the NSA searches for needles. Literally even, they start with a cell phone of a foreign terrorist and they do chain linking of all the numbers he called, what gets returned is a phone number not a name. A name isn't even useful at this point, until you can analyze the numbers to see which are the most fruitful. If a domestic US number is called and they feel there's a reason to go further, they turn to the FBI. But they definitely want the list of numbers, because they want to be sure they have a complete haystack. This why when the panel looked at NSA they didn't find current abuse, they found the potential for abuse and recommended changing, but not abolishing the metadata program. By the way, the FISA court, just agreed to some of the proposed metadata changes this week.

This is FAR LESS intrusive than what occurs in Russia where they are doing real time searches and blocking content and have far greater access to domestic internet traffic.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 02-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    It's not coming from private investors. The opposition figure said it's about 96% taxpayer money.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...r-sochi-charts

For people saying they are spending $50 billion because the investment will pay off, don't really understand how long it would take to get any return on investment.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 02-07-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    russia is corrupt. so is usa. this isnt news. stfu people
    The news last week was hammering NY for it being too cold, on and on about the Super Bowl. Reporters are little babies who want things to be perfect or they whine. Why people are flying to Sochi's defense like this is a cultural thing is beyond me, i'm sure the complaints range from valid to invaild but this really isn't people bashing another country, people always nitpick the host. China did "too much", any event in the US is too spread out, everyone has not enough transporation, etc. People act like Sochi was made 2 years ago for the purpose of having sports. But that's not new...that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    You gotta understand that not everywhere is the US. I agree with rufuspaul...have an open mind and be a little adventurous and you'll probably be alright in SoChi. America and its people are pretty sheltered from the rest of the world so it wouldn't surprise me that some would be up in arms over little things like that. Go with the flow. Laugh about it. Pack it up in your toolbox of cool stories to tell in your life.
    So when you take a dump in Australia, do you sit down and breathe in multiple people's fecal matter that their aromas are just blending in the waste basket right when you walk in the stall? That shit is gross for a developed, first world country. I could accept it more if that were a stall in somewhere like Sudan, Haiti, Sri Lanka. Russia is not far removed from being a major world superpower. Nikkas spent more on this Olympics than any other in history and ppl can't even flush their excess butt waste?

"If it's brown, flush it down." -Every first world power Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    The news last week was hammering NY for it being too cold, on and on about the Super Bowl. Reporters are little babies who want things to be perfect or they whine. Why people are flying to Sochi's defense like this is a cultural thing is beyond me, i'm sure the complaints range from valid to invaild but this really isn't people bashing another country, people always nitpick the host. China did "too much", any event in the US is too spread out, everyone has not enough transporation, etc. People act like Sochi was made 2 years ago for the purpose of having sports. But that's not new...that's normal.
    The media are divas who overvalue their self importance. Some of the celebrated ones are tough as nails and do whatever it takes for their job but the majority from all the news sources that get rotation at big important events expect to be pandered to. I can't even imagine their reaction to some of those people landing in and seeing the accommodations in a nation like Russia where self-importance isn't exactly a paramount ideal to display.

I bet a lot of the primped media members rolled in Sochi, saw their rooms lookin like shit in the mental ward in a hospital and bein like
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 02-07-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Malicious software is super easy to load onto your computer. Have you never had a your search engine changed? Or persistant popups? Tons of folks get Malwal everyday.

The tech adviser to the NBC piece says he will publish a blog with details on it today. One thing he mentioned was this hacking could happen anywhere, not just Sochi.

So far, he has mentioned this detail. "The compromised droid was not uninitiated. It was an .apk dropped from browsing to a .RU Sochi themed nefarious site..."

Report that a Ukranian national hijacked a Turkish plane and demanded to be flown to Sochi.
    Pilots landed the plane in Instabul. Passengers and crew still on board. Hijacker is said to have a bomb.

Banned

The tech adviser to the NBC piece says he will publish a blog with details on it today. One thing he mentioned was this hacking could happen anywhere, not just Sochi.

So far, he has mentioned this detail. "The compromised droid was not uninitiated. It was an .apk dropped from browsing to a .RU Sochi themed nefarious site..."

Any updates?